Friedman: Oilers interested in Hutchinson and Mrazek

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In all honesty though. Talbot sounds like he could be back by the end of the week. I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers did nothing and just rode LB until hes back. Id like to see them give Ellis a shot though before he goes back down.
If Talbot is going to be back by the end of the week that's only one or two more games for Brossoit, and honestly, aside from the goal against Toronto, he looked pretty good on the weekend. I wouldn't be upset if we ran with him again next game, he earned that much in my opinion. The real thing that us fans need to remember is that Chiarelli didn't bring in a backup because he wanted to see what Brossoit could do at the NHL level. If he was playing awful through this entire stretch, I'd be worried, but I think he needed a few more starts to figure things out. It has to be hard for a rookie goalie to find the speed and adjust his game to the NHL pace when he plays one or two games a month only. Give him a couple more games, it isn't Brossoit's fault that we lost against the Leafs.

Nov 24, 2006
The Jets shouldn't trade Hutchinson, unless it's for a better backup goalie.

First off, he hasn't been very good or consistent at the NHL level.

Second, he has little value (3rd-5th round pick maybe)

Third, they may actually need him if another goalie has a long term injury, as Eric Comrie doesn't appear to be ready at this point in time.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
"Hey, we'd like your third string, overpaid goalie, what's fair?"

"How about you recent top 5 draft pick who is progressing well this year and looks like a good piece to build around for the future? We'll add mid round picks if needed?"

Hey now I'm sure there were other valuable things from between Cheveldayoff's couch cushions on the table, like Tanev, Petan, and Dano...

I don't know when people will figure out that offers like 'Hutchinson++++ for JP' will just get you laughed at.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If Talbot is going to be back by the end of the week that's only one or two more games for Brossoit, and honestly, aside from the goal against Toronto, he looked pretty good on the weekend. I wouldn't be upset if we ran with him again next game, he earned that much in my opinion. The real thing that us fans need to remember is that Chiarelli didn't bring in a backup because he wanted to see what Brossoit could do at the NHL level. If he was playing awful through this entire stretch, I'd be worried, but I think he needed a few more starts to figure things out. It has to be hard for a rookie goalie to find the speed and adjust his game to the NHL pace when he plays one or two games a month only. Give him a couple more games, it isn't Brossoit's fault that we lost against the Leafs.
The only thing im not liking about LB's game so far is he's prone to that 1 bad goal a game.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hey now I'm sure there were other valuable things from between Cheveldayoff's couch cushions on the table, like Tanev, Petan, and Dano...

I don't know when people will figure out that offers like 'Hutchinson++++ for JP' will just get you laughed at.

No one should be suggesting Puljujarvi in any of these comments.
Dano and Petan would have value to teams that need skilled players.
They are trapped behind a fairly deep Jets roster (not their fault).
Tanev who was the poop we all wanted scraped off our shoes last year has been an incredible surprise this year. Copp-Lowry-Tanev have been one of the most effective checking lines in the league for the last month.
He's never going to score much but he's faster then the vast majority of players in the league and his effort and physicality have made him very effective.

The Moose need Hutch.
Last year was a disaster but he did finish strong and has been terrific in the AHL this year (goalie of the month for November).

A team would have to have a perfect fit role player who's value isn't that high in a vacuum but would be the right fit for the Jets. Thus the win - win scenario is created. Easier said then done.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The only thing im not liking about LB's game so far is he's prone to that 1 bad goal a game.
We need to give him time to work that sort of thing out, or move on completely. That's a confidence and focus thing. I agree that its an issue, but if he eliminates it then we have a real good young goalie on our hands as it is the only major complaint.

Reactions: THall4

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Everybody needs their opportunity to learn the lesson, apparently. Because the alternative involves watching while other people learn and learning from that, and really, who has the patience for that nonsense?

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would keep Hutch. Jets need the depth for this long season and for a deep run in the playoffs....

If Edmonton can't cough up a 2nd round pick or a positional player with value, must be a young D'man - Jets don't need anything else ...

No reason for Winnipeg to do this.

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Reardless of when Talbot comes back, I think that the Oilers have to be looking for a NHL backup.
Brossoit is not looking like he is ready for the role yet.
I feel that he would easily clear waivers at this point.

How about Petr Mrazek (G) for Mark Fayne (RD) straight across?
Mrazek will be a RFA without arbitration rights, but there is no way that Detroit will qualify him at the required $4.15M (nor would any other team).
Fayne will be a UFA who will be extremely lucky to get a NHL contract anywhere close to his current $3.625M (from any team).
Why the Wings do this:
Detroit saves $1.275M in Cap Space; as they can bury Fayne in the AHL, just like Edmonton is currently doing.
Why the Oilers do this:
Edmonton uses a little of their Cap Space to provide insurance for Talbot during the balance of this season.
Yes, I know that their $7.1M in Cap Space is not enough to cover their Carryover Cap Bonuses ($825k) and Potential Cap Bonuses ($7.725M).
But I certainly don't expect that any of the Oiler's players (except McDavid) will earn anywhere near all of their bonuses this season.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
We need to give him time to work that sort of thing out, or move on completely. That's a confidence and focus thing. I agree that its an issue, but if he eliminates it then we have a real good young goalie on our hands as it is the only major complaint.
Was listening to Gregor on the ride home last night..he has a segment weekly with Kevin Woodley from InGoal Magazine. He mentioned the possible reasoning for LB's "sloppiness" is because he uses extremely soft and flexible equipment which really actually help the puck squeak through small openings. And said LB should really look at changing that up.

On the bright side, sounds like Talbot might be ready to go as early as tonight. But I see them starting him vs. NAS if that's the case.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I would keep Hutch. Jets need the depth for this long season and for a deep run in the playoffs....

If Edmonton can't cough up a 2nd round pick or a positional player with value, must be a young D'man - Jets don't need anything else ...

No reason for Winnipeg to do this.
Good luck getting that for your 27yr old $1.3M 4th string goalie.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I really don't understand why some Jets fans are so against trading Hutch. He'll be UFA after the season and Comrie is higher in G depth chart right now. A mid round pick is great value for a AHL 1B goalie that is gone in 6 months.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Good luck getting that for your 27yr old $1.3M 4th string goalie.

Not sure if people are actually reading our responses or not. For about the 50th time we don’t want to trade Hutch. Period

Clear enough?

I don’t understand why people can’t grasp this simple concept

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not sure if people are actually reading our responses or not. For about the 50th time we don’t want to trade Hutch. Period

Clear enough?

It's because that report came out that Winnipeg might be wanting to shed salary. They won't from the active roster of course, but trading a 1.3 million dollar minor league makes sense in that regard. It doesn't always matter what us fans want.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
It's because that report came out that Winnipeg might be wanting to shed salary. They won't from the active roster of course, but trading a 1.3 million dollar minor league makes sense in that regard. It doesn't always matter what us fans want.

Correction- Friedman “speculated” the Jets “might” like to trade him due to his contract.

Big difference between speculation (nearly meaningless) and confirmed report.

Helle & Mason are our roster goalies on the Jets.

Comrie & Hutch are our roster goalies on the Moose.

Both teams are pushing for playoff spots this year, which is very important. Hutch is a ufa after the season, so there is zero long term fiscal risk.

Comrie has two total nhl games in his career both of which he did poorly. Average is 4.54 gaa and .878 sv%

Hutch has 99 nhl games with a 2.63 gaa and .910 sv%

If we’re talking a return of only a mid to late round pick why would we ever want to trade Hutch who is our most experienced goalie and based on results best goalie outside of the nhl?

Friedman made a dumb comment based on zero facts. No one would trade Hutch at this point, dumb idea.

Reactions: Pongs21

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Correction- Friedman “speculated” the Jets “might” like to trade him due to his contract.

Big difference between speculation (nearly meaningless) and confirmed report.

Helle & Mason are our roster goalies on the Jets.

Comrie & Hutch are our roster goalies on the Moose.

Both teams are pushing for playoff spots this year, which is very important. Hutch is a ufa after the season, so there is zero long term fiscal risk.

Comrie has two total nhl games in his career both of which he did poorly. Average is 4.54 gaa and .878 sv%

Hutch has 99 nhl games with a 2.63 gaa and .910 sv%

If we’re talking a return of only a mid to late round pick why would we ever want to trade Hutch who is our most experienced goalie and based on results best goalie outside of the nhl?

Friedman made a dumb comment based on zero facts. No one would trade Hutch at this point, dumb idea.

mario01

Nov 9, 2017
No interest in trading Hutchhttp://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/isna/6/o.png

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Clear enough?

I’d be more than willing to move him if we get something worthwhile back. Right now he’s a big part of a very good AHL team and good insurance policy against injury. I value that more than a 4th/5th round pick.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Reardless of when Talbot comes back, I think that the Oilers have to be looking for a NHL backup.
Brossoit is not looking like he is ready for the role yet.
I feel that he would easily clear waivers at this point.

How about Petr Mrazek (G) for Mark Fayne (RD) straight across?
Mrazek will be a RFA without arbitration rights, but there is no way that Detroit will qualify him at the required $4.15M (nor would any other team).
Fayne will be a UFA who will be extremely lucky to get a NHL contract anywhere close to his current $3.625M (from any team).
Why the Wings do this:
Detroit saves $1.275M in Cap Space; as they can bury Fayne in the AHL, just like Edmonton is currently doing.
Why the Oilers do this:
Edmonton uses a little of their Cap Space to provide insurance for Talbot during the balance of this season.
Yes, I know that their $7.1M in Cap Space is not enough to cover their Carryover Cap Bonuses ($825k) and Potential Cap Bonuses ($7.725M).
But I certainly don't expect that any of the Oiler's players (except McDavid) will earn anywhere near all of their bonuses this season.

Detroit doesn't need to move Mrazek's contract for the sake of just moving it. It expires in a few months anyhow and Wings could use him as a backup until the offseason.

Throw a pick in with Fayne and you'll peak our attention. Otherwise no point in wasting time drawing up the paperwork. Wings are not desperate for extra cap space this season.

Carson22

Oct 9, 2017
Hutch and his remaining $700k for this year is much more valuable to the Jets as

A) an insurance policy if helly or mason or even Comrie gets hurt
B) a solid pairing for the moose team who are currently in first place with a very young team
C) a sign that the jets arent going to sacrifice what the Moose have been working hard to achieve this year
D) experience gained in the playoffs for players like Roslovic, Lemieux, Appleton, Comrie, Petan, De Leo, Niku, Poolman, Harkins, etc....

As opposed to what the will get if they are going they are going to trade him away to get a late round pick and to save $700k (which the moose will easily make for them with playoff appearances) The late round pick will not help the jets, the moose, and will not save them money in the long run. They are 7mill under the cap. They don’t need space, they are sellers. Supply and demand.

If oilers are out in the ocean drowning...and there is a player that can stop them from drowning...the are going to say....no thanks to that life preserver....we are only giving up a 4th for him, and to top that off their fans are going to laugh when the jets ask for overpayment? Funny. Sink bitches.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I’d be more than willing to move him if we get something worthwhile back. Right now he’s a big part of a very good AHL team and good insurance policy against injury. I value that more than a 4th/5th round pick.

That’s what virtually all of have stated. But realistically we’re not going to get more then his market value which is low.....thus no point trading him for a mid to late round pick that’s worthless to us.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Hutch and his remaining $700k for this year is much more valuable to the Jets as

A) an insurance policy if helly or mason or even Comrie gets hurt
B) a solid pairing for the moose team who are currently in first place with a very young team
C) a sign that the jets arent going to sacrifice what the Moose have been working hard to achieve this year
D) experience gained in the playoffs for players like Roslovic, Lemieux, Appleton, Comrie, Petan, De Leo, Niku, Poolman, Harkins, etc....

As opposed to what the will get if they are going they are going to trade him away to get a late round pick and to save $700k (which the moose will easily make for them with playoff appearances) The late round pick will not help the jets, the moose, and will not save them money in the long run. They are 7mill under the cap. They don’t need space, they are sellers. Supply and demand.

If oilers are out in the ocean drowning...and there is a player that can stop them from drowning...the are going to say....no thanks to that life preserver....we are only giving up a 4th for him, and to top that off their fans are going to laugh when the jets ask for overpayment? Funny. Sink *****es.

A) I'd like to hear the odds on all 3 goalies above him getting hurt at the same time for long period of time. Not worth to lose assets by letting Hutch go for free after the season because there is a minimal chance of something happening.
B) Comrie-Phillips is good enough to stay in top 5 of AHL at this point, and being better than that on regular season doesn't change anything.
C) Exactly what are they sacrificing by trading him? They'll make the playoffs without him. As the number one Jets goalie prospect, Comrie should get the playoff games anyways, so nothing is lost there
D) Again, trading Hutch doesn't magically make the 18-5-3 record disappear, so all those guys will get the experience you want them to get.

I also think Hutch deserves a chance to play in the NHL again with his AHL performances, and that isn't happening in Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad