Confirmed with Link: Oilers Hire Scott Howson as VP of Player Development

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Even if you blame him for the Nikitin trade/signing, he's done plenty of good in his career to negate that. He did get the current vezina trophy winner out of philly for scraps.

Plenty of other things to complain about, move along.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
It's moves like this that really make me wonder if Kevin Lowe is actually behind these moves.

This entire offseason reeks of Kevin Lowe. You know he wouldn't stay in the shadows if the backlash died down and thanks to McDavid it did.

Have no doubt he's meddling again. If Oil turn it all around he wouldn't be able to resist all the glory that comes with it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't think its that big of a deal, but some habits are had to break. this is the second time they've rehired him because he couldn't get on anywhere else.

Or, maybe they told him: 'just lay low for a year, we'll take you back when this Ol' Boys Club business wears off'

As long as KLowe is a part of the organization (which is until he dies) his friends will have a job there too. Oh well, as long as they're not in the big chair.

Oilers gotta Oil.

#becauseoilers.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
One of the brightest minds in the game once called Howson "one of the best evaluators of talent that is out there". Said by an EMBA, 4 time stanley cup winner, former NHL coach (final appearance), NHL GM, and current NHL SVP of hockey operations. Someone that has really seen it all and climbed the cutthroat competitive ladder of the NHL said that. How can you argue with that?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
One of the brightest minds in the game once called Howson "one of the best evaluators of talent that is out there". Said by an EMBA, 4 time stanley cup winner, former NHL coach (final appearance), NHL GM, and current NHL SVP of hockey operations. Someone that has really seen it all and climbed the cutthroat competitive ladder of the NHL said that. How can you argue with that?

Who dat?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

lolololowe.jpg

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Its things like this that get us into trouble. Chiarelli should be able to have his own guys and this reeks of the old boys club. This is the kinda crap that ends up with us giving up a ton to trade for griffin reinhart

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
His role is overseeing the drafted players playing in juniors, college and Europe. He said as much on Oilers Now. He has nothing to do with the Condors.

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
WTF, I've been away all weekend and I come back to this? Guys like a cockroach, just won't go away.

Also like a fruit fly...even a bedbug.

The same 3 who ran the team into the ground for a decade still stays employed in senior positions. Old Boys Club forever.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Its things like this that get us into trouble. Chiarelli should be able to have his own guys and this reeks of the old boys club. This is the kinda crap that ends up with us giving up a ton to trade for griffin reinhart

I didn't realize we made multiple trades where we overpaid for Oil King players.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Nobody uses EMBA. Just an MBA. Good on MacT for taking the time to do that in his career.

MacT was a pretty decent coach. Arguably the second best coach the Oilers have had besides Sather. Too soon to judge McLellan.

That being said MacT was an unmitigated disaster as GM. What he said about Howson highlights how bad he was as a GM. No need to denigrate his accomplishments as a player or coach.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The thing about MacT and Howson is they are really good at certain things. The problem and it's very similar to Eakins is someone decided to trust these guys with too much power. They then went on to look like idiots as they just simply are over their heads.

The key is to find a role for these guys that keeps them happy as they want more power, but at the same time keeps them in cheque.

As far as I'm concerned MacT and Howson are decent options for scouting College and Europe. As for Eakins, he deserves more just not NHL coach.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Nobody uses EMBA. Just an MBA. Good on MacT for taking the time to do that in his career.

MacT was a pretty decent coach. Arguably the second best coach the Oilers have had besides Sather. Too soon to judge McLellan.

That being said MacT was an unmitigated disaster as GM. What he said about Howson highlights how bad he was as a GM. No need to denigrate his accomplishments as a player or coach.

The joke was more about how awesome the reference was, ignoring that it was one of the OBC boys that gave him the compliment.

And his nearly impossible to fail weekend course EMBA he got using his reputation to get in the program and cash is worth a laugh because it was presented to OIlers fans as a reason he was qualified to be an NHL GM, which could not have been more wrong. Was a sad excuse for Lowe and MacT to make it seem like his hiring wasn't just another OBC move giving unqualified people top jobs.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The joke was more about how awesome the reference was, ignoring that it was one of the OBC boys that gave him the compliment.

And his nearly impossible to fail weekend course EMBA he got using his reputation to get in the program and cash is worth a laugh because it was presented to OIlers fans as a reason he was qualified to be an NHL GM, which could not have been more wrong. Was a sad excuse for Lowe and MacT to make it seem like his hiring wasn't just another OBC move giving unqualified people top jobs.

Pretty sure Lowe called Mactavish one of, if not the, smartest man he knew in hockey when he announced him as GM. I remember, at the time, wishing he knew more people.:laugh: These guys were pretty shameless in pumping each other's tires and even though most people saw through that crap right away it didn't stop them. I think that's one of the biggest reasons the public disdain for them won't die down.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty sure Lowe called Mactavish one of, if not the, smartest man he knew in hockey when he announced him as GM. I remember, at the time, wishing he knew more people.:laugh: These guys were pretty shameless in pumping each other's tires and even though most people saw through that crap right away it didn't stop them. I think that's one of the biggest reasons the public disdain for them won't die down.

Maybe by smartest he just meant book smarts and not hockey smarts.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

eMBAs aren't that easy. Depends on your perspective. Lots of NHLers barely finish high school because they are playing major junior. For guys with that educational background it is an accomplishment. The school matters too. An MBA from Queen's has a lot more credibility than Athabasca, for example.

Explain how it 'could not be more wrong'? All things considered I'd prefer a GM who has taken the time to improve their education than one who has not.

MacT clearly failed as the GM. But slag him for that. Not for his credible run as head coach or his education.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
eMBAs aren't that easy. Depends on your perspective. Lots of NHLers barely finish high school because they are playing major junior. For guys with that educational background it is an accomplishment. The school matters too. An MBA from Queen's has a lot more credibility than Athabasca, for example.

Explain how it 'could not be more wrong'? All things considered I'd prefer a GM who has taken the time to improve their education than one who has not.

MacT clearly failed as the GM. But slag him for that. Not for his credible run as head coach or his education.

I have exhausted my will to bash education, so I concede there :)

I do think still though that a guy doing some extra courses recently is the last thing on my mind if I'm hiring a GM. Highest would be having shown the ability to assess talent. Also important is having experience in a reasonably high up job in an NHL org, or at least having managed a team in a lower level league. Warning signs would be if your management experience was had due to being hired by your friend. Also, if the experience in management you got was on a terrible failure of a team. Seems MacT only fit the warning sign criteria :) But hey, he was the best candidate after Lowe probably interviews dozens of guys from across the hockey world right?

I know you don't think that already, but that is all I'm coming from with my sarcastic MacT comments. Time to give it a rest, I know, but the guy is still around! So I feel I have the right to let it out now and then still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad