GDT: Oilers @ Devils at 7p Msg+

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well we'll never know what Zubrus may or may not have gotten in FA. It just has become a pattern lately with Lou that we sign guys two years too long and have to buy them out in the end or IR them. Of course thank goodness he didn't match the Clarkson deal, THAT would be about five years too long :laugh:

It's not even so much that they signed him for that length, or even for that amount of money, it's the fact he has immunity and one of the longest leashes in the history of the franchise that's particularly annoying. And I like the guy but holy ****ing christ, enough of Zubrus on the first line with major minutes already! At least try ANYone else there.

I hear ya, but I don't think any fourth liner you stick on the Devils "top" 4th line is going to make a difference.

Well there is this guy named Ruutu they refuse to ever move off the fourth line and he's been above the fourth line for almost all of his career.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
We have the wrong GM at this time. He's operating in another dimension in terms of hockey management. He hasn't rebuilt a team in a long time.

This simply isn't true. In the offseason we all gave Lou high marks and were pleased with what we had coming into this year. What moves exactly would you have made or did Lou not make that you wanted to see? In a short time frame we lost two perennial All-Stars and had two 1st round forward picks bust. We have a glut of talented young defensemen and a stellar goalie locked up longterm. Other than burying your head in the sand and saying we should have just drafted players that turned out to be offensive super stars, I'm not sure what you think could have been done.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Lou hasn't rebuilt anything? So what the hell are Larsson, Severson, Merrill, Gelinas, Santini, and Schneider doing here? Are they not part of the rebuilding process?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This simply isn't true. In the offseason we all gave Lou high marks and were pleased with what we had coming into this year. What moves exactly would you have made or did Lou not make that you wanted to see? In a short time frame we lost two perennial All-Stars and had two 1st round forward picks bust. We have a glut of talented young defensemen and a stellar goalie locked up longterm. Other than burying your head in the sand and saying we should have just drafted players that turned out to be offensive super stars, I'm not sure what you think could have been done.
The only offseason move I blame Lou on is for keeping (and possibly even giving an extension that we had to eat 3/4ths of) DeBoer.

And he may have even kept him because of giving him a break for Kovalchuk. I do blame him for not firing him after we blew that 3 goal lead to Detroit, which was a week after the Calgary chokejob.

It may not have helped if he brought in Oates back at Thanksgiving time though.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Lou hasn't rebuilt anything? So what the hell are Larsson, Severson, Merrill, Gelinas, Santini, and Schneider doing here? Are they not part of the rebuilding process?

Larsson is improving but still makes bonehead errors(both penalties tonight were horrid)
Merrill has been mediocre at best
Severson has been great but hit a wall then got hurt
Gelinas cant even crack the lineup
Santini is in college

and go look at our forward prospects, they are arguably the worst in the entire league.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Larsson is improving but still makes bonehead errors(both penalties tonight were horrid)
Merrill has been mediocre at best
Severson has been great but hit a wall then got hurt
Gelinas cant even crack the lineup
Santini is in college

and go look at our forward prospects, they are arguably the worst in the entire league.

I understand that. But some people make it sound like Lou's just sitting on his ass twiddling his thumbs. He's rebuilt a defense that just 4-5 years ago everybody was saying had no prospects. He went out and got Marty's replacement when every body was worried about who would take over for him. Now he's publicly said that he knows they need to address the forwards. Hasn't he at least earned the chance to try and do the same with the forwards he's done with the defense and goaltending?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And kudos to whoever came up with the brilliant decision to go with the same lineup, after apparently actually considering lineup changes.

If we go with this lineup again on Friday, then I'm really gonna think whoever is pulling the strings is more insane than DeBoer. Even he would make changes after two losses like this.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And all this crap about needing a right handed shot so Harrold stays in.

What good has Harrold's shot ever done? Scored a goal back in 2013 and one this year?

And his shot was deflected for the first time ever for a goal?

I don't even dislike Harrold all that much actually. Him ruining a pair of shutouts last week was the most I've ever been angry at him. I still think he's a far better option than Mark Fraser.

I just don't get the obsession and over usage of him. Good number 7 defenseman, that's about it though.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Agreed.

And Lou needs to go if he doesn't recognize this and brings that jackass Oates back after this season. He definitely shouldn't be head coach next year.

I'd rather T-Mac to be honest, and I don't want him either.

It's almost like choosing who you want more, DeBoer? Oates? T-Mac?

Any better options?:rant:

I think Guy Boucher might be good.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A peewee goalie would have done just as well tonight
My boney and scrawny ass with my 1986 equipment could have beaten the Devils tonight. I probably could have handled the puck like it wasn't a grenade unlike him and I would have stopped the weak shortside softy from Elias too.

I remember a bunch of stuff about how Scrivens is good and make big stops when we got shutout by him last year. My fellow Devils fan buddy (Second favorite team is LAK after he moved out there) watched all his games with LA and said this was a hot streak like Clemmensen's with us in 2008-2009. And that he's probably pissed at Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones. Bernier caused him to be traded to the Kings, which then sent him to Edmonton before he was even exposed to be a mediocre goaltender that's a glorified backup at best. This is my friends words too, not mine. I believe him though.

My favorite was when he told the fans they were disgracing the team and Gretzky and Messier and those who came before them, by throwing those jerseys on the ice.

Give me a break you bonehead moron. Management and the players (including Scrivens play this year where he gives up one softy per game including tonight) are the ones disgracing that joke of an organization. Now that he's been exposed as a mediocre goaltender, he'll likely never play for a good team again.

This will probably be one of his only road wins of the season. Enjoy it you loser. I don't even feel bad for Fayne for signing in that pit of burning zombies.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And what exactly makes Ben Kingsley (AKA Craig Ramsey) a sought after assistant coach year after year? He continually gets fired by teams where the defense doesn't even look good, then he automatically gets picked up again by some other team.

I keep forgetting that scary looking mother****er was even brought into Edmonton after being fired by Florida last year. Florida's defense looks a lot better this year, which a lot of it has to do with Ekblad who wasn't there under sexy beast.

That dude gives me nightmares.

Nevermind. He's only been with unsuccessful teams for about 5 years now. He was last with Boston before Atlanta and Florida, before they won the cup.

I didn't realize he was with Boston after Tampa Bay. I thought he was with some perennial non playoff team in between.

Last edited:

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
I wish Foligno got stranded in Columbus during the snowstorm.
Jackets fan here come in peace. If you meant to stay and wait snowstorm or to meet with his eldest son, please welcome. But if stay and work in a team Columbus, no thanks.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jackets fan here come in peace. If you meant to stay and wait snowstorm or to meet with his eldest son, please welcome. But if stay and work in a team Columbus, no thanks.

The story was that he came to see Nick for the all star game and his flight back to Newark from Columbus was cancelled, so he had to rent a car and drive all the way back in the snowstorm.

I didn't really mean for him to stay in Columbus and work for the Jackets, though I wouldn't mind. Not sure how your PK is this season, but ours has either been really bad or really good. He might make your PK even worse than it, if it's even bad to begin with. I'm not sure what yours is like.

We had the best PK in the league last year.

Part of me might not blame him. I'm wondering if DeBoer and Oates had more input than he does on the PK. The lack of adjustment or seemingly taking forever to adjust and change things has long since been a trademark of both DeBoer and Oates.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
eFCE8sU.png

Crazy pills.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
eFCE8sU.png

Crazy pills.

So the team only got outshot by 4 at es? Also with how many shots the team is giving up they absolutely need a power play. The powerplay hs been pitiful. If they had a decent power play they might even be able to get away with how bad offensively they have been playing and the stellar goaltending.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So the team only got outshot by 4 at es? Also with how many shots the team is giving up they absolutely need a power play. The powerplay hs been pitiful. If they had a decent power play they might even be able to get away with how bad offensively they have been playing and the stellar goaltending.

Those are "attempted" shots.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This team is a joke. Beyond a joke. Fine, lose to Montreal who is obviously a superior team.... but show up and lay that kind of stinker against the worst team in the league.... embarrassing.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I was not surprised with the loss and lack of energy as I even called it a few days prior that they would have tired legs with the 3rd game in 4 nights.

I was a tad surprised of the overall apparent disinterest and lack of fight though.

Aside from Tootoo's 2nd period solo rush to the net, which the fans recognized, it did not seem like many of their hearts were into the contest.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
This team is a joke. Beyond a joke. Fine, lose to Montreal who is obviously a superior team.... but show up and lay that kind of stinker against the worst team in the league.... embarrassing.

they are horrible..... we got away with a streak against weak teams while being outplayed in most of those games we play good teams and it's down right embarrassing.

the best thing that happened to this team all year is the past two losses and chicago and nashville on the horizon it will seal the fate for this season leaving no illusions to a late playoff push.

this team needs to look radically different next season... there should be at least 4-5 new forwards on this team next year

and lou cannot be scared to trade away some top players in order to rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad