Proposal: Oilers/AVS OFF SEASON TRADE

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This is what's funny about hfboards.

1st overall >>>>>>>>>>>>>> top 30 player in the league.

revisionist history shows that 1st overalls have a tough time cracking that mark.
Especially when you remove the gimmes like McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkins.. whom Hughes isn't even close to that level.
He's not even on the Tavares, Stamkos, Mathews level of hype and projections imo.

All I'm saying is if the Oilers won the lottery and got Hughes. I'd be happy if he matched Leon's production.

The argument isn't Draisaitl vs Hughes. It's Draisaitl vs Hughes + 7.5 million in cap savings. That's why it doesn't make sense.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Neither team does this. Colorado would want the prospects and cap savings. Oilers would want to keep the proven commodities whilst McDavid is still around.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
this is very,very bad for the avs

hughes has more upside than draisaitl and makar has more upside than nurse

Edmonton isnt turning Nurse and draisaitl into Hughes,Makar and Skinner

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018
I’m aware of that but...

1) Hughes is most likely going 1st overall, but it’s not like he’s on Dahlin/McDavid/Eichel level. He’s probably closer to Hischier level than anything else.

2) it’s not a given that Hughes will play at C. Lots of scouts wonder if he’ll end up at W instead.

3) Draisaitl is only 23 and signed long term. 8.5M is also a decent deal for a PPG Center, isn’t it? He also was an absolute BEAST in the only playoff year he played.

So, yeah, I totally believe he is worth Hughes and Makar.
I see that you have eaten up what Pierre McGuire said about him being on a hischier level more than a Matthews level lol such a dumb thing to say, draisaitl didn't look like a 100 pt center after his draft and he also gets a bulk of his points on mcdavids wing. Hughes at ELC with his upside > Draisaitl and his 8.5m contract that I have seen Oilers fans question before lol. Than comes Makar for nurse ... You can preach all day that unproven draft picks are nothing but potentially good players but their has been historically more good picks than bad at these positions in the draft. Makar brings more than an intense offense for a dman but he brings character and a PP QB capability. I'm a nurse fan but he's only just recently been utilized on the pp. Klefbom will surely take that over when he returns.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I remember when Oiler fans said stuff like this about Yakupov.

You can say that Draisaitl is better than Hughes, as Hughes hasn't proven he can even play at the NHL level. Now, of course he probably will succeed, but that doesn't mean that he ends up a superstar, or even a 1st line centre. There's a lot of counting your chickens here.
He'll be making about $7 million a year for a few years.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
Why even have good players when you can just deal them for mystery boxes continually?

A player on pace for 95 points is all well and good but Hughes could be anything! He could even be a 95 point player one day!

I get the Avs not wanting to do this but unless the plan is to waste the entirety of McDavid’s contract and piss him off to the point he demands a trade, Edmonton shouldn’t either.
Can you tell me how edmonton will fill their gaps? A skilled winger and an offensive dman is exactly what you guys say you need desperately. EDM does this deal in a heartbeat

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018
My question is why are Edmonton fans offering 23 year old draisaitl and nurse who they are clearly talking up in this thread as just as valuable as Hughes and Makar? If they are that valuable why are you offering them unless you think that's the better route to take lol. Arguing that draisaitl is a better option than taking Hughes in the draft but at the same time arguing the trade should be accepted lolol doesn't help Colorados vision or plan and it makes no sense to strip the only chemistry Edmonton has in McDavid and draisaitl

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Can you tell me how edmonton will fill their gaps? A skilled winger and an offensive dman is exactly what you guys say you need desperately. EDM does this deal in a heartbeat
I think if any of us knew exactly how to do that, we would be ready for a GM position, ha ha. I think everyone knows that the Oilers need to cut salary. But I also think that cutting salary by trading our best players isn't the solution. If you look at our roster, you can see why we have cap issues, and it isn't paying 2 of the top scorers in the league what they are worth. It's by paying plugs and depth players too much. If you eliminate Benning, Manning, Petrovic and Sekera (permanent LTIR) from our bloated blueline, we are sending out 11 million in space right there. Ridding ourselves of Reider and Spooner would save ourselves another 5. Kasian, another 2. Sign a cheaper backup goalie and we save a couple of million for next year. Of course, we still need to replace some of these guys, but the problem isn't with the top end, its with the lack of a middle, and the bottom end. It shouldn't be that hard to get the Oilers to around 75 million for next season, and then we add a couple of new middle six forwards (avg 4 million per year) we're still likely just under the cap (assuming it raises a couple of million).

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

No, they don’t. Draisaitl is on a 98 point pace. Is Hughes going to do that next year? The year after that? How about the year after that?

Makar is a prospect. A very good one, but still just a prospect. Is he going to be as good as Nurse is today? How long will it take him to adapt to a much more difficult game?

This would be devastatingly bad for Edmonton in the short term. It might work out long term, but neither the management or the fan base has any appetite for yet ANOTHER rebuild.

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018
No, they don’t. Draisaitl is on a 98 point pace. Is Hughes going to do that next year? The year after that? How about the year after that?

Makar is a prospect. A very good one, but still just a prospect. Is he going to be as good as Nurse is today? How long will it take him to adapt to a much more difficult game?

This would be devastatingly bad for Edmonton in the short term. It might work out long term, but neither the management or the fan base has any appetite for yet ANOTHER rebuild.
Makar will certainly be as good as nurse is very soon when it comes to PP effectiveness and overall offensive output. I'd bet money on that

bbskiff

Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
*Trade based on Avs being awarded first overall pick in draft via Sens*

To Oilers
J. Hughes- all world skill- still some questions if his game translates at the next level..
Makar- Future QB of power play... a Dman who can get McDavid the puck...
*Oilers use cap savings to sign Jeff Skinner to play with McDavid..

To Avs
Draisaitl-Avs get their second line centre & secondary scoring...
Nurse- Having an off year-however still has size with upside..

Hahahaha....

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The players might have similar talent levels but Oiler fans are acting like 10m in cap space doesn't matter. I also think Nurse and Draisitl are two of the most overrated players in the league. Draisitl is basically Monahan offensively and worse defensively. Nurse is basically Phaneuf. Lots of athletic ability but no hockey sense.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018

im sorry to be the one to tell you that, but you guys need a rebuild/retool.

You changed your gm, but i dont see your prospect pool as particullary deep (yeah yeah bear, yama....).
a new GM wont be able to easily fill the gaps like mentioned.

I like Draisaitl, I like his contract (in my opinion fair for nowadays), but if you have an opportunity to trade him for a hughes typ prospect and, maybe even more important, a properly developed blue chip defender prospect like makar, who finally can be the PP QB you guys do need, you do it. Nurse is a give in, ok the last few games he was good, we both know that he was not too stellar the last months/year.

When your new GM and the scouting staff not go full detroid/nashville and manage to find some zetterberg/datsyuk/weber/josi players in the later rounds, I guess you need to go the development root. You cannot trade your garbage for Talent. Even if the edmonton fan base won't like it it will need some time (again)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Skinner - Hughes - Compher

thats scary

Actually the forward lineup is already scary if they just obtain a Top 5 pick:

Landy - Mack - Rants
Jost - Sens Pick - Kaut
Kerfoot - Soda - Compher
Greer - Bowers - Kamenev

Gone: Wilson, Ghetto, Bourque & Nieto

Not only will the AVs get younger, but they'll have even more Cap Space with cost controllable salaries. They'll have room to make trades and sign UFAs.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Actually the forward lineup is already scary if they just obtain a Top 5 pick:

Landy - Mack - Rants
Jost - Sens Pick - Kaut
Kerfoot - Soda - Compher
Greer - Bowers - Kamenev

Gone: Wilson, Ghetto, Bourque & Nieto

Not only will the AVs get younger, but they'll have even more Cap Space with cost controllable salaries. They'll have room to make trades and sign UFAs.

Rantanen's new contract will far exceed the savings from everyone you have leaving, and we'll end up with actually less cap space. Then we'll still need to re-sign Zadorov, Compher, Kerfoot, and our lesser RFAs, while still keeping cap space in reserve for the following year when Barrie is a UFA and Girard and Jost need new contracts, and continuing to plan for the future, when Makar/Kaut/Sens pick all want/deserve to get paid. We'll be a cap team soon enough, there's no reason to cause ourselves long term headaches because we're eager to spend all our cap space now.

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
*Trade based on Avs being awarded first overall pick in draft via Sens*

To Oilers
J. Hughes- all world skill- still some questions if his game translates at the next level..
Makar- Future QB of power play... a Dman who can get McDavid the puck...
*Oilers use cap savings to sign Jeff Skinner to play with McDavid..

To Avs
Draisaitl-Avs get their second line centre & secondary scoring...
Nurse- Having an off year-however still has size with upside..
I'm just here for the amazing comments

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Rantanen's new contract will far exceed the savings from everyone you have leaving, and we'll end up with actually less cap space. Then we'll still need to re-sign Zadorov, Compher, Kerfoot, and our lesser RFAs, while still keeping cap space in reserve for the following year when Barrie is a UFA and Girard and Jost need new contracts, and continuing to plan for the future, when Makar/Kaut/Sens pick all want/deserve to get paid. We'll be a cap team soon enough, there's no reason to cause ourselves long term headaches because we're eager to spend all our cap space now.
The likelihood that we’re gonna have everyone on the roster is close to nil.

Guys will be moved out, other players will take their place.

No point in just paying all our existing players new contracts if that team ultimately isn’t good enough.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The likelihood that we’re gonna have everyone on the roster is close to nil.

Guys will be moved out, other players will take their place.

No point in just paying all our existing players new contracts if that team ultimately isn’t good enough.

I absolutely agree that we won't end up with everyone. But, there are enough high potential guys in the system that we should be planning for at least one of our youngsters to eventually deserve a big raise on a long term contract. And some of our current youngsters (Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher, Kerfoot) have done enough to deserve raises of various sizes now, which is already going to cut into our cap space. The year after that Girard will be a RFA, Barrie a UFA. How much cap will we add keeping both of them? What's Makar going to deserve coming off his ELC? Or whoever we get with the Sens pick? Is one of the other prospects (Kaut, Bowers, Jost, etc) going to deserve a raise in a couple of years? Why not keep some available cap space to plan for dealing with those situations when the time comes?

I would also love to know how you're going to find out whether the team is ultimately good enough if you don't give them a reasonable chance to try. Are we just supposed to assume that you're right, without actually testing your theory?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I absolutely agree that we won't end up with everyone. But, there are enough high potential guys in the system that we should be planning for at least one of our youngsters to eventually deserve a big raise on a long term contract. And some of our current youngsters (Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher, Kerfoot) have done enough to deserve raises of various sizes now, which is already going to cut into our cap space. The year after that Girard will be a RFA, Barrie a UFA. How much cap will we add keeping both of them? What's Makar going to deserve coming off his ELC? Or whoever we get with the Sens pick? Is one of the other prospects (Kaut, Bowers, Jost, etc) going to deserve a raise in a couple of years? Why not keep some available cap space to plan for dealing with those situations when the time comes?

I would also love to know how you're going to find out whether the team is ultimately good enough if you don't give them a reasonable chance to try. Are we just supposed to assume that you're right, without actually testing your theory?

I know weve got to play pretend here a bit, but do you even need to keep Barrie if Makar makes it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00