Proposal: Oilers getting Hallsy back.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
alright, prefering NJ is fine, but as the other poster i responded to seemed to imply that everyone would prefer NJ which i disagree with. i have family in NJ and its a beautiful state no doubt

I think it’s more an issue of hf posters in bigger markets or good teams (at least some sort of plurality if them) roll out the “no UFA would ever want to live in NJ” or “Newark is such a dump” (as if the players all live in the arena or something). That gets tiresome. I’ve seen WPG get the same treatment. I’ve seen some Americans trashing all Canadian teams as places players would never want to go. I’m sure those are teenagers and the uninformed. My guess is that the UFA guys are primarily interested in money and term or a perceived good chance at the cup. I’m not aware of any team where a bulk of players hate the area. I’d be surprised in today’s day and age if that could be kept under wraps.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think it’s more an issue of hf posters in bigger markets or good teams (at least some sort of plurality if them) roll out the “no UFA would ever want to live in NJ” or “Newark is such a dump” (as if the players all live in the arena or something). That gets tiresome. I’ve seen WPG get the same treatment. I’ve seen some Americans trashing all Canadian teams as places players would never want to go. I’m sure those are teenagers and the uninformed. My guess is that the UFA guys are primarily interested in money and term or a perceived good chance at the cup. I’m not aware of any team where a bulk of players hate the area. I’d be surprised in today’s day and age if that could be kept under wraps.
i could see NJ being a UFA destination. young core with guys like hischier and whichever star they pick 1oa this year be it hughes or kakko, great state if you avoid camden which isnt near newark anyway, proximity to NYC which a lot of people love

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
that seems like a rather pessimistic outlook, but it may be the smart choice if they can get a package centered around a young blue-chip defenseman

Don’t get me wrong, I want Taylor to re-sign with us and be a devil until he retires. However, it is crucial for us to either retain him or trade him for the best package available. Even with bringing in whoever will be first overall, the Devils absolutely can not afford to lose Hall with no return. It would put the devils rebuild back a couple years imo. If the Oilers want him and he doesn’t show signs of signing by the end of August at the latest, Shero has to be cautious and get something of great value in return. I honestly think that he will be a devil for a long time. However, it all depends on management and who we bring in this offseason. Hall wants to win and I don’t blame him so Shero has to make some moves to make the devils more competitive. I believe we will bring in a solid dman to shore up the top 4 and will get one of the higher end forwards on July 1st. Hopefully that will be enough for Hall to stay.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

My3Sons

Sponsor
i could see NJ being a UFA destination. young core with guys like hischier and whichever star they pick 1oa this year be it hughes or kakko, great state if you avoid camden which isnt near newark anyway, proximity to NYC which a lot of people love

I’m sure any market has nice places to live and young single women for a young single guy making NHL UFA money. If you are married and have kids I couldn’t imagine living in a big city as compared to a place with nice suburbs that are accessible.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Don’t get me wrong, I want Taylor to re-sign with us and be a devil until he retires. However, it is crucial for us to either retain him or trade him for the best package available. Even with bringing in whoever will be first overall, the Devils absolutely can not afford to lose Hall with no return. It would put the devils rebuild back a couple years imo. If the Oilers want him and he doesn’t show signs of signing by the end of August at the latest, Shero has to be cautious and get something of great value in return. I honestly think that he will be a devil for a long time. However, it all depends on management and who we bring in this offseason. Hall wants to win and I don’t blame him so Shero has to make some moves to make the devils more competitive. I believe we will bring in a solid dman to shore up the top 4 and will get one of the higher end forwards on July 1st. Hopefully that will be enough for Hall to stay.
shero's done a great job since taking over, id trust that he will make the right call

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You could wait. However NJ is not. If Hall isn’t signed by August then we should trade him for the best return. Then you have to worry that he will sign a contract with whoever does put the assets up to trade for an impending free agent MVP caliber player.

For that asking price, it is better to wait.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
None of this changes the fact that Hall is likely tired of losing and would prefer to not bank on what if's with a rebuilder. New Jersey would probably need to show tremendous growth as a team next season for Hall to want to re-sign.
He also said he doesn't want to go try chasing a Cup with a team that looks good on paper and end up regretting it after a few years.

"Tremendous" growth is a huge exaggeration, the team from 2019 was nearly identical to the team that made the playoffs in 2018 except the goaltending was worse and we lost +350 man games due to injury. All the pieces are there already, plus we're adding Jack Hughes.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
After the new president of hockey operations comes in and cleans house and clearing some salary out. Oilers go for Taylor Hall and his 1 year contract.

Oilers offer 1st in 2019 + conditional 2020 first round pick if he resigns. Another conditional 3rd round pick if he plays more than 70 games.

Whatcha got ?

Why would Hall want to go to the tire fire that is EDM. He won the Hart, lead his team to the playoffs. I get that he is at the hands of the GM as he doesn’t have a NMC or NTC but pretty sure it Shero would ask him for a list of team if he can’t work out a deal.

Furthermore they just picked up an amazing pick and will likely add another top player. Their GM is light years better than anything the Oilers have had in a very long time and they have a ton of cap space. Why again would they not want to sign him?

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Your opinion of a city has no bearing on what players opinions of cities are.

I like when people come up with reasons as to why they wouldn't go to a certain team/city while simultaneously believing people (players) they have no affiliation with share their sentiments.

So you speak for the players now? Because your opinion counts as much or less as the poster you quoted.
I have lived in both New Jersey and the Tampa area. The city of Tampa is a lifeless craphole cluttered with business highrises. It doesn't even have a fully functional train station or daily bus routes to neighbouring St. Pete. Can't even find a hostel. There is nothing to do in that city except maybe shopping at Ikea.
Newark is no charm in its own right. But it's no lesser place to want to live in than say... Tampa! You have probably never visited either city but you seem so sure and confident in your opinion.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So you speak for the players now? Because your opinion counts as much or less as the poster you quoted.
I have lived in both New Jersey and the Tampa area. The city of Tampa is a lifeless craphole cluttered with business highrises. It doesn't even have a fully functional train station or daily bus routes to neighbouring St. Pete. Can't even find a hostel. There is nothing to do in that city except maybe shopping at Ikea.
Newark is no charm in its own right. But it's no lesser place to want to live in than say... Tampa! You have probably never visited either city but you seem so sure and confident in your opinion.
I'm not the one saying certain players won't go to a certain team because the city sucks. In fact I didn't say anything about any cities or teams or players preferences on cities, only that it's ridiculous to say that a player will refuse to go somewhere because you think that city sucks. So I don't rightly know what the f*** you're talking about?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Using the Kovalchuk template for Hall, I would want.

Nurse (top 4 D - Oduya)
Puljujärvi (young middle 6 forward - Bergfors)
Bouchard (top prospect - Cormier)
1st Round pick

For those arguing that Bouchard is a far better prospect than Cormier ever was. That might be true, but Cormier was NJ top prospect at the time of Kovalchuk trade. Therefore, I would want Edmonton's top prospect, as a non negotiable.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Using the Kovalchuk template for Hall, I would want.

Nurse (top 4 D - Oduya)
Puljujärvi (young middle 6 forward - Bergfors)
Bouchard (top prospect - Cormier)
1st Round pick

For those arguing that Bouchard is a far better prospect than Cormier ever was. That might be true, but Cormier was NJ top prospect at the time of Kovalchuk trade. Therefore, I would want Edmonton's top prospect, as a non negotiable.

Why don't you move Hall to the rangers after the draft then if the value of players don't matter?

Deangelo
Vessey
Kakko
1st

That's fair right it's their best prospect....

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Lol it seems I have created chaos.

All the fans speaking for Taylor Hall need to just assess the value of the proposal. Suggest an alternate trade if the Original post is not accurate in your opinion.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Bringing in David Puddy to play on the top line?

Yes and GEORGE will he the assistant to the traveling secretary. And every other team would be jealous that Jerry and Elaine are season ticket holders. Kramer would sell his tickets to every game and then sneak in to the game and end up in the penalty box somehow.

And......no soup for you

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Yes and GEORGE will he the assistant to the traveling secretary. And every other team would be jealous that Jerry and Elaine are season ticket holders. Kramer would sell his tickets to every game and then sneak in to the game and end up in the penalty box somehow.

And......no soup for you

I just had some soup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad