Confirmed with Link: Oilers Hire Scott Howson as VP of Player Development

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
ah, I don't like this wormtounging on Chia from the likes of the old regime (Bob Green, Lowe etc)... first the terrible acquisition of Reinhart now Howson again!

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
How much power does Chia really have if MacT, Lowe and Howson still get to stay around? Yeesh.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I wonder if maybe Scott Howson actually IS the best candidate for the job and it's just a coincidence he worked for the Oilers before?? What does a VP of player development do?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Now that I've had time to think about it, if he's just replacing Bucky's role, that's probably a non-job. I mean what exactly DID Bucky do? Seemed like an excuse just to give the man a paycheque.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Step 1: Acquire Keegan Lowe
Step 2: Promote Howson to VP Player Development
Step 3/4: Re-sign McDavid/Draisaitl to long-term deals
Step 5: Chia steps down, due to 'private matters'
Step 6: Introducing our new management team:

President of Hockey Ops: Kevin Lowe
VP Hockey Ops: Katz's son
VP Player Development: Scott Howson
General Manager: Craig MacTavish
Head Coach: Kelly Buchberger

The evil empire begins anew!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder if maybe Scott Howson actually IS the best candidate for the job and it's just a coincidence he worked for the Oilers before?? What does a VP of player development do?

If that was the case then why let him go or demote him or whatever the hell it was they did last summer?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
None of us know what Howson has done with our org since returning. We don't even know for sure that he was connected to the Nikitin signing.

I don't think any GM comes into a team, and just fires absolutely everyone. Chia brought in his own people for some stuff, but surveyed what talent the Oilers had, on the ice and off, and he's keeping the parts he likes. MacT was a bad GM but probably a good assistant GM, and probably Howson is good at dealing with players.

Nicholson and Katz are where the buck stops, and there's no way they would put up with a situation where the old boys' club started bossing Chia around, as if they even had the authority (laughable)

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Howson may not have been ready for a GM job, but that doesn't mean he's not a hard working and bright individual. He wouldn't have these opportunities with the Oilers and other organizations otherwise. I'm sure he'll be a valuable personnel hiring for the front office.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Chiarelli should have destroyed all of Lowe's rings, now the evil is rising. :laugh: On a serious note, how are these guys still around, given all the **** they have done and the amount of backlash from fans?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Howson may not have been ready for a GM job, but that doesn't mean he's not a hard working and bright individual. He wouldn't have these opportunities with the Oilers and other organizations otherwise. I'm sure he'll be a valuable personnel hiring for the front office.

He wasn't even that bad of a GM.

If you look at that Blue Jackets team that made the playoffs in 2013, it was almost entirely his team. Kekelainen added a fourth liner and got the praise for turning that organization around.

That's why I don't get the hate for Howson. He's actually been far more competent than MacT/Lowe and hasn't ran his mouth to the media. Is it all because he might have recommended Nikitin as a UFA?

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
He wasn't even that bad of a GM.

If you look at that Blue Jackets team that made the playoffs in 2013, it was almost entirely his team. Kekelainen added a fourth liner and got the praise for turning that organization around.

That's why I don't get the hate for Howson. He's actually been far more competent than MacT/Lowe and hasn't ran his mouth to the media. Is it all because he might have recommended Nikitin as a UFA?

This.

He did a good job in Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad