News Article: Oilers are missing the boat when it comes to Jeff Petry

New dawn

Sep 26, 2012
One year for Petry is perfect.We have Nurse,Marincin & Klefbom knocking on the door and all three have more upside than Petry.A long term contract would only risk our ability in signing all of these three to longer term contracts.If two of these three prove to be ready at training camp then Petry on a longer term contract becomes more of a problem than a help.McT is keeping his options open which I agree with.Smart guy.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
One year for Petry is perfect.We have Nurse,Marincin & Klefbom knocking on the door and all three have more upside than Petry.A long term contract would only risk our ability in signing all of these three to longer term contracts.If two of these three prove to be ready at training camp then Petry on a longer term contract becomes more of a problem than a help.McT is keeping his options open which I agree with.Smart guy.
They are lefties, Petry plays right.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I guess my only problem with the one year is that we lose a bit of value in trading Jeff. A 2 or 3 year deal (if possible) at 4 million would be perfect as we can flip him for more if he's not in the long term plans.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Petry has been making the same dumb mistakes for years now. He won't get much better than he is now, I'm afraid. It's a problem when someone as inconsistent as him is our best dman.

I hope this doesn't turn into another Dubnyk/Gagner situation where we keep putting him in a big role and wait for him to live up to a potential he'll never reach. Same goes for Schultz.

Petry has only played 236 games, you make it sound like he has been making the same mistakes for 10 years.

Schultz has played 122 games.

The better question might be asked about development, and I do believe Ramsay is going to help us a lot.

Eirhead*

Petry has only played 236 games, you make it sound like he has been making the same mistakes for 10 years.

Schultz has played 122 games.

The better question might be asked about development, and I do believe Ramsay is going to help us a lot.

The average NHL career lasts 248 regular season games.

Personally, I think Petry is serviceable, but he should be partnered with someone better than him. Or at very least offers some different dynamics: nastiness, a shot, and a calm presence in the defensive zone. I think Nurse would be an ideal partner for Petry. And don't tell me Petry is the best we got. Petry's got good relative advanced stats, whoop-di-do, he doesn't have that "game changing" element to his game. The only game changing he does is giving the puck away at inopportune times. Put a slap shot as his partner, and that passing ability he has might rack up an extra dozen second assists, and hopefully positively affect his real stats, like points and +/-.

I think I'm done ragging on Petry for the rest of the off-season. This topic is polarizing and extremely subjective.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The average NHL career lasts 248 regular season games.

Personally, I think Petry is serviceable, but he should be partnered with someone better than him. Or at very least offers some different dynamics: nastiness, a shot, and a calm presence in the defensive zone. I think Nurse would be an ideal partner for Petry. And don't tell me Petry is the best we got. Petry's got good relative advanced stats, whoop-di-do, he doesn't have that "game changing" element to his game. The only game changing he does is giving the puck away at inopportune times. Put a slap shot as his partner, and that passing ability he has might rack up an extra dozen second assists, and hopefully positively affect his real stats, like points and +/-.

I think I'm done ragging on Petry for the rest of the off-season. This topic is polarizing and extremely subjective.

So prior to the additions this off season which dman on the team was better than Petry?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So prior to the additions this off season which dman on the team was better than Petry?

Cue the Marincin boosters.
Then cue the facepalming response by seasoned fans.

People really shouldn't dump on the guy. He hasn't peaked yet, and has been used out of his depth his whole career. I know it's fun to want to toss a player out like a mouldy sack of tangerines the year before UFA status, but we need d-men in their prime, and Jeff hasn't hit his yet. Make him the whipping boy for another miserable Oilers season, and he just might renege on his contract negotiation in 2015.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Its not about who is better than Petry right now. It is about role of Petry on a contending team. It looks like MacT is sold on guys like Nurse, Klefbom, Fayne and Schultz but not on Petry\Nikitin so much. We need to upgrade him to a true top pairing Dman if we are ever going to make a big splash in post season.. Now is the time for whale hunting using Petry++ as a bait.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
slightly off topic

Jeff's rookie #58 jersey is proudly displayed on the wall in Barwis Method's Gym on the Discovery Channel's show American Muscle..

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
slightly off topic

Jeff's rookie #58 jersey is proudly displayed on the wall in Barwis Method's Gym on the Discovery Channel's show American Muscle..

can be seen here :

barwis-methods-005.jpg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

People really shouldn't dump on the guy. He hasn't peaked yet, and has been used out of his depth his whole career. I know it's fun to want to toss a player out like a mouldy sack of tangerines the year before UFA status, but we need d-men in their prime, and Jeff hasn't hit his yet. Make him the whipping boy for another miserable Oilers season, and he just might renege on his contract negotiation in 2015.

I like Marincin...I think he is going to be a solid top 4 defender in a few years.

The thing that has hurt Petry the most is the absolute junk he has been surrounded with. He is not a top pairing dman but due to a lack of depth Petry has been forced into that role. Then he (predictably) falters and fans jump all over him without considering the situation.

Play him in a proper role as a 3/4 dman and Petry will be a solid contributor.

Its not about who is better than Petry right now. It is about role of Petry on a contending team. It looks like MacT is sold on guys like Nurse, Klefbom, Fayne and Schultz but not on Petry\Nikitin so much. We need to upgrade him to a true top pairing Dman if we are ever going to make a big splash in post season.. Now is the time for whale hunting using Petry++ as a bait.

How do you know that MacT prefers those players to Petry?

On a contending team they would have the depth to play Petry in an appropriate role. I have no idea how that applies to the Oilers.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Rob Soria is up there with Richard Cloutier.

Aka why you can't take bloggers seriously

This Soria piece was quite weak.

I'm guessing he never worked in the media prior to his blogging career.

His premise, which is basically the title of the post, isn't supported by what he writes in the post. His two "options" at the end of his piece are simplistic, to be generous. Where is the analysis? Is he incapable of providing any more than this or was it simply an off day?

Wouldn't want to completely ignore a blogger after one questionable piece of weak. Definitely wouldn't bookmark him at this point. Meh, he started a discussion if nothing else.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I guess my only problem with the one year is that we lose a bit of value in trading Jeff. A 2 or 3 year deal (if possible) at 4 million would be perfect as we can flip him for more if he's not in the long term plans.

I think this is exactly what MacTavish thought regarding the Gagner contract last year. That sure worked out for us, eh? In a lot of ways an expiring contract can be worth a lot more to teams making a playoff push. I think MacTavish learned you don't hand out term to a guy you possibly view as not being in the long term plans.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How do you know that MacT prefers those players to Petry?

On a contending team they would have the depth to play Petry in an appropriate role. I have no idea how that applies to the Oilers.

Fayne he just signed to a 4yr deal.. Schultz he seems to be drooling over a lot.
Klefbom he loves as well... He is still high on drafting the perfect player in Nurse.

and now Petry gets the 1yr deal. It is easy math IMO on who MacT wants long term and who he has as stop gaps. Half year of Petry lets him marinate Klefbom in minors some more. I expect Petry to be traded mid season\trade deadline if Klefbom is ready and Nurse shows good signs during his 9 game tryouts.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This Soria piece was quite weak.

I'm guessing he never worked in the media prior to his blogging career.

His premise, which is basically the title of the post, isn't supported by what he writes in the post. His two "options" at the end of his piece are simplistic, to be generous. Where is the analysis? Is he incapable of providing any more than this or was it simply an off day?

Wouldn't want to completely ignore a blogger after one questionable piece of weak. Definitely wouldn't bookmark him at this point. Meh, he started a discussion if nothing else.

I that criteria were used to distinguish the credibility of mainstream reporting then there would be no point in reading anything.

There are some excellent bloggers out there.

That said there is junk everywhere especially including the mainstream...pick your resources wisely.

Eirhead*

Marincin makes safer plays on the average. Neither are quite my type of defenceman though.

Here's a stat.

Petry has 2.46 giveaways per 60
Marincin has 2.34...
Ference 2.20
J. Schultz 2.18 (them points)
N. Schultz 2.06
Mark Fayne was 1.46 on the Devils... see the issue maybe???

A 4 year vet shouldn't be getting beaten by a rookie on the mistake stat. Petry is the worst defenceman on the team in this regard. I prefer that my defenceman limit chances in their own zone first and foremost - not being the ones creating them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Marincin makes safer plays on the average. Neither are quite my type of defenceman though.

Here's a stat.

Petry has 2.46 giveaways per 60
Marincin has 2.34...
Ference 2.20
J. Schultz 2.18 (them points)
N. Schultz 2.06
Mark Fayne was 1.46 on the Devils... see the issue maybe???

A 4 year vet shouldn't be getting beaten by a rookie on the mistake stat. Petry is the worst defenceman on the team in this

regard. I prefer that my defenceman limit chances in their own zone first and foremost - not being the ones creating them.

This stat would be so subject to who a player is playing with/against as to render it virtually meaningless.

Not to mentioned TKA/GVA stats as tabulated by the NHL being pretty poor and not very well standardized.

As far as Fayne the one thing that better score would illustrate is playing for a better club against weaker than WC opposition. Virtually any player on a good club would have less GVA than those on a bad club. Virtually any player on a club with well developed systems and puck support would have less giveaways.

Several dynamics are at work in these kinds of stats that preclude being able to use them to differentiate respective D.

your argument reminds me of Staples "errors" stat. He assumes players with high errors/60mins are hotjunk. In actual case what you often find is that the players with the most errors are the ones intimately involved in most plays. A player like Omark, allergic to any ownzone puck battle, and who avoided it like his life would be in peril did fine in Staples errors stat. Because he was usually as far away from puck in ownzone as is physically possible..Sometimes, and in Petrys case all the numbers really reveal was who was most likely to be in battle at any given time. Actually, the players that you want to have.

I'll guarantee you Faynes GVA goes up here. I also know why it will occur.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This stat would be so subject to who a player is playing with/against as to render it virtually meaningless.

Not to mentioned TKA/GVA stats as tabulated by the NHL being pretty poor and not very well standardized.

As far as Fayne the one thing that better score would illustrate is playing for a better club against weaker than WC opposition. Virtually any player on a good club would have less GVA than those on a bad club. Virtually any player on a club with well developed systems and puck support would have less giveaways.

Several dynamics are at work in these kinds of stats that preclude being able to use them to differentiate respective D.

your argument reminds me of Staples "errors" stat. He assumes players with high errors/60mins are hotjunk. In actual case what you often find is that the players with the most errors are the ones intimately involved in most plays. A player like Omark, allergic to any ownzone puck battle, and who avoided it like his life would be in peril did fine in Staples errors stat. Because he was usually as far away from puck in ownzone as is physically possible..Sometimes, and in Petrys case all the numbers really reveal was who was most likely to be in battle at any given time. Actually, the players that you want to have.

LoL. Rather cryptic of you. Feel like just saying I told you so later on or just drumming up some interest.

There are so many reason why most likely Faynes numbers will get worse next year.

Eakins not having a clue how to organize a defensive system being #1. I really hope Ramsay can just take the reins and give us a solid system that works with our club without Eakins blundering it all up.

Eirhead*

As far as Fayne the one thing that better score would illustrate is playing for a better club against weaker than WC opposition.

Ya except Fayne had the hardest match ups on the devils, covering Crosby, Ovechkin, Nash etc. Add to that, the giveaway stat is unforced giveaways.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Ya except Fayne had the hardest match ups on the devils, covering Stamkos, St. Louis, Ovechkin, etc. Add to that, the giveaway stat is unforced giveaways.

Fayne was playing with a D that is better than Fayne or anything the Oilers have. Playing within a solid system. For a few years MacT was able to get some considerable carry wood/water out of normal guys like Smith and Staios using a butthead simple dumpout and pretty good forward puck support and retrieval. Somehow this worked as forwards took on more responsibility for D that typically couldn't move the puck properly to save their lives. Neither Staios, or Smith were particularly good D either before, or after their stints here. With staios actually rusting to hotjunk while here.

With a system its possible to get a lot more out of players. Guess what we don't have here. :D

Next, define "unforced giveaway" and consider how nebulous, subjective, Ill defined, and also impractical such a distinction is in the complex and fastest sport in the world, hockey. That they're now subjectively redefining giveaways within giveways gives me even less faith in the stat.

Eirhead*

Next, define "unforced giveaway" and consider how nebulous, subjective, Ill defined, and also impractical such a distinction is in the complex and fastest sport in the world, hockey. That they're now subjectively redefining giveaways within giveways gives me even less faith in the stat.

It's when you pass it to the wrong team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's when you pass it to the wrong team.

If that's the way in which you see that then you're not really looking at the complex game of hockey. Most NHL players (D especially) don't make any particular habit of passing the puck intentionally to the wrong team. Giveaways happen when support isn't there, a guy isn't where he's supposed to be, or a pass gets deflected, bounces, etc.

I can imagine that an appreciable amount of the *giveaways* have other things involved than a pro player not being able to pass the puck. Something Petry is infinitely better at then aforementioned guys like Staios and Smith.

Repeat with me, Petry is fine, D need systems and puck support to operate effectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad