News Article: Oilers History: The Opening Act – 1981 Playoffs Montreal vs Edmonton

HometownHockey

Oilers History: The Opening Act – 1981 Playoffs Montreal vs Edmonton

Oilers_Habs81_L.jpg

For those of us who were lucky enough to watch the Edmonton Oilers grow into one of the finest teams the game of hockey has ever produced, it was a moment in time none of us will ever forget. As successful as they were during their initial decade in the NHL, it was the Oilers 1981 first round playoff series against the Montreal Canadiens that ultimately sent Wayne Gretzky and company on their way to greatness.

READ MORE...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/EDM0079.php

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
IMO this was the closest we got to the 1970s Montreal Canadiens vs the 1980 Edmonton Oilers (The heritage classic doesn't count). Montreal was depleted they no longer had Ken Dryden, many of their stars from the 79 Stanley Cup team had retired were nearing the end of their career or moved to another team. Still seeing Larry Robinson and Guy Lafleur playing against Gretzky and Messier was still special. It is the only time these 2 teams have met in the playoffs. I always wished the Oilers had won that game 7 in 1986 and they would have most likely made it to the finals against Montreal. My 2 favorite teams in the finals that would have been awesome. I tried to get all 3 of the 1981 games, but it seems no one has all 3 of these games in decent quality. I ordered all 3 of theses games from a hockey dvd seller online but the quality was so bad it was barely watchable. I also had purchased the NHL Vault hoping these games would be on there but no luck. There are a few decent clips of these games on youtube in good quality so I am sure there is full length games in good quality out there somewhere. Watching the Oilers in the 80s always gets me excited I keep hoping like all Oilers fans that one day we will have a strong enough team to win another Stanley Cup(s).

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Everyone has always talked about the Oilers and Montreal at the time, but for me it was finally wiping out the New York Islanders run of the 80's that stood out in my mind.

I never did get the big deal about the Canadiens series.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I remember watching that series, enjoying he best play by play hockey guy ever in Danny Galavan. Sather had taken the big risk of calling up some junior B minor league goalie from Witchita named Andy Moog and starting him.

Makes sure you call up youtube highlights of that series, it is well worth it.

As for the non significance of the series, if the present day Oilers squeaked into the playoffs and beat Chicago or LA in the 1st round it would be a pretty big deal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Everyone has always talked about the Oilers and Montreal at the time, but for me it was finally wiping out the New York Islanders run of the 80's that stood out in my mind.

I never did get the big deal about the Canadiens series.

huh? Beating the Canadiens was a huge coming of age event for this young Oiler club. It would be like the present bunch of kids beating out a club that had been dynastic SC winners not long before.

That performance against Montreal was strong foreshadowing of greatness to come. It was an epic high.

edit whoops, Beerfish said basically the same thing above.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
huh? Beating the Canadiens was a huge coming of age event for this young Oiler club. It would be like the present bunch of kids beating out a club that had been dynastic SC winners not long before.

That performance against Montreal was strong foreshadowing of greatness to come. It was an epic high.

edit whoops, Beerfish said basically the same thing above.

@ Beerfish and Replacement. I don't know how old you were at the time, but I was 9 or 10. Kids see things a little bit differently than old fart curmudgeons like yourselves.

:D

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was a huge deal for a WHA team to beat the greatest organization in hockey. It gave the Oilers instant credibility (until they lost it next year when they beaten by the Kings in that wild first round series). Nobody saw it coming and I think it was embarrassing for the hockey establishment at the time. It was the beginning of all the outside hate that would eventually be directed at the Oilers.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
@ Beerfish and Replacement. I don't know how old you were at the time, but I was 9 or 10. Kids see things a little bit differently than old fart curmudgeons like yourselves.

:D

This is very true I also think it is the reason old fart curmudgeons like me but less stock in our cup run in 2006 as the younger generation for which it was a bigger deal.

For any of the really young group of fans go and watch at least some of the glory years teams. Take the best most entertaining hockey you have seen in the last 10 years and then double it. The Oilers were a juggernaught of skill.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
It was a huge deal for a WHA team to beat the greatest organization in hockey. It gave the Oilers instant credibility (until they lost it next year when they beaten by the Kings in that wild first round series). Nobody saw it coming and I think it was embarrassing for the hockey establishment at the time. It was the beginning of all the outside hate that would eventually be directed at the Oilers.

Outside of Calgary, was there that much hate towards the team?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Outside of Calgary, was there that much hate towards the team?

You would not believe how many Oiler haters there were. Especially vitriol towards Gretzky.

I witnessed it first hand with family on the Canadiens side and living in Calgary (family that is).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad