Oilers beating to their own drum?

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
From the Blues standpoint the trade isn't that bad. Paajarvi is a good defensive forward with size and speed.
The 2nd round pick is a very high one. I wish the Oilers gave up a third instead.

Paajarvi averaged 10:14 TOI in the regular season and had a whopping 12 points in 55 games. I'd say the Blues are pretty happy they're getting a high second rounder to make up for Paajarvi's minimal contribution to the team's success. Paajarvi never used his size effectively, still doesn't. He has no goal scoring touch and isn't a great playmaker. He's just fast. I'd rather have Perron any day of the week. Honestly, good riddance.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
They use advanced stats because they finally figured out they're not good at choosing players so now they let the computer decide for them.

So you're saying Quennevile and Hitchcock use advanced stats because they dont know how to coach?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'll bring it back to negative, did acknowledging advance stats work? Clearly not...

You can acknowledge them all you want, but you have to bring in players in the end. The players is what improves the team, not using the stats. The stats identify what players you should look into. They are a means to an end, not an end themselves.

I saw a lot of Toronto fans mocking Corsi because the originator of the stat (Jim Corsi) got fired as the goalie coach in Buffalo. Jim Corsi doesn't make player personnel decisions and cant bring in players, so its a stupid argument.

I think a lot of teams will start using Advanced stats in the future (top teams already are), so those underrated players that are found in FA will become less and less available as they are found. MacT has to be the first mover to get these players now

Its a lot like how Detroit had a massive first mover advantage in scouting lesser European leagues in the 80s and 90s, but once other teams caught on an dmove din, the advantage shrunk

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So you're saying Quennevile and Hitchcock use advanced stats because they dont know how to coach?

Heres a look at other top teams using advanced stats: (Taken from Leaf board)

Teams that use analytics extensively include but are not limited to:

Los Angeles Kings - Lombardi's interest in advanced stats is pretty well-documented. "How the Los Angeles Kings Corsi'd their way to the NHL's elite".

San Jose Sharks - They even use Corsi in their junior scouting to evaluate draft picks. They actually employ people who track shot differentials for all junior games. They've been doing this since 2005 (!).

Chicago Blackhawks - Front office has an analytics analyst. Bowman talked at MIT Sloan Sports Analytics conference about how when he first became GM they used a subjective rating system provided by coaches, and how it never matched reality.

St. Louis Blues - Armstrong has commented that they've tried to build their team around puck possession and spending their time in the offensive zone, emphasizing puck moving rather than chip and chase play. Hitchcock has made many references to analytics. Employ a statistics graduate student.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Front office has an analytics analyst, they've said it influences their personnel decisions.

Boston Bruins - Have their own internal +/- statistic that's based on scoring chances and not just goals/shots, and employ an analytics consultant company.

Minnesota Wild - "It's part of every decision we make". As in determining what players are worth? "Absolutely." What about how players are used? "We use it in everything."

Burke/Nonis/ Tortella/Carlyle seem to be the biggest opponets of advanced stats. Do you want to be like a Carlyle or Hitchcock?

Its creeping into regular operations more and more. Even NBC was showing Corsi during games. If you don't look into them, you risk your undervalued players getting poached, or giving up players you should be keeping (Grabovski).

Last edited:

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
They pile the BS up in press conferences more than any organization in the NHL. From Lowe's pathetic letter saying Brodziak, Nilsson, Gagner, Stortini, etc. were going to be the core for the future, to Katz' battle to pad his pockets with a sweet arena deal, not to mention the Seattle fiasco, then MacT's promised big move and impatient off season that resulted in yet another bottom 3 finish. Has any organization put their fans through more pain and BS than the Oilers? Can't think of one that is even close.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
this thread has started off with a lot of negativity but what about being one of the first teams to at least openly acknowledge using advanced statistics.
Using them to do what, get high draft picks? Corsi-boy must be crying himself to sleep right now.

Other nhl teams will copy the Oilers when the us army starts buying parachutes from the Taliban.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
But obviously it is about time they used more than they have been in the past. Any change can only be better because there isn't worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad