Friedman: Oilers interested in Bjugstad and Gostisbehere

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Man, Hampus Lindholm was once there for the taking but the Bruins brass is way more intelligent than the Oilers brass.
I think Holland has learnt in his time in Edmonton it isn't easy to sign UFAs. I think it is why he has said he won't trade a 1st for rentals. Boston is a great place for UFAs , Edmonton is a place you go to pump up your value playing with McDavid. Funny thing is some of the greatest players in NHL history called Edmonton home and were happy to be there. Point is I doubt Lindholm would of re-signed in Edmonton so your point is moot.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So these trades are done then?

These people who complain that improvements to a team have to be done in a certain order drive me nuts.

Like the ones who fill entire threads on team boards in the offseason whining that a team signs a guy for league minimum when they still have a big-name guy without a contract. It’s ridiculous.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Did they fix their goaltending and defense yet or nah?

I don't know why the question is so hard. Where I am the internet is really slow and spotty, so I'm actually asking you if the trades are completed. It's hard for me to check!

I mean, if it's "typical" any rumours should be finished and signed off right?

Sorry if my response is slow, this dang internet..

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Did they fix their goaltending and defense yet or nah?
Well they locked up a decent goalie (who is on a decent win streak) for the next 4 seasons .
The backup is playing the all-star game.

Fixed or not.. goaltending is SET in Edmonton.

Only issue with defense is inexperience when it comes to Bouchard/Broberg and Desharnais. Just need veteran rentals for the playoffs pushing Broberg and Desharnais back to AHL even though they look good in NHL and maybe Bouchard to #7.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
I think Holland has learnt in his time in Edmonton it isn't easy to sign UFAs. I think it is why he has said he won't trade a 1st for rentals. Boston is a great place for UFAs , Edmonton is a place you go to pump up your value playing with McDavid. Funny thing is some of the greatest players in NHL history called Edmonton home and were happy to be there. Point is I doubt Lindholm would of re-signed in Edmonton so your point is moot.
I think a lot of Canadian cities suffer from this. I've spent some time in Edmonton and yeahhh it would be a tough sell if I had other options but in all Canadian markets the media is intense, the fans are intense, expectations are high, the tax structure for athletes is meh, and to top all of that, Canadian winters are miserable.

When you consider all the teams in the US now and all the places to play, Canada is a tough sell, and I don't blame players for not wanting to stay beyond pumping their value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad