Salary Cap: Oilers cap penalty

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Does anyone know where we stand with the salary cap?

I had read that bonuses to Drai, McDavid, Nurse could put us over the cap but I have to assume with all the IR and waiver transactions there might be some impact on our salary spending.

i can't imagine anyone has worked it out....but feel free to chime in on this as I have no idea what I'm talking about.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Does anyone know where we stand with the salary cap?

I had read that bonuses to Drai, McDavid, Nurse could put us over the cap but I have to assume with all the IR and waiver transactions there might be some impact on our salary spending.

i can't imagine anyone has worked it out....but feel free to chime in on this as I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Bonuses can slide to next year without penalty. Combine that with money saved by burying Scrivens and Fayne and I think we will be okay.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
20G 60pts kicks in a couple bonuses I believe.. Draisaitl might still get to 60pts but would be tough for McDavid to reach it with his injury.

Not sure how it works with defencemen.. Should be safe when it comes to Nurse, Davidson Klefbom and Rainhart considering all are on ELC.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I'm not concerned about the Oilers cap situation. It's very doubtful that all of the players who are eligible to receive ELC bonuses get them. It's even more doubtful that all of them get their maximum bonuses. And in the highly unlikely event that the bonuses do push us over the cap, we have the ability to slide that over to the 2016-17 year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A total travesty that this team has any cap issues at all.

It really doesnt. Katz has issues Oilers dont.
Fayne, Scrivens, Nikitin, Ference :amazed:

Purcell, Schultz and Gryba we should be walking away from next year as well.

Next season we would be a lot closer to cap floor than cap ceiling unless Chia goes whale hunting.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hall-Drai-RNH
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Khaira-Lander-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

Klefbom-xxx
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Reinhart

Nilsson
xxxx

All of the above would have us below the cap floor with s goalie(Talbot), extras and a RD to shop for.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the Oilers don't move any salary by the deadline and if McDavid comes back early enough to be a factor in the Calder race then I would say there is a pretty decent chance that the team carries a fair bit of overage into next year. Even if McDavid does not finish in the top three for the Calder, I still think there will be a small overage. Draisaitl, Nurse and Klefbom could hit $1M in bonuses fairly easily. If McDavid hits his full Schedule A bonus and te Calder bonus they could have a $1-2M overage.

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
If the Oilers don't move any salary by the deadline and if McDavid comes back early enough to be a factor in the Calder race then I would say there is a pretty decent chance that the team carries a fair bit of overage into next year. Even if McDavid does not finish in the top three for the Calder, I still think there will be a small overage. Draisaitl, Nurse and Klefbom could hit $1M in bonuses fairly easily. If McDavid hits his full bonus they could have a $1-2M overage.

Okay...this is what I was thinking.

So essentially this would mean you need to budget below cap for two years if your bonuses are carrying over? Right?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Okay...this is what I was thinking.

So essentially this would mean you need to budget below cap for two years if your bonuses are carrying over? Right?

No. Just for the year of the overage. But you do need to factor in the potential for bonuses to be hit in future years. McDavid and Drai are both capable of hitting their full bonus.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It really doesnt. Katz has issues Oilers dont.
Fayne, Scrivens, Nikitin, Ference :amazed:

Purcell, Schultz and Gryba we should be walking away from next year as well.

Next season we would be a lot closer to cap floor than cap ceiling unless Chia goes whale hunting.

Well katz has no issues because he is moving into a cash palace and all the season seat holders are paying but that is beside the point.

I think what you meant to say is we won't have a cap issue NEXT year.

We get to this years trade deadline and we finally get a chance at a top end guy that will really help, a dman or forward or goalie, doesn't matter which. The team we are going to deal with wants prospects and picks back in return and also want cap relief.

Ooops. Our gms hands are tied because we have no cap room THIS year. Thus my comment about it being absurd we have cap issues.

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Forward Cap Bonuses

20 Goals, 35 Assists, 60 Points, 0.73 PPG minimum 42 games played, top 3 forwards in +/-, top 6 forwards in average ice time

D-Man Cap Bonuses

10 Goals, 25 Assists, 40 Points, 0.49 PPG minimum 42 games played, top 3 D-Men in +/-, top 4 D-Men in average ice time

Bonuses as well if selected in to the All-Rookie team and the All-Star team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well katz has no issues because he is moving into a cash palace and all the season seat holders are paying but that is beside the point.

I think what you meant to say is we won't have a cap issue NEXT year.

We get to this years trade deadline and we finally get a chance at a top end guy that will really help, a dman or forward or goalie, doesn't matter which. The team we are going to deal with wants prospects and picks back in return and also want cap relief.

Ooops. Our gms hands are tied because we have no cap room THIS year. Thus my comment about it being absurd we have cap issues.

Would we really have cap issues though? I think we are pretty safe unless both Drai AND McDavid hitt all their bonuses. Eberle being on IR earlier on and Pouliot when Ebs came back would also have provided cap relief. Pretty sure Chia knows what he is doing and there should be plenty of cap room to add an expensive body if we are in a playoffs chase.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I say we have a very good chance either Drai or McDavid wins the Calder. That activates bonuses too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad