Speculation: oilers , and others , scouting cbj

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
That’s a ridiculous expectation.

Merz has looked a lot better this season and Campbell is a massive negative cap dump.

No chance Columbus is trading Merz for Campbell+

For a far worse goalie.

It would make absolutely zero sense
Unless they are embracing the succ.

I agree. The Oilers would have to pay up.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers have been scouting the Blue Jackets the last few games now I believe.

I assume this thread is going to be Oiler fans wanting to swap Campbell and something small for Merzlikins and the Blue Jacket fans saying that something extra needs to be massive.
It’s worth noting that Merzlikins wasn’t much better than Campbell last year,(Merz was last in the NHL in goals saved above expected) but there’s no comparison this year. Merz is playing well. Columbus would want and would get a sizeable +.

That would be such an enormous and complicated trade to pull off, I really don't think it's goalies.

There might be something in the works with Boqvist - though that is very unlikely unless there is also a Bouchard move in the mix. Maybe they've reached the breaking point with Bouchard.

There's also a lot of forwards in the Jackets lineup - a scorer like Chinakhov is finally getting looks now, or maybe a depth guy like Mathieu Olivier or Eric Robinson. Olivier is in the lineup tonight. I think all of those guys are a lot better than Gagner or Erne or whatever is on the Oilers 4th line any given night.
Bouchard has been a point per game this year and he’s looked really good in the last month. As big a plus as would be needed to swap Campbell and Merz, a bigger one would be needed for Boqvist/Bouchard.

Edmonton is desperate.
Not so much anymore. Skinner is 6-2 in his last 8 with a .902 and a shutout. Not game breaking, but we’ve never needed game breaking.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I know its not the move Edmonton fans want but it wouldnt be terrible. Columbus sucks but their depth guys are playing great. Edmonton would benefit if they fix their depth.
Yeah but I mean they would add depth everywhere except where they need it the most. Oilers operate completely opposite of how Canucks operate. Canucks have addressed almost all their needs in one offseason including getting rid of dead weights. And they are still not done yet and still are active. Meanwhile Holland's only action so far is do nothing in offseason except sign Connor Brown and during this season he only booted Campbell down to minors for Pickard. It's pretty wild how incompetent Holland is. If Alvin was Oilers GM, they would have revamped that whole D and goalie by now

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bouchard has been a point per game this year and he’s looked really good in the last month. As big a plus as would be needed to swap Campbell and Merz, a bigger one would be needed for Boqvist/Bouchard.

C'mon bro, don't lie to me. I'm an Oilers fan too. It was just about two weeks ago Bouchard was directly responsible for like 3 goals against in a loss. He's been responsible for too many goals against this year. Might be turning the corner now though, let's hope.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah but I mean they would add depth everywhere except where they need it the most. Oilers operate completely opposite of how Canucks operate. Canucks have addressed almost all their needs in one offseason including getting rid of dead weights. And they are still not done yet and still are active. Meanwhile Holland's only action so far is do nothing in offseason except sign Connor Brown and during this season he only booted Campbell down to minors for Pickard. It's pretty wild how incompetent Holland is. If Alvin was Oilers GM, they would have revamped that whole D and goalie by now
Yeah I agree,Holland is simply not a good GM. Columbus isnt really a great target to fix the goaltending position (Merzlikins means too much to the team currently) or defense (maybe see's something in Boqvist or Peeke but not great targets for Edmonton). They are a good team to get bottom 6 players from however

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
C'mon bro, don't lie to me. I'm an Oilers fan too. It was just about two weeks ago Bouchard was directly responsible for like 3 goals against in a loss. He's been responsible for too many goals against this year. Might be turning the corner now though, let's hope.
Plenty of oilers fans are dumb as rocks, haha. His advanced stats are near the top of the league. He has warts but I assure you, Edmonton is nowhere near “breaking point” with the 5th highest scoring D in the league.

Yeah I agree,Holland is simply not a good GM. Columbus isnt really a great target to fix the goaltending position (Merzlikins means too much to the team currently) or defense (maybe see's something in Boqvist or Peeke but not great targets for Edmonton). They are a good team to get bottom 6 players from however
A guy that got some play on Edmonton radio today was Justin Danforth

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Plenty of oilers fans are dumb as rocks, haha. His advanced stats are near the top of the league. He has warts but I assure you, Edmonton is nowhere near “breaking point” with the 5th highest scoring D in the league.

Id hate to see Columbus trade him but he makes perfect sense from Edmonton's side

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Oilers problem is they don't even have a reliable backup as of now. That's even more incompetent than Benning because Benning would actually get a backup to support his goalie if they got rid of their backup. Not sure what Oilers are doing but wasting McDavid and Drai prime years is pretty sad. As a Canucks fan am happy though, since it's less competition for Canucks in the division.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

I’d be surprised if the Jackets traded Danforth after extending him, but that is exactly the type of player they should be targeting.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm still hopeful for Bouchard but he can win you a game and lose it for you as well. The advanced stats don't fully account for the bad defensive details that cause goals against. Shot volume against is fine as long as you keep position on your check.

Everyone in Columbus thinks of him as one of the best players on the team, so don't expect this to be a cool bargain find. I don't think the Jackets should trade him, they need every bit of veteran stability they can get from like the one or two good veterans who actually play an intelligent game. Most of the Jackets vets struggle with consistency and detail.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're definitely scouting Merzlikins. They were after Binnington earlier in the year, probably just offering a similar kind of package.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm guessing it is because why else is Edmonton's goaltending scout watching Columbus and Merzlikins play like the last 3-4 games.

Can you put up a single legit rumour for Elvis being available?
No you can’t.

Columbus isn’t looking to be bad for years, they aren’t looking to trade the far better goalie for someone they’d have to buy out this summer and go out and sign a new goalie, C’moon now.

Columbus back up has been mentioned, not Elvis

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can you put up a single legit rumour for Elvis being available?
No you can’t.

Columbus isn’t looking to be bad for years, they aren’t looking to trade the far better goalie for someone they’d have to buy out this summer and go out and sign a new goalie, C’moon now.

Columbus back up has been mentioned, not Elvis

Oilers goalie scout just there for multiple games for shits n' giggles I guess.

It's like the guy at a strip club who says he's not there to see boobs, just there for the wings and beer, lol. Sure buddy.

Plenty of players get dealt all the time without their names being in rumors. A bunch of Oilers fans were blindsided by Barrie going out in the Ekholm deal for instance, the Oilers weren't actively shopping Barrie as he was having a good year, but you have to send out players to make a deal.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Last I heard, Jeff actually lives in Columbus. Not sure if he’s based out of there, or if he’s moved up to Edmonton.

He actually coached Mrazek when he worked for the Wings too. So he’s as familiar as it gets with Mrazek. Not sure if he’s ever crossed paths with Lyon along the way, but he’s likely as impressed as everyone else has been with Lyon over the last year. If he was 2-4 inches taller, he’d be a wall the way he’s playing. I think if they move a goalie, Reimer’s the guy. Hell, the way Lyon has played, maybe Husso is the goalie in play.

I actually forgot he went to Edmonton this year, until he was in Detroit recently for that Columbus game.
like your sayin ide think yzerman wants to move reimer because hes serious about making noise in playoffs and husso/lyon tandems his best shot imo

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Unless they are embracing the succ.

I agree. The Oilers would have to pay up.

Campbell isn’t a rental which kills that for Columbus

Fantilli/Johnson/Jiricek aren’t good enough yet to be real impact players at the NHL level but are expected within the next 1-2 years. Columbus won’t want to carry an anchor with them at that time or his buy out

Oilers goalie scout just there for multiple games for shits n' giggles I guess.

It's like the guy at a strip club who says he's not there to see boobs, just there for the wings and beer, lol. Sure buddy.

Plenty of players get dealt all the time without their names being in rumors. A bunch of Oilers fans were blindsided by Barrie going out in the Ekholm deal for instance, the Oilers weren't actively shopping Barrie as he was having a good year, but you have to send out players to make a deal.

No one wants Campbell, absolutely no one.

& Edmonton would not be ready to pay the price they’d have to pay to get Merz for Campbell.

But I guess we can keep going on about fantasy trades?

Makes sense for a team to trade their starting goalie without a single legit option behind him for pure cap damp with term….
If only you were Edmonton fan (sarcasm)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Campbell isn’t a rental which kills that for Columbus

Fantilli/Johnson/Jiricek aren’t good enough yet to be real impact players at the NHL level but are expected within the next 1-2 years. Columbus won’t want to carry an anchor with them at that time or his buy out

No one wants Campbell, absolutely no one.

& Edmonton would not be ready to pay the price they’d have to pay to get Merz for Campbell.

But I guess we can keep going on about fantasy trades?

Makes sense for a team to trade their starting goalie without a single legit option behind him for pure cap damp with term….
If only you were Edmonton fan (sarcasm)

How exactly do you know that?

Multiple sources said they were close to a deal for Binnington (so you want rumors, there you are), now their goalie scout is watching Merlikins play for 3 straight games?

Skinner/Campbell is a non-starter in Edmonton, they've burned all trust they have in the organization, probably specifically with Jeff Jackson who has 0 attachment to either of those guys. The Oilers will not have that tandem if they do get into the playoffs, no way.

Columbus is a rebuilding bottom 5 team. Teams like that trade players for futures all the time, not sure what about that is so hard to believe.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How exactly do you know that?

Multiple sources said they were close to a deal for Binnington (so you want rumors, there you are), now their goalie scout is watching Merlikins play for 3 straight games?

Skinner/Campbell is a non-starter in Edmonton, they've burned all trust they have in the organization, probably specifically with Jeff Jackson. The Oilers will not have that tandem if they do get into the playoffs, no way.

Columbus is a rebuilding bottom 5 team. Teams like that trade players for futures all the time, not sure what about that is so hard to believe.

Last time I checked Merz isn’t Binnington nor Columbus the St Blues

You’ve given absolutely zero reasons why Columbus would consider Merz for Campbell and his one of the worst contracts in the league.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Last time I checked Merz isn’t Binnington nor Columbus the St Blues

Binnington has better numbers than Merzlikins and has led a team to a Cup. His value would be at least as high. If the Oilers were close on a deal for him, that tells me they're willing to offer something significant things for a goalie.

Skinner/Campbell is just a non-starter. You're not winning anything with those two, you might as well just forfeit a playoff spot and tell McDavid and Draisaitl to go on vacation, just as a waste of everyone's time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Binnington has better numbers than Merzlikins and has led a team to a Cup. His value would be at least as high. If the Oilers were close on a deal for him, that tells me they're willing to offer something significant things for a goalie.

Skinner/Campbell is just a non-starter. You're not winning anything with those two.

Binningtons reputation is straight up garbage.

If you want to buy Binnington based on his Cup run good for you good for you, no troubles since then…. oh wait. Only garbage starts and meltdowns time after time

I wish you all the best in your fantasy land.

Nobody owes anything to Edmonton, nobody

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Binningtons reputation is straight up garbage.

If you want to buy Binnington based on his Cup run good for you good for you, no troubles since then…. oh wait. Only garbage starts and meltdowns time after time

I wish you all the best in your fantasy land.

Nobody owes anything to Edmonton, nobody

Who said anyone owes Edmonton anything? lol. Did the Blues owe the Oilers Pronger when they traded him for Brewer? Did the Wild owe the Oilers when they traded Roloson? No they traded those players because they were in certain situations and retooling or rebuilding made sense.

The Oilers are likely going to have to spend a significant amount to get a goalie.

I wouldn't be surprised if that comes straight from the owner. Get a f***ing goalie and shut the f*** up, Holland. No one wants to hear excuses from this guy.

If it costs a little more than you would want it to, so be it.

They're not sending three scouts including the goalie scout to go look at a freaking 3rd or 4th line forward for multiple games. No team does that.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The reality of course being that there is basically nothing other than ~10 games this season that actually separates Campbell and Merzlikins in terms of career numbers. Campbell actually has better career numbers, better numbers over the last couple of years and a cheaper contract.

But kudos to Blue Jacket fans all flocking to prove my point lol
So then the CBJ plays the season out with the goaltender who is producing now, rather than trading him for the struggling goaltender who is relegated to the AHL.

Makes zero sense for CBJ. I mean, you must get that right?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It’s worth noting that Merzlikins wasn’t much better than Campbell last year,(Merz was last in the NHL in goals saved above expected) but there’s no comparison this year. Merz is playing well. Columbus would want and would get a sizeable +.
Its worth noting that Campbell has shat the bed royally this season and Merz is playing like a 1A.

So why in the world would CBJ trade Merz for a proven disaster in Campbell? Wouldn't they just ride out Merz who is playing up to the level they expected when they signed him?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00