GDT: Oilers@Blackhawks - 7:30PM - Shenanigans

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Skinner has been our saving grace this season.

The silly "always with the second best goalie" comments are just stupid, that's all.
No. They're accurate. And it is a problem.

Skinner should turn into a good NHL goalie, but with Campbell playing so bad, Skinner is playing more than he should. And now, the regression is on. With Schwartz' spectacular record of developing quality starters, I'm sure he'll pull out of the tailspin.

Weak on D. Weak in net. This is supposed to be a cup run year.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No. They're accurate. And it is a problem.

Skinner should turn into a good NHL goalie, but with Campbell playing so bad, Skinner is playing more than he should. And now, the regression is on. With Schwartz' spectacular record of developing quality starters, I'm sure he'll pull out of the tailspin.

Weak on D. Weak in net. This is supposed to be a cup run year.
Skinner isn't regressing. He's learning the job of an NHL starter.

Regression is Jacob Markstrom.

Skinner has had many a fine night in front of a terrible D. But nobody ever talks about having a good goalie and his save percentage when they lose. It's the same second best goalie shit because he wasn't good enough to get the win.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Skinner isn't regressing. He's learning the job of an NHL starter.

Regression is Jacob Markstrom.
You have to start keeping track of the posts that are being responded to. You said Skinner is the saving grace. He was. And now he has regressed. His save percentage is taking a nose dive which could be an anomaly, but he's letting in more saveable goals.

The job of an NHL starter is to save saveable shots. It's not a good position to put a young goalie in when there isn't confidence in the actual starter. That's how you ruin goalies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You have to start keeping track of the posts that are being responded to. You said Skinner is the saving grace. He was. And now he has regressed. His save percentage is taking a nose dive which could be an anomaly, but he's letting in more saveable goals.

The job of an NHL starter is to save saveable shots. It's not a good position to put a young goalie in when there isn't confidence in the actual starter. That's how you ruin goalies.
A couple of off games is not a regression. He has absolutely been the teams saving grace this season, and him having a couple of off nights doesn't change that.

Him posting an all star season and then being a sub .900 goalie the next season is regression. I don't understand why people on these forums insist on using super small samples to try and paint sweeping pictures.

He's a 2.80 and .919 on the season. He's doing just fine in his first full season in front of a shoddy defense. If that's what having the second best goalie every night gets you, I'll take it. He's tied for 9th in the league in SV%.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
A couple of off games is not a regression. He has absolutely been the teams saving grace this season, and him having a couple of off nights doesn't change that.

Him posting an all star season and then being a sub .900 goalie the next season is regression. I don't understand why people on these forums insist on using super small samples to try and paint sweeping pictures.

He's a 2.80 and .919 on the season. He's doing just fine in his first full season in front of a shoddy defense.
Or 5 of 7 after the phenomenal start.

The reason people use small sample sizes is because we've seen this movie before. Campbell has been bad so Skinner now has to play too much, and he'll do so behind a bad defense. He'll get picked apart and his confidence will diminish, and he'll be tossed on the trash heap of once promising prospects. I hope I'm wrong, but there is valid reason for concern, and the Oilers are in prove-me-wrong territory.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Or 5 of 7 after the phenomenal start.

The reason people use small sample sizes is because we've seen this movie before. Campbell has been bad so Skinner now has to play too much, and he'll do so behind a bad defense. He'll get picked apart and his confidence will diminish, and he'll be tossed on the trash heap of once promising prospects. I hope I'm wrong, but there is valid reason for concern, and the Oilers are in prove-me-wrong territory.
You're just assuming everything that can go wrong in the worst way possible is going to happen. Small sample sizes mean nothing, especially so when you're using them in this manner, and especially with players in their first full season.

You do you.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad