Oilers in the conference final?

Steveshutt

Sep 22, 2007
Have been watching a lot of their games recently and they are playing ridiculously well. I'm a Habs fan obviously so I think I'm being objective. Correct me if I am not.

So fast, physical, carrying all the play and rising at the pace of an emerging dynasty. I'm old enough to have seen a few young teams firing on all cylinders like this and it's a beautiful thing to see.

I'm thinking conference finals and dare I say - even more?

Am I delusional or are the Oilers the second best team in the west?

How far do you think they'll go?

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves haha.. we're stoked to be in the playoffs.. would be elated if we won a round!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
A team with pretty much no playoff experience making it all way to the conference finals or even more?

Doubtful.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Way too early. Remember when 8th seed Montreal beat Washington and Pittsburgh in 2010? It doesn't matter how dominant a team looks in the regular season, they have to put up or shut up in the playoffs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
On the right path, depends on matchups id say... personally idk that theyll gwt out of first round but will be a great learning expierence for the young players and give the mangement a good idea on what they need to add next season

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
We're just happy to be in the playoffs.

This.

I do like the balance of the team though and have shown the mental resilience required. However, this team has not been the playoffs yet, is young and certain players in the lineup need to play to their salary more. Signs are positive at the minute but that can change.

If the team wins 1 round I will be ecstatic. 11 years is a long time.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Any team can make the finals once the playoff starts, that is what makes hockey great. It can be unpredictable. Teams like Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina, New Jersey, Anahem all made the finals, tho they all did lose (not counting the years Canes/Ducks won it, only the years they were major underdogs).

The better more predictable team ends up winning the Finals when its against the underdogs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers are definately winning alot lately, but the performances don't quite stack up to the record honestly. I wouldn't annoint the team as firing on all cylinders yet. Players like RNH and EBS still havent gotten fully going. The 3rd line, while good, could still see improvement. IF the Oilers DO start firing on all cylinders though, look out because you got yourself a real deal cup contender.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Any team can make the finals once the playoff starts, that is what makes hockey great. It can be unpredictable. Teams like Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina, New Jersey, Anahem all made the finals, tho they all did lose (not counting the years Canes/Ducks won it, only the years they were major underdogs).

The better more predictable team ends up winning the Finals when its against the underdogs.

I don't know if i really buy into the anything can happen mantra. Who was the last surprise team that won the cup? Kings?

I don't count the Penguins as a surprise team either. They were a cup contender being held back by coaching.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Have been watching a lot of their games recently and they are playing ridiculously well. I'm a Habs fan obviously so I think I'm being objective. Correct me if I am not.

So fast, physical, carrying all the play and rising at the pace of an emerging dynasty. I'm old enough to have seen a few young teams firing on all cylinders like this and it's a beautiful thing to see.

I'm thinking conference finals and dare I say - even more?

Am I delusional or are the Oilers the second best team in the west?

How far do you think they'll go?

Only three teams I see them having a problem with are Chicago Anaheim and Nashville. Chicago being the only team they would have to have Talbot stand on his head to win a series against.

Conference final is my expectation at this point (won't be disappointed whenever they are knocked out).

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Oilers are my dark horse pick from the West.

In my opinion they have that x-factor, and what i mean by x-factor is they have the ability to win games that they really shouldn't. When you have McDavid and Talbot playing as well as he is, and a team that can play surprisingly well defensively, you can win those 1 goal games on the road where you're being badly outshot.

They also have a good mix of young guys and guys who have been around the league for a long time. Yeah, not many of their veterans have much playoff experience, but that just means everybody are very hungry for success.

They also have great momentum going into the playoffs, gaining confidence against the teams they will face along the way.

And i don't think any of the teams in the Pacific are that much better than them.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Hawks-Oilers WCF. Hawks would be too much though, that's where the likes of RNH will likely hurt the team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I honestly don't think it's out of the question. Maybe not this year, but I see the Oilers as Stanley Cup contenders starting in the 2018 postseason.

Mostly because of McDavid. This guy is so good, he completely transforms that roster. And they have many other good players, too.

They're really close actually. I think they'll win a cup in the next few years.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Tell that to Vancouver in 2011.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
It's not impossible. If they draw the Flames in the first round i think the Oilers win that in 5-6.

The real challenge will be a team like The Ducks. Big, Physical, and playoff tested. They would be a huge challenge for a young team like the Oilers in their first real playoff run. I'd say that one would be Ducks in 6-7. But that would be a huge step forward for you Oiler fans. And I still wouldn't bet against them winning it in 7.

Even though as an American, it is my sworn duty to root against any Canadien team winning the Cup...lets just say the Oilers would be the team that would upset me the least ;) Lots of great posters on the Oilers forums, and a lack of undeserved arrogance that some fans seem to have about their team.

*Eh, I guess Winnipeg wouldn't be that bad either.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Winning the division finals is absolutely NOT delusional.

First off, we're tops in the division atm, and this is a divisional playoff system so chances are we will be facing Pacific teams. We are actually also much better against western opponents than against Eastern, and better against Pacific than Central.

Second, Calgary and SJ have been slumping. SJ may have lost Thornton. If we can count those two out, or at least worse than us atm, then that really ramps up the odds. As for Anaheim, they would have better odds than us, but not by a crazy margin. They've had struggles in the past, not just this season but in previous playoffs of recent years.

There is the chance we'll face a Central team, but Nashville and St.Louis have their own flaws. They're not easy opponents even though they are lower than us, but they wouldn't trounce us either.

edit: and let me just add that I do think we would have our most trouble by far once we get out of the division. We are weaker against Central teams, so the Conference final would be a real tough one, and we're worst of all against the East, so the SCF would be even tougher.

Last edited:

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I think only the Blackhawks and Ducks would clearly beat them in a series. Any other team in that conference, the Oilers would be the favorite.

However, I think Talbot gets tired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad