Pre-Game Talk: Oilers @ Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Another one of those "let's see what this team is made of." games

Hate to be the debbie downer but historically.

This is the exact type of game we crap the bed in.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Another one of those "let's see what this team is made of." games

Hate to be the debbie downer but historically.

This is the exact type of game we crap the bed in.

Yes, exaclty. We win big last night, play a much weaker team tonight. Watch a loss. The yotes are a terrible team, I don't care what their record is. We should win, but.....

insider

Nov 14, 2003
That's 4 starts in 5 games for Nilsson, including a back-to-back.

Talbot has been less than great in the very near past. Nilson has been good.

Can we start reading into this or not?

McDeathbyCheerios*

That's 4 starts in 5 games for Nilsson, including a back-to-back.

Talbot has been less than great in the very near past. Nilson has been good.

Can we start reading into this or not?
It's a contest. You play well you get rewarded. You have an awful game then play bad to make up for it its not a good statement.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Agree with the comments made, this should be a "must win" mentality for the team, but wouldn't be surprised if they laid an egg.

Curious what the lines will look like, will Slepy be re-called in time for the game?

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Hall-Ryan "Nugey-Nuge" Hopkins-Dr. Drai
Purcell-Letestu-Eberle
Slepyshev-Lander-Yakupov?
Gadzic-Miller-Pakapaka?

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
Like that they're playing Nilson. He's 25 years old and a professional athlete. I don't think fatigue will necessarily be an issue. You play the hot hand and knowing the competitor Talbot is, also light a fire under him to bring his game up. Certainly sends a message.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I'm sure Talbot gets the message. You play well, you play again. You don't, then your ass gets cold on the bench.

Two young guys, both with the ability to be good in net. I see no problem here, and I think Nilsson was the right choice tonight, back to back or not. It's not much of a worry to play a guy back to back, when you have another guy who will be eager to impress in his next outing and share the workload.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a game where Hall and Nuge show whether they've learned how to lead a team. They need to go out and show why they're our top line again, putting it on their shoulders with Dr. '1.67ppg' Drai to truly make the difference.

Shut down Domi and Duclair, see profit.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Talbot should be starting. There's no reason when you have a tandem like this to go with the same guy back-to-back. If you want to reward Nilsson, give him the isolated starts, not a back-to-back.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Talbot should be starting. There's no reason when you have a tandem like this to go with the same guy back-to-back. If you want to reward Nilsson, give him the isolated starts, not a back-to-back.
I think it's more of a message to Talbot then anything.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Like that they're playing Nilson. He's 25 years old and a professional athlete. I don't think fatigue will necessarily be an issue. You play the hot hand and knowing the competitor Talbot is, also light a fire under him to bring his game up. Certainly sends a message.

I like the message but not sure if this is the best time. Most goalies struggle in back to back situations. Depending on the goalie it generally is better strategy to play the other goalie and then reward "Nilsson" in this case by giving him the following game no matter how good Talbot does tonight.

This is the go for broke type move I'd rather not see. Shows how badly McLellan wants to make the playoffs. Which is good but... Just not sure it matters anymore and just has a good chance of backfiring.

If Nilsson gets a strain or injury McLellan/coaching is responsible, IMO.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No regulation wins in 18 games vs. the Coyotes. How does that even happen? This isn't St. Louis or the Kings or other teams we struggle against that are actually good.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but in Reinharts interview it sounded like he referred to Gryba as "Mutant". He mentioned it under his breath so I'm not positive but I like it...:laugh::handclap:

McDeathbyCheerios*

No regulation wins in 18 games vs. the Coyotes. How does that even happen? This isn't St. Louis or the Kings or other teams we struggle against...
We broke a lot of our winless against this year. First time we beat Anaheim in Anaheim in like 3 years

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I like the message but not sure if this is the best time. Most goalies struggle in back to back situations. Depending on the goalie it generally is better strategy to play the other goalie and then reward "Nilsson" in this case by giving him the following game no matter how good Talbot does tonight.

This is the go for broke type move I'd rather not see. Shows how badly McLellan wants to make the playoffs. Which is good but... Just not sure it matters anymore and just has a good chance of backfiring.

If Nilsson gets a strain or injury McLellan/coaching is responsible, IMO.

Go for broke move? Trying to make the playoffs?

Hell man, I don't understand how you see it that way at all. This is a message to their goal-tending, plain and simple. You play well, you keep playing.

Trying to divine more from this is just fan-fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad