Oilers Draft Day Trade Options

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We get a high-end center (or defense) prospect to step in two or three years down the road and we get a high-end 6'4 winger to play with McDavid, who only has two years left on his contract instead of anchoring ourselves to an overpriced UFA, all while maximizing Yakupov's value.

No thanks, Nash is on the downside of his career..........and he is an anchor already.

His salary will also be a drag for the team.

He scored 42 goals last year.

Also this...

Also this...

And also...he's 31 years old!!! He's still a giant and he's still fast as hell.

Anchor....Christ. :shakehead

And if his salary will be an anchor, I guess we're not signing Lucic or Eriksson or Okposo then.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Great points.

What about signing Kris Russell? Local boy, good wheels, and a great shot blocker. I understand he is not a true #1 Dman, but he would help. The available Dman are quickly dis-appearing

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Also this...

Also this...

And if his salary will be an anchor, I guess we're not signing Lucic or Eriksson or Okposo then.

So why the hell would the Rangers deal him for a late 1st round pick and a player who might have te value of a 3rd rounder. Nash fits right in with their window to win.

Your idea of trading 4 for 7&20 hinges on something happening that has zero chance of happening. About the same amount of chance of us trading #4 and scraps for #2.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So why the hell would the Rangers deal him for a late 1st round pick and a player who might have te value of a 3rd rounder. Nash fits right in with their window to win.

Your idea of trading 4 for 7&20 hinges on something happening that has zero chance of happening. About the same amount of chance of us trading #4 and scraps for #2.

Because Nash is rumored to be on the market and the Rangers may be a player in the Stamkos sweepstakes. They're also looking for draft picks and to get younger on the fly. Also Nash's NMC just ended.

Their 'window to win' is likely closed temporarily as long as a big chunk of their cap is tied up with Staal and Girardi.

As for the ARI swap, it's apparently already been offered.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Because Nash is rumored to be on the market and the Rangers may be a player in the Stamkos sweepstakes. They're also looking for draft picks and to get younger on the fly. Also Nash's NMC just ended.

Their 'window to win' is likely closed temporarily as long as a big chunk of their cap is tied up with Staal and Girardi.

As for the ARI swap, it's apparently already been offered.

I'm on the Nash bandwagon. I really don't want Lucic at all. I think we'll regret that contract. I think Nash had a bad year partially due to injury and I don't think he's washed up yet. One of the reasons he's made multiple Team Canada's is that he's dependable and realiable. He makes smart hockey decisions so even when he's not scoring he's making contributions. He's big, he's fast and he's heavy. If he doesn't cost too much to acquire, he's a much better fit than Lucic at $6.5M for 5 or 6 years. Nash is 2 year and done if it doesn't work out.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008

Also this...

Also this...

Two factors.......Nash has played over 10 hard years in the league...........and is at the age where the drop off is quick and fast.

The Oiler's are not in the contender must win mode next year.......even a good year by Nash would be wasted.........and he would not come to a club that would not be contending for the Stanley Cup.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Two factors.......Nash has played over 10 hard years in the league...........and is at the age where the drop off is quick and fast.

The Oiler's are not in the contender must win mode next year.......even a good year by Nash would be wasted.........and he would not come to a club that would not be contending for the Stanley Cup.

10 hard years? He's an offensive forward. He had a bone bruise last year. And once again, 31 years old. He's still an elite goal scorer in this league.

Nash wouldn't come here to make us a contender necessarily, but he'd come here to improve the on-ice product. Nash is your immediate upgrade on Yakupov essentially. And what you'd get in Nash's second season at the deadline from a contender would far surpass anything you'd get for Nail Yakupov today. It's just good asset management.

If he stayed healthy all season, I would be shocked if he didn't score 30 next to McDavid next year. He's big, fast and has a phenomenal shot. He's perfect for the Western Conference game. He'd be the Oilers biggest trade acquisition since Pronger.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
10 hard years? He's an offensive forward. He had a bone bruise last year. And once again, 31 years old. He's still an elite goal scorer in this league.

Nash wouldn't come here to make us a contender necessarily, but he'd come here to improve the on-ice product. Nash is your immediate upgrade on Yakupov essentially. And what you'd get in Nash's second season at the deadline from a contender would far surpass anything you'd get for Nail Yakupov today. It's just good asset management.

If he stayed healthy all season, I would be shocked if he didn't score 30 next to McDavid next year. He's big, fast and has a phenomenal shot. He's perfect for the Western Conference game. He'd be the Oilers biggest trade acquisition since Pronger.

Plus his contract expires right before McDavid signs his 8 year mega deal extension.

Nash is expensive and a move like this obviously presupposes one (or two) of Eberle, RNH, Hall gets traded for help on D.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Plus his contract expires right before McDavid signs his 8 year mega deal extension.

Nash is expensive and a move like this obviously presupposes one (or two) of Eberle, RNH, Hall gets traded for help on D.

Pretty much.

Getting Nash at the draft sets the precedent of one of two guys being on the market for an upgrade on defense. That may open some lines of discussion getting closer to July 1st and potentially beyond.

Nash is expensive, but he fits right into our pay structure.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pretty much.

Getting Nash at the draft sets the precedent of one of two guys being on the market for an upgrade on defense. That may open some lines of discussion getting closer to July 1st and potentially beyond.

Nash is expensive, but he fits right into our pay structure.

Definitely seen worse options. Fits perfectly with him becoming a UFA at the same time the 1st year of McDavids 8 year deal starts.

I wonder what Slats would be looking for?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Definitely seen worse options. Fits perfectly with him becoming a UFA at the same time the 1st year of McDavids 8 year deal starts.

I wonder what Slats would be looking for?

You mean Gorton?

I'm offering the biggest boom-or-bust reclamation project you can get, the 20th pick and over $5 million in freed up cap space.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You mean Gorton?

I'm offering the biggest boom-or-bust reclamation project you can get, the 20th pick and over $5 million in freed up cap space.

:facepalm:. Yes, old habit.

It would be interesting to see what it took, EDM and NYR have been trading partners on many an occasion.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:facepalm:. Yes, old habit.

It would be interesting to see what it took, EDM and NYR have been trading partners on many an occasion.

Yep. The Talbot trade and both Chia and Gorton have a previous working relationship in Boston.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008

Can you read?..........I said why would Nash want to come to Edmonton?......A non playoff team............he is at the age where the only thing missing on his resume is a Stanley Cup.......and the Oilers' are not winning the Cup next year.

Also, the Oiler's travel more than any other team and they play in the West not like NY where you can play a road game and still come home and sleep in your own bed on the same night. That's when he will feel his 31 year old body.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can you read?..........I said why would Nash want to come to Edmonton?......A non playoff team............he is at the age where the only thing missing on his resume is a Stanley Cup.......and the Oilers' are not winning the Cup next year.

Also, the Oiler's travel more than any other team and they play in the West not like NY where you can play a road game and still come home and sleep in your own bed on the same night. That's when he will feel his 31 year old body.

I can, I just misread your sentence.

Reasons for Nash to come to Edmonton? One...Connor McDavid. That sold Sekera, it sold Caggiula. Why not Nash coming off a career low in points? A year and a half pumping in goals on his wing and a guarantee he's on a contender in year two, wherever that may be. Two...12-team NTC. I'm going to guess a number of teams on that list are current contenders. How many of those teams can fit Nash's $7.8m salary in today? I'm going to guess none. Buffalo might be on there.

A fresh start, a brand new building, the chance to be a mentor for the new 'generational talent' in the NHL and to be a key cog in finally putting this franchise over the hump? I think the Oilers could sell him pretty well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Reasons for Nash to come to Edmonton? One...Connor McDavid. That sold Sekera, it sold Caggiula. Why not Nash coming off a career low in points? A year and a half pumping in goals on his wing and a guarantee he's on a contender in year two, wherever that may be. Two...12-team NTC. I'm going to guess a number of teams on that list are current contenders. How many of those teams can fit Nash's $7.8m salary in today? I'm going to guess none. Buffalo might be on there.

A fresh start, a brand new building, the chance to be a mentor for the new 'generational talent' in the NHL and to be a key cog in finally putting this franchise over the hump? I think the Oilers could sell him pretty well.

How does this guarantee happen?

Do we really have that much cap space this season, and still have room to address the D situation? If we are adding a massive cap hit on the short term it better be for someone who addresses a need for the club.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
That's just.............???

That's just conjecture on your part..........you have to ask Nash himself why would he come to a rebuilding team that is two, three years from being a contender.

Remember, Nash does not have many good years left.........and he wants to win a Cup.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How does this guarantee happen?

Do we really have that much cap space this season, and still have room to address the D situation? If we are adding a massive cap hit on the short term it better be for someone who addresses a need for the club.

If we don't have cap space to do that, then we don't have it to spend on a Lucic, Eriksson, or whatever forwards people are drawing into their lineups. It's a $5.3m difference with Yakupov going the other way.

An upgrade on defense has a high paid forward moving out in my mind.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's just conjecture on your part..........you have to ask Nash himself why would he come to a rebuilding team that is two, three years from being a contender.

Remember, Nash does not have many good years left.........and he wants to win a Cup.

Isn't that what all trade proposals are?

I've given you the reasoning in my last post. Nash isn't an easy add for most contenders if any. We're a means of taking on his salary and pumping up his value. Adding him also makes us a better hockey team. I can't see why anyone would be again this considering most are flipping Yakupov off for a 3rd rounder or a defenseman we could claim off of waivers. It's just good asset management.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
Great points.

What about signing Kris Russell? Local boy, good wheels, and a great shot blocker. I understand he is not a true #1 Dman, but he would help. The available Dman are quickly dis-appearing

God no. Russell is a bottom pairing plug who is in for a huge overpay.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I don't know..........???

Isn't that what all trade proposals are?

I've given you the reasoning in my last post. Nash isn't an easy add for most contenders if any. We're a means of taking on his salary and pumping up his value. Adding him also makes us a better hockey team. I can't see why anyone would be again this considering most are flipping Yakupov off for a 3rd rounder or a defenseman we could claim off of waivers. It's just good asset management.

I don't know who you are?.............I could be arguing with a 12 year old kid for example..........but you keep ignoring my point........why would Nash want to come to a rebuilding team?.........that's a few years from contending..........a new arena would not be a substitute for a Stanley Cup.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't know who you are?.............I could be arguing with a 12 year old kid for example..........but you keep ignoring my point........why would Nash want to come to a rebuilding team?.........that's a few years from contending..........a new arena would not be a substitute for a Stanley Cup.

Because he doesn't have the option of playing for a Stanley Cup contender because his contract eliminates them as potential destinations.

Regardless. The whole idea of it is assuming he'd be on board with it, which may or may not be the case. So it's asinine to argue over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad