Rumor: Oilers asking teams interested in Puljujarvi to take Lucic's contract

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Not to kick Puljujarvi while he's down but he doesn't have nearly enough value to justify taking that contract.

Like...I wouldn't even say it's close.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What are they asking for in return?

As a canuck fan I'd be interested if the ask was cheap cheap cheap.

I assume our true elite cup window opens in around 3 years, at which point lucic only has 1 year remaining.

Pulju is young. He could still become a fairly elite piece.

Although, if I were the canucks owner, I'm not sure how much I'd want to be paying lucic 6m a year to do nothing.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't understand the reaction here. It's worth a shot to try to get rid of Lucic's deal.

Puljujarvi is still not even 21, to act like he has no value is weird. I think he'll find success as a 2nd liner in his next destination

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
30 teams in the NHL can turn Puljujarvi into a star player, Edmonton cannot. Trading teams gets him cheap but take on an expensive contract for 4 years.
I can see a few teams that might be interested ...Vegas, Carolina, Montreal

There's never been a contract as bad as Lucic's that wasn't an insured LTIR contract dumped. (Clarkson was an entirely different scenario)

There is no guarantee that a new team is able to successfully develop Puljujarvi. He's at best worth a mid to late 1st round pick right now. If the report was that the Oilers would attach the 20th pick in the draft with Lucic's contract, would you expect teams to take him on?

The problem with Lucic's contract is that there's loads of money owed including signing bonuses, and lockout bonuses. This disqualifies the more frugal teams from helping the Oilers.

The other problem is it's not just a bad AAV, it's a bad AAV attached to a long term. A team like the Rangers who are rebuilding and have deep pockets might not want to commit to taking a contract that they'll have to keep on their books well beyond when their rebuild should have momentum.

There's also the idea of leverage. If there are so few teams able to take him, the unique team who can help the Oilers will not do it for just Puljujarvi. There's multiple historical cap dump trades that dictate the cost should be higher.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
"Jesse Puljujarvi is on IR with a lower-body injury that may cost him significant time. So he is not likely to be dealt by Monday. But the 2016 fourth-overall winger wouldn’t have been on the move anyway, not with Oilers interim GM Keith Gretzky insisting that interested parties also be willing to pick up the final four years of Milan Lucic’s deal at an annual $6 million cap hit."

Exact quote

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There are maybe 4 organizations who would do this move. Eliminate the ones in the West who don’t want to give Edmonton any wiggle room on their cap issues to turn things around quickly. Any deal would still not happen until the next bonus payment is paid on July 1st. Even then teams involved may ask for additional high end piece(S) to do it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You want to take a chance on our prospect who has greatly under preformed expectations since being drafted?

Well, you need to take arguably the worst contract in the league to get that type of player!

If I was in a position to take Lucic, it would require Evan Bouchard coming my way, not Puljujarvi

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
To be fair, the Oilers retaining $1.5-$2 million on Lucic's contract makes that a much easier move with adding Puljujarvi. Lucic at $4.5 million and Puljujarvi for a 4th is similar to the Bickell and Terevainen for a 2nd trade that happened a couple years ago.

I mean sure but still would be a limited market no? Seems like more of an offseason deal anyhow.

Maybe 3-4 teams would be interested if EDM retains $2million on Toucan?

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
As they should be. Add some 2nd rounders and b prospects and see if someone bites.

I think Bergevin might go for Lucic + Puljujarvi + Jones + 2nd for FC
Done. Sending the fax papers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad