Post-Game Talk: Oilers depth and hot Soup wins them a game!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Man, that was good to win. Was really concerned with our record coming out of breaks, and our history of success in the Motor City has not been very good the last many years. Detroit probably deserved a better fate, but we got the breaks last night and Campbell was the difference. I think he's nearly all the way back, and things are looking good between the pipes finally.

The foot soldiers showed up last night, and good thing, because McDavid and Draisaitl were in a fog the whole game. Guess they thought it was the 2nd half of the all star game.

Lastly, one thing I didn't see coming was Detroit trying to goon us. Before Kostin, Desharnais and Kane, it probably would have worked and one of our stars would have been injured, but I liked the push back to their tactics. A very good sign from a "formerly" very soft team.

Reactions: Ibanez and Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's a weird dynamic with the Nurse Ceci pairing. So much chaos at EV specifically below the hashmarks defending yet can pair top minute PK and run a clean slate.

My unicorn scenario is just that. Not likely to happen. But I can just picture a strong, big veteran own zone defender like Parayko (or Ekholm) stabilizing Nurse's chaotic game. If anything, perhaps enable Nurse to deploy his strength as an elite puck transporter and his neutral ice to offensive zone play with a solid safety net to take care of home base. Someone to bring consistent, structured and simple but effective net front defending.

Nurse and Ceci just seem to fight it in their own zone EV defending. Too much chase and chaos.
Ceci has really had a rough go of it this year. Probably morphing back to what he really is. A 4th defender needing to be paired with a solid vet. Punching way too far up his weight class, and Nurse if suffering for it with his play as well.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Detroit was the most fake tough I’ve ever seen a team in awhile. Franzen and Chelios would be sad…

As for bouch. I agree with the post below this. I just don’t think he’s deployed in the right situations. I really fundamentally believe we would regret trading him long term. I really do. But I know he’s frustrating to watch night in and out. He needs the right d partner and the righter forwards. I’m in the camp that really thinks we need to wait it out for him. That said. If there really was the right package im not opposed if it really improves the team. He’s such an enigma

I do wonder with Bouchard if lack of PP time is hurting his game. He is an offensive dman. If he was getting more opportunity on the PP, I wonder if he would gain more confidence and in general just play better. So I agree, that I am not sure hes really being utilized properly. VD also keeps him off the PK, which has helped a bit with his resurgence in 2023.

I just think that having both Barrie and Bouchard on the right side doesnt work. But tough to do much about it when Barrie has generally played well (he also seems great in the room).

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ceci has really had a rough go of it this year. Probably morphing back to what he really is. A 4th defender needing to be paired with a solid vet. Punching way too far up his weight class, and Nurse if suffering for it with his play as well.
Yes, I agree with this. Ceci was a good signing to buffer the huge loss of Larsson. He's a solid support defender who has been over extended on this team to top pair minutes and PK defending. Ceci was 6th in EV d ice time last night - will be interesting to see if his toi is managed like this moving forward.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I do wonder with Bouchard if lack of PP time is hurting his game. He is an offensive dman. If he was getting more opportunity on the PP, I wonder if he would gain more confidence and in general just play better. So I agree, that I am not sure hes really being utilized properly. VD also keeps him off the PK, which has helped a bit with his resurgence in 2023.

I just think that having both Barrie and Bouchard on the right side doesnt work. But tough to do much about it when Barrie has generally played well (he also seems great in the room).
Well, I'm gonna say this. Its a pro hockey game, the highest rung of hockey. nobody is going to remove Barrie from the PP when he's putting up elite numbers and being sexy on the best PP unit in the world. One of the best PP's alltime. Barrie is parked there and should be for as long as we have him. His play with the puck has been incredible and this year pretty good without it too. Barrie is a D stud on the PP, and he is elsewhere this season.

Bouch has had time on the PP this season and doesn't do much with it. Frankly Bouch doesn't do much of anything in any unit play. Thats where it stands. You have to earn your looks in this league and Bouch earned only 12mins last night and he's been in the league several years now. The case on D is if they don't show much in first 200GP they won't period.

For sure I don't say get rid of him but going down the stretch and into the playoffs its a problem on a cash strapped team is we can't really use him much, he's the weak link D on the club behind two rookies, and while we ought to bide time with him its an awkward situation. I'm sure Bouch too realizes how much both Desharnais and Broberg are blowing his doors off and taking spots.

Reactions: Zenos

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Not sure. Somebody else had posted it and I just replied.

Yeah, the stuff about Kane getting injured was definitely on CP.

CP is a sad little circle jerk. Five or six posters venting their anger.

It is interesting how different fan boards evolve. CP is a group of people actively watching Oilers games just to bitch about it in their group. Never really seen that here on HFOil. Don't want to.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
AGREED
Last year, we thought we had a steal in Ceci

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, the stuff about Kane getting injured was definitely on CP.

CP is a sad little circle jerk. Five or six posters venting their anger.

It is interesting how different fan boards evolve. CP is a group of people actively watching Oilers games just to bitch about it in their group. Never really seen that here on HFOil. Don't want to.

I just took a peek there for the first time in forever, and it's as dumb and hilarious as expected.

Their complex about Evander Kane would be pretty funny if it weren't so pathetic. Must not have been fun watching him tap dance all over them in the playoffs last year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I just took a peek there for the first time in forever, and it's as dumb and hilarious as expected.

Their complex about Evander Kane would be pretty funny if it weren't so pathetic. Must not have been fun watching him tap dance all over them in the playoffs last year.
He did run Tkachuk right out of there, so I can see them being salty about that. It is really funny though.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Their chief rival is a primary reason they lost two superior forwards for old man Kadri and Hugenoshow. At least they got a top 4 D out of it but the place was a salt mine about the Oilers before, now they could be a primary supplier for Windsor Salt.

Reactions: Ibanez and Zenos

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Their chief rival is a primary reason they lost two superior forwards for old man Kadri and Hugenoshow. At least they got a top 4 D out of it but the place was a salt mine about the Oilers before, now they could be a primary supplier for Windsor Salt.

That's not to mention the chief rival mentally breaking their $6M "Vezina caliber" goalie that they have on the books for another three years after this.

• Love
Reactions: Ibanez and Oilhawks

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Well, I'm gonna say this. Its a pro hockey game, the highest rung of hockey. nobody is going to remove Barrie from the PP when he's putting up elite numbers and being sexy on the best PP unit in the world. One of the best PP's alltime. Barrie is parked there and should be for as long as we have him. His play with the puck has been incredible and this year pretty good without it too. Barrie is a D stud on the PP, and he is elsewhere this season.

Bouch has had time on the PP this season and doesn't do much with it. Frankly Bouch doesn't do much of anything in any unit play. Thats where it stands. You have to earn your looks in this league and Bouch earned only 12mins last night and he's been in the league several years now. The case on D is if they don't show much in first 200GP they won't period.

For sure I don't say get rid of him but going down the stretch and into the playoffs its a problem on a cash strapped team is we can't really use him much, he's the weak link D on the club behind two rookies, and while we ought to bide time with him its an awkward situation. I'm sure Bouch too realizes how much both Desharnais and Broberg are blowing his doors off and taking spots.
Really agree with your assessment - and I feel that Barrie sometimes doesn't get the credit he deserves around here. No, he doesn't have that booming shot, but the numbers don't lie; the PP is a huge success with him on the ice. Also, he's really skilled at holding the blueline. That ability, along with a guy like RNH who's quite good at picking-off clearing attempts is huge for maintaining pressure and zone-time (allowing the real wizards to do their work). Bouch might look "sexier" with that huge clapper, but I'm not really convinced he's a better fit.

At the same time, it's a good option to have. Look at the series against COL for instance; their PK tended to collapse super low and just let Barrie and Nuge play catch with one another. I actually think it would have been advantageous to throw Bouchard out there for some of those power plays.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

I just want barrie to shoot more. He has an accurate shot. And passes up opportunities to shoot. I know our pp is elite. Im not saying we blow it up. But when it struggles at times it’s because we are being way too pretty and teams are covering McDavid and Drai well.

Great. That means there is probably a seam at the top. Bombs away barrie. With the hyman deflection or rebound goal.

We are 32 percent. I bet with that adjustment we push closer to 35.

Barrie watched too much Fresh Prince of Belair and the Basketball episode. “Pass it to Will”

Sigh. I just severely dated myself

Reminds me of that chicken shit in Rasmus Andersson
Such a turd that guy is. He’s like the fake tough guy in a bar hiding behind his friends while yelling “hold me back”.

You know what the most delicious tears are? Markstrom tears :)

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Weegar is good. But dear god. 8 years for a top 4 d man? These contracts are going to age so poorly. Book it. 3 years from now. Flames fans will be bitching about Kadris 30 pt and declining seasons. He was never a crazy offensive threat. All three players had outlier years and they got outlier contracts. I truly objectively think Trev made some big mistakes in going big and long on all three…

Woof

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really agree with your assessment - and I feel that Barrie sometimes doesn't get the credit he deserves around here. No, he doesn't have that booming shot, but the numbers don't lie; the PP is a huge success with him on the ice. Also, he's really skilled at holding the blueline. That ability, along with a guy like RNH who's quite good at picking-off clearing attempts is huge for maintaining pressure and zone-time (allowing the real wizards to do their work). Bouch might look "sexier" with that huge clapper, but I'm not really convinced he's a better fit.

At the same time, it's a good option to have. Look at the series against COL for instance; their PK tended to collapse super low and just let Barrie and Nuge play catch with one another. I actually think it would have been advantageous to throw Bouchard out there for some of those power plays.
This season Nuge and Barrie have been allstar bumpers for the best PP ever. They may not be running all the numbers but they are doing impeccable service in the unit and thus completing it. Again this is the best PP ever, the best one I've seen, and its right here, and you don't change it. Only a doofus coach would change it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Weegar is good. But dear god. 8 years for a top 4 d man? These contracts are going to age so poorly. Book it. 3 years from now. Flames fans will be bitching about Kadris 30 pt and declining seasons. He was never a crazy offensive threat. All three players had outlier years and they got outlier contracts. I truly objectively think Trev made some big mistakes in going big and long on all three…

Woof
haha. Welcome to what @Oilhawks myself and others were saying from the moment these deals occurred while the supposed hockey "experts" were busy wetting themselves over the flames additions. The Flames paying so much and so long for Hubereau, Weegar, and Kahhhhhdrriiiiii was the best news in a long time. It insures Flames suckage for the indefinite future. Suitable for the Saddledump, they should just stay there. Nobody is going to want to watch this Flames club.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
haha. Welcome to what @Oilhawks myself and others were saying from the moment these deals occurred while the supposed hockey "experts" were busy wetting themselves over the flames additions. The Flames paying so much and so long for Hubereau, Weegar, and Kahhhhhdrriiiiii was the best news in a long time. It insures Flames suckage for the indefinite future. Suitable for the Saddledump, they should just stay there. Nobody is going to want to watch this Flames club.
I live in Calgary and I’m ashamed of that building lol. City needs a new venue pronto. It’s a joke.

I turned down the last flames oilers game in the Dome. No joke because I thought of how much of a hassle it is to get there and park (not to mention getting out after the game). The terrible food. The awful seats and 50 min bathroom lines.

I passed on that and enjoyed the game from the comfort of my couch. :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I live in Calgary and I’m ashamed of that building lol. City needs a new venue pronto. It’s a joke.

I turned down the last flames oilers game in the Dome. No joke because I thought of how much of a hassle it is to get there and park (not to mention getting out after the game). The terrible food. The awful seats and 50 min bathroom lines.

I passed on that and enjoyed the game from the comfort of my couch. :)
Not laughing at you, just calgary and well saddledump.heh. Theres things I like about Calgary but mostly just the bow and elbow rivers and the islands and natural areas. The built city can take a hike.

But at least its in Alberta so all good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad