Oilers consider moving fourth overall pick

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
no no no

its hypothetical just like the larkin plus dekeyser plus mrazek suggestion

if a team trades for the fourth and its a crazy return for edmonton then holland should be applauded for staying out of it

if a team trades for the fourth and its something we could have easily beaten with no sweat off our back then yes holland should be bent over the coals for not besting it

Yes, Holland should ask. He shouldn't not know the price to go to 4OA. There is literally no way that the price is anything reasonable for the Wings (You may not mind trading DeKeyser+ for it, but they certainly would), but he should at least ask the question.

More likely though, he ought to be looking at 8 or 9 if he's interested in moving up. One of Sergachev, Juolevi, or Chychrun should be there at 8 or 9, assuming one of those three is a D target that Holland would be in love with. Why spend the assets to move up to the front of the line if the guy/one of the guys you want will be there five or six slots back?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yes, Holland should ask. He shouldn't not know the price to go to 4OA. There is literally no way that the price is anything reasonable for the Wings (You may not mind trading DeKeyser+ for it, but they certainly would), but he should at least ask the question.

More likely though, he ought to be looking at 8 or 9 if he's interested in moving up. One of Sergachev, Juolevi, or Chychrun should be there at 8 or 9, assuming one of those three is a D target that Holland would be in love with. Why spend the assets to move up to the front of the line if the guy/one of the guys you want will be there five or six slots back?

4th spot is just not doable

but 9th? i think it is as i dont think the canadians view themselves as a bottom 10 team entering a rebuild but rather a fluke season because of price's injury, in which case i see the canadians willing to trade that pick to drop down and add immediate roster help(scoring)

i propose

9th plus 45th(montreal owns Minnys pick)

for

16th OA, tatar, ouellet

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Come on, XO and Marchenko as part of your core? AA who hasn't proven a damn thing? The fact that those are the names you offer in defense of our core says everything. And it's not good. Massive inflation on that one.

You have to start somewhere and get those players on the ice. With the product Holland is icing now which is "first round exit at best" there is no reason what so ever these guys do not have more NHL games and ice time under their belt.

Sure maybe they are not part of the core but get the Richards, and Ericksons that are "NOT" part of the core out of the *** way so we can find out what we got.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
4th spot is just not doable

but 9th? i think it is as i dont think the canadians view themselves as a bottom 10 team entering a rebuild but rather a fluke season because of price's injury, in which case i see the canadians willing to trade that pick to drop down and add immediate roster help(scoring)

i propose

9th plus 45th(montreal owns Minnys pick)

for

16th OA, tatar, ouellet

I guess it really depends who is available. If there is a top 10 defenseman still on the board that would be worth it. If they draft another small skilled forward at 16th that is a huge risk the team already has too many small skilled forwards. I mean I wouldn't pass up elite small skilled anything but too many average to good small forwards is not all that competitive.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
1 hit wonder? He had two back to back years with 28 and 27 goals. Even this year in a down year for literally everyone on the Wings roster besides Larkin (who he rarely played with), he scored 17.

With middle six minutes, he scored 43 points this year, again, in a down year for the entire roster as they changed to a new system.

Nyquist is nice, but he's not a core player.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Nyquist is nice, but he's not a core player.

Ok?

I never said he was. It's just simply an inaccurate statement to say he was a one hit wonder when he essentially repeated his "one-hit" and was still a productive roster member on a team that was woeful at production.

Nyquist isn't a superstar like he may have looked in the last two months of a couple years ago... but he's a very good player.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Why couldn't he be a core player? He isn't the type to carry the team on his back but if they surrounded him and Tartar with actual talent its not like he is old.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm hoping that Datsyuk retiring and Z (hopefully) taking a seat further in the back will help Nyquist be a bit more offensively assertive and a little less likely to make the extra pass just to get the puck to one of them. He's a really good offensive player when he's actually shooting freely.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why couldn't he be a core player? He isn't the type to carry the team on his back but if they surrounded him and Tartar with actual talent its not like he is old.

Nyquist? He never will be a core player. He doesn't step up in the playoffs. And his production is going to be barely 1st line if he hasn't had a peak year already

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I guess it really depends who is available. If there is a top 10 defenseman still on the board that would be worth it. If they draft another small skilled forward at 16th that is a huge risk the team already has too many small skilled forwards. I mean I wouldn't pass up elite small skilled anything but too many average to good small forwards is not all that competitive.

Well let's say the draft goes like this:

Matthews
Laine
Pulu
Chychurn
Juolevi
Sergachev
Dubois
Tkachuk
Wings pick here. Everyone else is available.

Personally I think Jost goes before the Wings pick, and that still leaves Nylander, Keller, or whoever.

So Jost or Keller if all 3 big dman are gone, which likely won't be the case.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Well let's say the draft goes like this:

Matthews
Laine
Pulu
Chychurn
Juolevi
Sergachev
Dubois
Tkachuk
Wings pick here. Everyone else is available.

Personally I think Jost goes before the Wings pick, and that still leaves Nylander, Keller, or whoever.

So Jost or Keller if all 3 big dman are gone, which likely won't be the case.

I personally would only want us to trade up to draft one of the big 3 dmen, otherwise the difference between the 6th forward taken and the 9th is peanuts

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Nyquist? He never will be a core player. He doesn't step up in the playoffs. And his production is going to be barely 1st line if he hasn't had a peak year already

I guess what I am trying to say is if he is expendable you don't have to expend him, just because "burn it down" he is not a bad player and surrounded by the right core, he might be part of the core.

I personally would only want us to trade up to draft one of the big 3 dmen, otherwise the difference between the 6th forward taken and the 9th is peanuts

Completely agree, if they trade up and draft a small skilled forward I will kick my TV in at the next Holland shot. Unless they magically unload Howard and Erickson to trade up.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
As much as we need defense, and we certainly do. I am quite certain we lost to Tampa, because we couldn't score any goals. Honestly, offense seems like more of a concern to me, than overdoing it with how bad our defence is.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
As much as we need defense, and we certainly do. I am quite certain we lost to Tampa, because we couldn't score any goals. Honestly, offense seems like more of a concern to me, than overdoing it with how bad our defence is.

You know dman can score goals 2. And they are mostly the reason why any team scores goals. The whole play starts from that first pass

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You know dman can score goals 2. And they are mostly the reason why any team scores goals. The whole play starts from that first pass

We had more than enough chances to score and didn't. Outside elite defenceman, you don't generally get that many goals from the blueline.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We had more than enough chances to score and didn't. Outside elite defenceman, you don't generally get that many goals from the blueline.

Yeah we don't have any finishers

But dmen are the main reason teams score more. What were the highest scoring teams. How many of them have a worse dcore or similar dcore to the wings

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah we don't have any finishers

But dmen are the main reason teams score more. What were the highest scoring teams. How many of them have a worse dcore or similar dcore to the wings

Not arguing about are d, just that we need our forwards to put those awesome chances in the net.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not arguing about are d, just that we need our forwards to put those awesome chances in the net.

People miss chances. Just like people have giveaways. I don't care too much about mistakes. Better rosters win In a playoff series most of the tine

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I mean, ignoring defensemen doing the actual scoring, there's a lot to be said for actually getting some effective breakout passing (or effective passing at all) from your defense. Green was the only guy who seemed to have any ability to get the puck up the ice in a usable fashion. I guess what I would argue is that, even while we did get 34 shots in game 5 (and some great chances that guys really just have to put in in the playoffs), I feel like a lot of our shot numbers in the playoffs were really inflated by low-percentage chances at bad angles, and I feel like that kind of shot was really a result of an inability by the team, and specifically the defense, to set up much of anything in the offensive zone. Ovechkin isn't going to score 50 goals if every pass goes into his skates or comes 5 seconds too late.

That said, I think the point still holds true: our guys have to actually score occasionally. Hopefully step one is letting some of our guys with demonstrably poor hands play lesser roles, or walk in FA (since we're past the point of being able to trade them).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Oilers are crazy if they pass a chance to draft this class best defenceman Juolevi on their team.

Juolevi is exactly what Oilers team needs and he is exactly what our team needs. Finnish Lidström on the making.

I would trade that pick to Detroit any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad