Post-Game Talk: Oilers dominate the Pens, time for Holland to do his job

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That's not tenable. Unless there's retention it's not happening.

Hence why I've resigned myself to Lafferty for a second.
I agree I’m saying the logistics of acquiring Chychrun are way more realistic than the logistics of acquiring karlsson.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
$13-16 for a tall boy.
$8 for a 12oz draft. $16 for 24oz.

There are 3 dugout deals concessions in sections 137, 239, and 537. They're basically discounted concessions with $5.50 Bud Light 12 oz draft and $3.25 hotdogs. However, they're no secret so the lineups are long. I believe there's a beer stand near the Flight Deck that has $5 cans of bud and bud light too.

The Blue Jays can be a very affordable experience. Weekday 100 level bases tickets will run you as cheap as $40 depending on the team the Jays are playing and demand. 500 level seats can go as low as $15 on gameday (also subject to demand and team being played).

If you're willing to stand all game, you can get a cheap 500 level ticket and go down to the WestJet Flight Deck. Its first-come-first-served standing room only in the 200 level outfield. But it's basically a 200 level ticket for cheap and you might even get a homerun ball.
I’ll definitely check it out
Thx

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Well the debacle that occured here in Montreal was that Petrys wife and 4 kids were living in Michigan, and (one was a newborn), and the border was difficult to cross last year.

It wasn't all that dissimilar to why Duncan Keith wanted to move to Alberta.

It didn't help that the Montreal hooligans went after Petry's wife and were incredibly hostile, and dogpiled on her any chance they could.

Her time in Montreal was well documented on her social media:

Agreed that border issues were the biggest problem leading to the Petry trade.

The links you provided have nothing to do with your claims about Montreal hooligans dogpiling the wife.

The first link is her complaining about a jackass Costco manager being shitty to her because she doesn't speak French. Then she described herself as "someone who tries their hardest to make this place feel like home." No indication she was being dogpiled for anything to do with her complaint being related to the guy even knowing she was Petry's wife.

Lots of times jerks will be crappy to you in Montreal if you don't speak French. Her claims to love the city ring a little hollow. ffs they had lived in Montreal for six/seven years at that point. If she couldn't hold a basic conversation in French after that long living in Montreal, how much is she really trying to make Montreal feel like home?

The second story is all about how much she enjoyed her time in Montreal.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Agreed that border issues were the biggest problem leading to the Petry trade.

The links you provided have nothing to do with your claims about Montreal hooligans dogpiling the wife.

The first link is her complaining about a jackass Costco manager being shitty to her because she doesn't speak French. Then she described herself as "someone who tries their hardest to make this place feel like home." No indication she was being dogpiled for anything to do with her complaint being related to the guy even knowing she was Petry's wife.

Lots of times jerks will be crappy to you in Montreal if you don't speak French. Her claims to love the city ring a little hollow. ffs they had lived in Montreal for six/seven years at that point. If she couldn't hold a basic conversation in French after that long living in Montreal, how much is she really trying to make Montreal feel like home?

The second story is all about how much she enjoyed her time in Montreal.
16 years I've lived here and can't hold a conversation. Infact of the hundreds of professional colleagues I work with who moved here, only 2 managed to learn to communicate above the level of my 2 year old (both study lingustics).

If you learned french in Edmonton whether it is FSL or immersion, it's completely useless here.
The language is not easily learnable even with a thousand hours of classes.

Posted the wrong link:

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm developing a great fondness for Monsieur Vincent Desharnais.

The team's record with Vincent in the line-up is 11-1-2. With Desharnais in the line-up, the Oilers have outscored their opposition 65 to 36 (and that's counting two cheap OT/shootout goals for opponents, while the Oilers have none).

He has been even or 'plus' in every NHL game he's played.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I would like to go after AA again. He can skate which caused Edmonton a little problems I recall our last first round against LA. Another Warren Foegle replicate but a little faster. Only because he wouldn't be pricey in a trade. Anyone I mean, we just need to improve that pathetic 3rd and 4th line immediately

Holland needs to do something about forward depth eventually. Or call up Raphael Lavoie now. See what he can do earlier than later.
AA is stupid and to no use. 3rd line of Kostin Nuge Janmark is not patethic, and a 4th line of Fogele McLeod Ryan/Shore can score some.

The forward is just one RW away from being worthy.

Reactions: Macblender

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
16 years I've lived here and can't hold a conversation. Infact of the hundreds of professional colleagues I work with who moved here, only 2 managed to learn to communicate above the level of my 2 year old (both study lingustics).

If you learned french in Edmonton whether it is FSL or immersion, it's completely useless here.
The language is not easily learnable even with a thousand hours of classes.

Posted the wrong link:

What sorts of fields are these "hundreds of professional colleagues" in? I'm a member of a regulated profession that has nothing to do with linguistics. I have held basic conversations in French in Montreal. Learned FSL as an adult.

I spent a semester in Chicoutimi. Could speak so little French when I arrived that my first week I had a counter girl at Burger King break out the English to help me order. After seven weeks I went to Montreal and was able to get by. My accent was, and remains, terrible. My grammar wasn't very good, but I could communicate.

If somebody put an honest effort into a thousand hours of french classes they could definitely hold a conversation. You might have been exaggerating to prove a point, but the language is not that difficult. One class a week over the six or seven years Petry and his wife were in Montreal would absolutely make a difference for someone trying their best to make Montreal feel like home.

Thanks for the the new link. That does prove your point about the harassment. People are jackasses on social media. No doubt.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
AA is stupid and to no use. 3rd line of Kostin Nuge Janmark is not patethic, and a 4th line of Fogele McLeod Ryan/Shore can score some.

The forward is just one RW away from being worthy.

Pulju as a dump for a D, and Yamamoto + a defender as a dump for Barbashev. Set to go.

I would prefer Ek65 over P Kane, but if P Kane is aquired, I would want Chuchryn or McCabe or Gavrikov.

I'm developing a great fondness for Monsieur Vincent Desharnais.

The team's record with Vincent in the line-up is 11-1-2. With Desharnais in the line-up, the Oilers have outscored their opposition 65 to 36 (and that's counting two cheap OT/shootout goals for opponents, while the Oilers have none).

He has been even or 'plus' in every NHL game he's played.

Whats the record without VD in lineup? Is it significant?

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
This is funny because I actually met Michael Jordan this week and got to chat with him for a little bit. I was surprised by how much he knew about hockey and I actually learned that he was a minority owner of the Capitals back in the day.
That’s pretty sick. Where’d you meet him?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What sorts of fields are these "hundreds of professional colleagues" in? I'm a member of a regulated profession that has nothing to do with linguistics. I have held basic conversations in French in Montreal. Learned FSL as an adult.

I spent a semester in Chicoutimi. Could speak so little French when I arrived that my first week I had a counter girl at Burger King break out the English to help me order. After seven weeks I went to Montreal and was able to get by. My accent was, and remains, terrible. My grammar wasn't very good, but I could communicate.

If somebody put an honest effort into a thousand hours of french classes they could definitely hold a conversation. You might have been exaggerating to prove a point, but the language is not that difficult. One class a week over the six or seven years Petry and his wife were in Montreal would absolutely make a difference for someone trying their best to make Montreal feel like home.

Thanks for the the new link. That does prove your point about the harassment. People are jackasses on social media. No doubt.
This is how I know yoU can't hold a conversation in french.

You can ask for basic services, and talk like a 3 year old, but no.. in french grammer is more important than vocabulary by a longshot.

Grammer > context > vocabulary, and then words sort of all sound jumbled and the same, and mishearing conjugation changes meanings completely.

I can read and write french pretty fluently, but there's no way I could actually converse here. The accent is incredibly thick. It's almost like trying to learn english from people with heavy Jamaican accents.

And I make videogames, so the ones here on Visa are programmers, artists, writers, engineers, designers .. (everyone has a degree).

7 weeks you don't know french. I know many people born and raised here who can't hold a conversation. They can 'get by' babbling like a 3 year old, but they're not considered 'french speakers'.

And yeah Edmonton Public School french is garbage. Anyone who wasted their time in that nonsense could never hold a conversation here.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022

You can ask for basic services, and talk like a 3 year old, but no.. in french grammer is more important than vocabulary by a longshot.

Grammer > context > vocabulary, and then words sort of all sound jumbled and the same, and mishearing conjugation changes meanings completely.

I can read and write french pretty fluently, but there's no way I could actually converse here. The accent is incredibly thick. It's almost like trying to learn english from people with heavy Jamaican accents.

And I make videogames, so the ones here on Visa are programmers, artists, writers, engineers, designers .. (everyone has a degree).

The fact that you are so critical is something more deep-seated in you than a reflection of my ability in French or anything you actually know. Normally don't care about typos on HFOil, but it is relevant in a conversation about the basics of communicating in any language. The fact you sneered about my ability in French twice only to misspell grammar twice within the next sentence and a half is telling.

Thousands of hours of study absolutely gets you far more than the ability to babble like a child. Part of it is a commitment to try and speak French. How much popular culture consumed is in French? TV? Radio? Podcasts? Youtube videos? Movies? Those all help with the accent and understanding conversations at regular speak. You did talk about thousands of hours. A dedicated FSL student should commit hours listening to any of those in French. A dedicated hour a day listening to anything in French makes a big difference. Then have the student come back and test their listening ability. Even if someone only commits to doing that on weekdays it is a thousand hours over four years.

As to the professionals who can't get there in French. Some engineers are regulated professionals. The engineers might actually be professionals. If they have their P.Eng. The rest? White collar job =/= professional necessarily. Having a degree =/= being a professional.

7 weeks you don't know french. I know many people born and raised here who can't hold a conversation. They can 'get by' babbling like a 3 year old, but they're not considered 'french speakers'.

I didn't say I only studied for seven weeks. Just that I went to Montreal for the first time after seven weeks of my course and yes, could hold a basic conversation in French.

The accent in Montreal isn't that thick. Spend some time outside Montreal and you will get that.

If you can read and write "pretty fluently" you should be able to have a conversation. Especially the writing part. Writing at that level requires the ability to use correct grammar, in the appropriate context with relevant vocabulary at a relatively normal pace. If someone can do all those things before they write, then they should be able to say it out loud.

Babbling like a 3-year-old? Lol. A decent, reasonable person would never use that comparison for a few reasons. It is so demeaning and condescending it is really laughable. Certainly more of a defense mechanism than an actual appraisal of the situation.

Yes, there is a huge gap between babbling like a child and being considered a French speaker.

Shockingly it isn't a binary situation. It isn't you can only be a French speaker versus babbling like a 3-year-old. Just like a child doesn't automatically become a French speaker the transition for an adult learner isn't overnight either. That is where the commitment of time comes in.

I have seen many accomplished people who just give up when it comes to French. It is incredibly difficult to learn a language. But with thousands of hours it is possible.

This is a relevant example, but a little dated. When Sheila Fraser was Auditor General she proved to me that someone with no natural ability in the language could get there in French. Her accent was always brutal. But she spoke clearly and plainly in French and used proper grammar in doing so. She attained CCC in French despite not having any natural ability. She didn't give up and tell people she know they couldn't hold a conversation in French.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The fact that you are so critical is something more deep-seated in you than a reflection of my ability in French or anything you actually know. Normally don't care about typos on HFOil, but it is relevant in a conversation about the basics of communicating in any language. The fact you sneered about my ability in French twice only to misspell grammar twice within the next sentence and a half is telling.

Thousands of hours of study absolutely gets you far more than the ability to babble like a child. Part of it is a commitment to try and speak French. How much popular culture consumed is in French? TV? Radio? Podcasts? Youtube videos? Movies? Those all help with the accent and understanding conversations at regular speak. You did talk about thousands of hours. A dedicated FSL student should commit hours listening to any of those in French. A dedicated hour a day listening to anything in French makes a big difference. Then have the student come back and test their listening ability. Even if someone only commits to doing that on weekdays it is a thousand hours over four years.

As to the professionals who can't get there in French. Some engineers are regulated professionals. The engineers might actually be professionals. If they have their P.Eng. The rest? White collar job =/= professional necessarily. Having a degree =/= being a professional.

I didn't say I only studied for seven weeks. Just that I went to Montreal for the first time after seven weeks of my course and yes, could hold a basic conversation in French.

The accent in Montreal isn't that thick. Spend some time outside Montreal and you will get that.

If you can read and write "pretty fluently" you should be able to have a conversation. Especially the writing part. Writing at that level requires the ability to use correct grammar, in the appropriate context with relevant vocabulary at a relatively normal pace. If someone can do all those things before they write, then they should be able to say it out loud.

Babbling like a 3-year-old? Lol. A decent, reasonable person would never use that comparison for a few reasons. It is so demeaning and condescending it is really laughable. Certainly more of a defense mechanism than an actual appraisal of the situation.

Yes, there is a huge gap between babbling like a child and being considered a French speaker.

Shockingly it isn't a binary situation. It isn't you can only be a French speaker versus babbling like a 3-year-old. Just like a child doesn't automatically become a French speaker the transition for an adult learner isn't overnight either. That is where the commitment of time comes in.

I have seen many accomplished people who just give up when it comes to French. It is incredibly difficult to learn a language. But with thousands of hours it is possible.

This is a relevant example, but a little dated. When Sheila Fraser was Auditor General she proved to me that someone with no natural ability in the language could get there in French. Her accent was always brutal. But she spoke clearly and plainly in French and used proper grammar in doing so. She attained CCC in French despite not having any natural ability. She didn't give up and tell people she know they couldn't hold a conversation in French.
I mean what do I know. Right?

I just live here and literally watch every non-Canadian fail their permanent residency exam (in french) since the CAQ took over, and have to completely uproot their lives.

I guess you know better than me.

And no, reading comprehension doesn't prepare you for how slurred all the words become when mangais mangé mangez all sound exactly the same but completely changes the context of what is said.

'I ate a steak yesterday so I'd rather not have it again right now, maybe later' literally uses all of those conjugations and nobody who is a native speaker can figure that out.

But ya. I'm wrong. Your 7 days makes you the expert.

Last edited:

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I mean what do I know. Right?

I guess you know better than me.

But ya. I'm wrong. Your 7 days makes you the expert.

You know how to condescend, be dismissive and lecture. You know how to judge me and talk down to me. You did all of that by selectively reading what I actually wrote and making pretty negative, sneering pronouncements about me. Remember this one?

You can ask for basic services, and talk like a 3 year old, but no..

You have never heard me speak, but sneer at me like I can talk "like a 3 year old". It is pretty humorous you got offended after telling me I talk like a toddler when you have never heard me speak French.

And no, reading comprehension doesn't prepare you for how slurred all the words become when mangais mangé mangez all sound exactly the same but completely changes the context of what is said.

'I ate a steak yesterday so I'd rather not have it again right now, maybe later' literally uses all of those conjugations and nobody who is a native speaker can figure that out.

Admittedly, reading comprehension plays a minimal role in enhancing your listening skills. Reading comprehension does enhance your ability to speak, which is what I clearly stated.

Below is the example I gave for improving listening skills. I would say it was odd you completely ignored it, but your put downs and insults scream to me someone that is so offended as to write "Your 7 days makes you the expert." lol

I never said I was an expert. You used the phrase thousands of hours. Here is the part of the discussion where I talked about improving listening skills. I get the frustration you are experiencing trying to learn French.

Thousands of hours of study absolutely gets you far more than the ability to babble like a child. Part of it is a commitment to try and speak French. How much popular culture consumed is in French? TV? Radio? Podcasts? Youtube videos? Movies? Those all help with the accent and understanding conversations at regular speak. You did talk about thousands of hours.

Insulting my language skills as that of a toddler without having heard me speak French says more about you than it does about me. Getting righteous and saying I claimed to be an expert when I didn't again says more about you than it does about me.

I said that somebody who can write close to fluently should be able to hold a conversation is absolutely true.

No, but practicing your listening skills as outlined above does. As does making mistakes when you do speak in French.

I just got back from a good hike. The endorphins have kicked in. I feel good.

Try something to make yourself feel better. If sneering at me for things I didn't say makes you feel better I guess go ahead and do so. At least try and do so honestly next time.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad