Oilers' Defence Set Up to Fail Again?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
As an outsider its clear that you are still lacking an elite puck moving defenseman and will likely miss the playoffs until you find one despite your elite forward depth.

If I were your coach I'd be running the following D lines:

Sekera-Larsson
Fayne-Gryba
Davidson-Klefbom
Nurse
Sekera-Larsson is an elite 2nd line. Larsson may have potential but you still come up quite short.
Fayne-Gryba is just there to handle heavy minuites so your younger d can gain strength... If they are getting hurt they will never reach their potential
Klefbom-Davidson Neither of them are ready for 2nd line minutes, Klefbom has injury problems and both of them need to be sheltered. This should be an elite 3rd line but I'm guessing Klefbom gets put on the 1st line with Larsson which you will regret.
Nurse will soon be ready for top 4 minuites

Oesterle/Reinhart I wouldnt count on them.

Why would Klefbom need to be sheltered? When healthy he is perfectly capable of playing big minutes. How well he does in that role is yet to be determined but he is at least able to play adequately right now.

Ideally you want Sekera on as an anchor the second pairing. That is the role he is best suited for and the one he was really acquired to play.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
As an outsider its clear that you are still lacking an elite puck moving defenseman and will likely miss the playoffs until you find one despite your elite forward depth.

Sekera-Larsson
Fayne-Gryba
Davidson-Klefbom
Nurse
Sekera-Larsson is an elite 2nd line. Larsson may have potential but you still come up quite short.
Fayne-Gryba is just there to handle heavy minuites so your younger d can gain strength... If they are getting hurt they will never reach their potential
Klefbom-Davidson Neither of them are ready for 2nd line minutes, Klefbom has injury problems and both of them need to be sheltered. This should be an elite 3rd line but I'm guessing Klefbom gets put on the 1st line with Larsson which you will regret.

Fayne-Gryba would be a very good 2nd pairing (in the AHL)

Klefbom is not a #6 and I dont know why the Oilers would regret putting Larsson with him.. Klefbom's foot infection doesnt mean he needs to be sheltered neither does Davidson and his knee collision.

IMO Larsson needs more sheltering than Klefbom but both will compliment each other nicely.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
There is a general sense of optimism about the Edmonton Oilers' defence being improved, but I took a devil's-advocate look at whether it is set up to fail again? It's a long read but hopefully a good one. Feedback welcome. http://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-defence-set-up-to-fail-again/

Cup winnig/Caliber teams have.

1. Top 8 HSCA save% goalies
Talbot
#2 HSCA save% goalie last 3 years.

2. 3+ top60 HSCA D
Larsson
top 10 HSC AD
#9 Sa/60 D
#1 EVGA D
#12 PKGA D

Davidson
top 30 HSCA D
top 50 SA/60 D
top 30 EVGA D
#5 PKGA D

Klefbom
top 60 HSCA D
top 50 SA/60 D
top 15 PKGA D

we need 76+ gm from
Davidson -Larsson
Klefbom -Fayne
al d that have been top 50 Sa/60 d in last 2 years.

3. Good even production forward depth.
EVP/60 fwds
#2 Mcdavid 2.69
#20 Draisatl 2.20
#37 pouliot 2.05
#40 Lucic 2.04
#83 Eberle 1.85

Mr. Fisher!
larsson was the best in the game at what Dmen are asked to do.
Prevent GA.

Will hall ever be the #1 forward at generating GF?
Lets look at GF rank.
#3 Mcdavid 3.36
#12 Lucic 3.15
#53 Hall 2.74
#86 draisatl 2.60
#115 Pouliot 2.48
#129 RNH 2.42
#131 Eberle 2.41
#172 maroon 2.19

Last edited:

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Fayne-Gryba would be a very good 2nd pairing (in the AHL)

Klefbom is not a #6 and I dont know why the Oilers would regret putting Larsson with him.. Klefbom's foot infection doesnt mean he needs to be sheltered neither does Davidson and his knee collision.

IMO Larsson needs more sheltering than Klefbom but both will compliment each other nicely.

the guy is the best EVGA d in the game facing the toughest Comp/ZS situation since the 05 lockout.

I guess if he needs sheltering.

then every d in the game does!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
the guy is the best EVGA d in the game facing the toughest Comp/ZS situation since the 05 lockout.

I guess if he needs sheltering.

then every d in the game does!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Klefbom was not sheltered last season and did more than fine playing on a garbage team with garbage partners.
Larsson has been sheltered pretty much all his NHL career and was playing ahead of a top5 goalie in the NHL and a very solid defensive partner in a very solid defensive system. ..

Larsson is probably the better Dman but he hasnt really had to carry a pairing therefore my comment.. My post was in response to someone who had Klefbom playing #6D role for the Oilers when he clearly is better than that.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Klefbom was not sheltered last season and did more than fine playing on a garbage team with garbage partners.
Larsson has been sheltered pretty much all his NHL career and was playing ahead of a top5 goalie in the NHL and a very solid defensive partner in a very solid defensive system. ..

Larsson is probably the better Dman but he hasnt really had to carry a pairing therefore my comment.. My post was in response to someone who had Klefbom playing #6D role for the Oilers when he clearly is better than that.

I'm not sure how you could argue Larsson was sheltered.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
No no no no, let's not make this into a Klefbom vs Larsson thread...

Larsson has more experience as a 1st pair shut-down D against the toughest possible opposition and has done very well. Klefbom has also faced tough competition, although for a relatively short time relative to Larsson, but he did well (especially last season before injury).

Both are young and not done growing. Larsson imo is more safe and calm in how he plays and I think he plays at a higher level right now and has a higher ceiling. However, apart from injuries, Klefbom has had this capability of always taking huge steps forward when you least expect it and I could very well see him taking another one this season when playing with someone like Larsson instead of Schultz. Safe in his own end but also a great puck mover, that could do wonders for Klefbom's game.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I don't agree with what you wrote, but if your goal was to write an article with the intention of drumming up some controversy and getting some attention, I think you succeeded.

this is how i feel

i dont think the majority of oiler fans are dumb enough to expect larsson to be the saviour on defence. i think they know we gave up a top lw for a top 4 d who looks like he can be a top d RHD.

I also think people dont pay attention to his game. Its his zone exits and passing that make me know he will be of enormous benefit to the oilers. getting the pucks cleanly to his forwards. If he just plays with the same constraints as NJ...he will still post more points in EDM just due to the level of talent he passes those pucks to. I suspect though that he will be given trust to join rushes and take an extra move or two with the puck. He WAS drafted as an offensive dman afterall....something everyone seems to forget.

It would be nice if you would write an actual hockey article instead of a summary of hf board material.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Edmonton could really use a vet presence on the third line. Someone who can calm things down and eat some pk time, to give Larsson a chance to develop his offence and not only focusing on shuting players down + pk:ing.

Someone like......? (as in, any suggestions?)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Edmonton could really use a vet presence on the third line. Someone who can calm things down and eat some pk time, to give Larsson a chance to develop his offence and not only focusing on shuting players down + pk:ing.

Someone like......? (as in, any suggestions?)

Brodin, Jonas

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sheltered by his D partner as in not having to carry the pairing.
Klefbom has had no such luxury.

Interesting claim. Now try backing it up with some relevant data that supports it.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sheltered by his D partner as in not having to carry the pairing.
Klefbom has had no such luxury.

It is true he benefited by playing with Greene, but he was a better point producer in that time. Also, the Greene Larsson pairing had an extremely hard assignment and yet both players had positive plus minus. There's no way Greene could carry Larsson to such a high degree. He's not even considered an elite D

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013

Sekera-Larsson
Fayne-Gryba
Davidson-Klefbom
Nurse

Putting a spin on your intro, yes, it is clear you are an outsider. Those pairs are horrendous.

On another note, nice flip-flop there Larry. Wonder when we see an article with all of Fourier's pillaged data? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad