Oilers beating to their own drum?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
how bout discussing all the ways the Oilers' organization does things differently. Every organization is different, so it isn't unusual that there will be examples. But, there are some in which the Oilers stand alone (or almost alone).

Many teams hire ex-players, but the Oilers have taken this to a level of ridiculousness.

Building your team from the wing has got to be a first in league history.

there's more I'm sure.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Firing a coach after 48 games. I wasn't a fan of Krueger but even I was okay with giving him at least a full training camp and 40 games this season to see how we would perform. Having Eakins coach makes me miss Krueger.

4 coaches in 5 years and we end up with the worst one yet.

Beyond delusional management group.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
It's the only thing the Oilers have consistently beaten over the past decade.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

I'm not sure I'd include this one...if you're referring to picking Hall and Yakupov 1st overall over Seguin and Murray, they went with the consensus BPA both times which is hardly unique for teams to do, especially when they're drafting 1st overall. It just so happened that in the 2010 and 2012 drafts the BPA happened to be a winger. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Or are you referring to something else?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Not drafting and developping goalies with any reasonable success. It seems like its not even a priority among the management group. Considering most top goalies are developed from within. (ie Price, Crawford, Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist)

I would rather be in the position of the Kings and the Ducks trading away goalies because you have too many good ones.

Look at all the goalies we used this year. Dubnyk, Labarbera, Bryzgalov, Bachman, Fasth, Scrivens.

Who do we have in the pipeline. Brossoit (who we traded for in the Smid deal). Bunz, Tuhomiaa, Hovonen.

Oilers get a big fat F in the goaltending department in my books.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
this thread has started off with a lot of negativity but what about being one of the first teams to at least openly acknowledge using advanced statistics.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
how bout discussing all the ways the Oilers' organization does things differently. Every organization is different, so it isn't unusual that there will be examples. But, there are some in which the Oilers stand alone (or almost alone).

Many teams hire ex-players, but the Oilers have taken this to a level of ridiculousness.

there's more I'm sure.

Definitely not the first team

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

This is pretty much what Atlanta did, Heatley + Kovalchuk didn't work out to well for them either, they also had a lot of early 1st round picks bust on them. Doesn't seem like MacGregor is hitting home runs on all of our 1st round pick, but seems like we are making contact with the ball everytime, we have yet to make a legitimately bad pick in the first round, although when 3 of your 7 first round picks are 1st overalls you should definitely have a decent track record to say the least.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'm not sure I'd include this one...if you're referring to picking Hall and Yakupov 1st overall over Seguin and Murray, they went with the consensus BPA both times which is hardly unique for teams to do, especially when they're drafting 1st overall. It just so happened that in the 2010 and 2012 drafts the BPA happened to be a winger. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Or are you referring to something else?

Eberle, MPS, Hall, Pitlick Yak, and a few others. they drafted wingers with their top picks something like 6 straight times, or at least twice as often as the other positions, and considering wing is the least impactful and most easily fillable position.

Should they be beating someone else's drum?

I'm confused.

how 'bout doing what the good teams do, like, say actually conducting interviews to fill the most important jobs in the organization. Hiring people with a proven track record, from winning organizations. this is an organization with the worst 5 year record in league history, yet continues to operate in the same manner that brought about this dubious distinction. it boggles the mind.

to be fair, there are signs that they are seeing the light. For example, they are, perhaps, the only team that thinks (thought) you can win with a collection of dangling, toe-dragging nice boys. This seems to be changing, finally.

there are some examples that can be considered a good thing. like, as has been posted, utilizing advanced stats.

but, overall, the Oiler way is the wrong way. How bout hiring friends that you are too close with to let go, later. Well, they are probably not alone on this one, but they have taken it to a level that is in complete contradiction with basic business principles.

you can't have their record and conclude you are doing things the right way. Or, at least, you shouldn't. The Oilers prove you can.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Eberle, MPS, Hall, Pitlick Yak, and a few others. they drafted wingers with their top picks something like 6 straight times, or at least twice as often as the other positions, and considering wing is the least impactful and most easily fillable position.

BPA is almost always the best draft philosophy if you're picking in the Top 10. This board would have rioted if the Oilers had taken Seguin or Murray at 1, and for the most part we were ecstatic when Paajarvi was still there at 10.

Also, Pitlick was drafted as a Center. It's a tough position to learn in the pros, so he was moved to the wing. Definitely not a unique development approach. Outside of round 1, you could argue that the Oilers have strayed from BPA to a fault by taking guys like Musil or Moroz with their second rounders.

SoftDumps

Oct 11, 2013
Popped in to record my laugh at the thread title. Beating to their own drum :)

They must really think that drum is sexy...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
this thread has started off with a lot of negativity but what about being one of the first teams to at least openly acknowledge using advanced statistics.

That could explain how they are able to polish turds like no other organization.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
That could explain how they are able to polish turds like no other organization.

With a couple of notable exceptions, one of the things MacT has done well in his tenure is identifying poor players and moving them out. I mean seriously, when it became obvious that our goaltending was poor, it was torn down and rebuilt within a single season. Can you imagine Tambellini getting similar results? He would have "assessed" it all season long before sending LaBarbera to the minors and signing Byron Dafoe.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

they got Perron because "the advanced stats guys were raving about him". thats a pretty dam polished turd in return for paajarvi and a 2nd

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005

I'll bring it back to negative, did acknowledging advance stats work? Clearly not...

rickyrunfar

Mar 1, 2014

Yet they still consider "character" as the most important player attribute.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

This has to be the most miss guided thing I've read.

You can't convince me that Drafting Seguin, RNH, and Ryan Murray changes where this team is today.

The Oilers made some mistakes later in the drafts... particularly passing on Jenner for Musil. But that doesn't even justify your point as they both play the positions you said we aren't building around.

Call it a crappy rebuild but there's no evidence of them consciously thinking "Hey guys let's build this team from the wing out!".

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
they got Perron because "the advanced stats guys were raving about him". thats a pretty dam polished turd in return for paajarvi and a 2nd

From the Blues standpoint the trade isn't that bad. Paajarvi is a good defensive forward with size and speed.
The 2nd round pick is a very high one. I wish the Oilers gave up a third instead.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

This is abou the only positive thing about them. Watching the Blues/Hawks game, they said Quenville and Hitchcock get advanced stats every intermission and use it to formulate game plans.

I hope MacT takes them into consideration making trades/ siging players.

Every advanced stat observer could see the Clarkson debacle 20 miles away. Advanced stats can also show you under utilized players, and players that just suck (Fraser)

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

They use advanced stats because they finally figured out they're not good at choosing players so now they let the computer decide for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad