Oilers after 47 games - 2014/2015 vs. 2015/2016

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Or how Dallas Eakins was one of the worst coaches in the history of the league.

Oilers after 47 games last year:

12 - 26 - 9, 109 GF, 158 GA, 33 points

Oilers after 47 games this year:

19 - 23 - 5, 115 GF, 136 GA, 43 points

10 point improvement in the standings despite massive injuries, +6 GF, -22 GA compared to the same point last year.

We're getting better, slowly but surely.

How the hell did we allow 22 more GA? That's almost half a goal PER GAME more. Bad goaltending was one thing, but keep in mind we've had periods of spotty goaltending this season too and the results are NOWHERE near as bad.

Answer: Dallas Eakins

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That 28 goal improvement in goal differential is mind blowing.

The biggest difference this year is that McLellan (so far) hasn't let the losing get out of hand.

In years past once it started it wouldn't stop and we'd be BURIED in double digits below .500 before the All-Star game.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
4th last in the standings this year, what were we last year at this time? I guess we are 'visually' better. The Oilers still stink in the grand scheme of things. Are we still last in the league in regulation wins?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
4th last in the standings this year, what were we last year at this time? I guess we are 'visually' better. The Oilers still stink in the grand scheme of things. Are we still last in the league in regulation wins?

We've been so bad for so long that it's prudent to look at absolute improvement in terms of numbers before we can even start to look at relative improvement in comparison to the rest of the league.

The Oilers need to dig themselves out of the ocean first before they can start digging themselves out of the hole at sea level. :laugh:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
TOI ranking on D last year: Schultz,Fayne,Ference,Klefbom,Petry,Nikitin,Marincin,Aulie
TOI ranking on D this year: Sekera, Nurse, Gryba, Schultz, Klefbom, Davidson, Fayne

Coaching played a big role but a GM having the balls to sit out\waive Ference, Fayne, Nikitin, Scrivens for Nurse, Davidson, Nilsson played a huge role when it comes to goal differenctial.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Frankly the whole regulation wins thing is overblown. Who cares? Wins are wins.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
We are measurably better both by stats and by eye, but the fact we're still only holding on to a playoff chase by rags and tatters only serves to accentuate how outright pathetic this team was last year and how deep a hole the Oilers have to climb themselves out of.

Sure would be a luxury to have even a single game this year where the team is fully healthy. I wonder what that would look like.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We might be 4th last but we're a small winning streak away from being in the middle of the league. Last year we were fighting with Buffalo for last with zero hope of catching the 27th overall team.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Well, if you're looking for improvement beyond wins, those things matter. They need to start winning outside of the coin flip skills competition.

Regardless of what peoples' personal opinion on the matter is, it's important to be able to win in OT and SO. 4-1 in SO, 6-4 in OT. 10-5 in extra time is pretty damn good for this team.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

that's the way I'm looking at it also.
4th last in the standings and every team has games in hand.

stink is stink. doesn't matter if it's easier to stand the smell.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Regardless of what peoples' personal opinion on the matter is, it's important to be able to win in OT and SO. 4-1 in SO, 6-4 in OT. 10-5 in extra time is pretty damn good for this team.

Winning in regulation is a more meaningful measure of progress. OT/SO prowess is kinda like having a good power play in so far as it can help you in the standings, but it's not to be counted on to carry the day. I'll take an OT win over a regulation L any day, obviously, but they need to close teams out in 60 minutes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The Oilers are better because of Talbot and Draisaitl primarily. Would say Klef except he's been out for a long time.

But also the NHL normal curve distribution has significantly changed this season. With much less differentiation from mean. Meaning that all teams are grouped around mean much tighter.

This is due to a number of factors, most teams experiencing key injuries, teams realizing again that regular season means zilch and only getting into playoffs matters. This resulting in inconsistent efforts of good teams.

For instance a good team like Anaheim know full well they can take it easy for 30 games and still do enough to nab a playoff spot.

Cap parity finally coming into play is also a reason.

The Oilers are just part of a much larger NHL phenomenon where any team can beat any other team in any game on the schedule.

Really this year theres been the Caps and every body else although the Hawks are chasing now. For the most part its a lot of teams in a cluster.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
-21 goals 5v5, 30th in the NHL. Last season at this point it was -38 and 29th overall. An improvement obviously, but still some way off from being an average team, never mind a really good one.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
-21 goals 5v5, 30th in the NHL. Last season at this point it was -38 and 29th overall. An improvement obviously, but still some way off from being an average team, never mind a really good one.

Ya, but again in the face of injuries. Even if you count in some injuries, Say McDavid misses 15 games instead of 40. Say Klefbom misses half the number of games and same with Eberle.

With that we could easily be more like -10 or even -5. Still not great, but it is something to look forward to going into next year. An upward projectory for once.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Frankly the whole regulation wins thing is overblown. Who cares? Wins are wins.

It isn't overblown when they're happening against the Western Conference.

Even if you win you're only gaining one point instead of two against an opponent you're chasing. It's near impossible to climb up the standings when a win only gives you one extra point over your opponent.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just keep looking up at the rumps of all the crap teams above us in the standings is all I can say. Even the few we are ahead of right now have games in hand. Has there been a minor improvement in points and differential and such? sure. Has the team looked vastly superior overall? Not in my books.

The team is a disappointment and if we are basing this year as good improvement I'll see you guys in the playoffs in another 5 years.

The good news is that we've seen a massive jump in the play of Draisiatil which has been a great surprise. Defense in general has been disappointing, goaltending sporadic, pp is horrawful.

The loss of McDavid was a massive blow and with him this team has another 4 or 5 wins imo. Can this team turn the corner and be good reasonably soon? Yes, but only if the GM makes a few team altering moves this off season.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
The team still sucks, but I feel far more optimistic about the future. Last year we had the worst coach in the league, hopelessly incompetent management, a horrible group of defensemen, forwards who had some talent but not the slightest clue how to play D, and terrible goaltending. This year we "only" have a horrible group of defensemen and a lot of injuries. Improve the D in the off season and they should have a legit chance at playoffs next year.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Just keep looking up at the rumps of all the crap teams above us in the standings is all I can say. Even the few we are ahead of right now have games in hand. Has there been a minor improvement in points and differential and such? sure. Has the team looked vastly superior overall? Not in my books.

The team is a disappointment and if we are basing this year as good improvement I'll see you guys in the playoffs in another 5 years.

The good news is that we've seen a massive jump in the play of Draisiatil which has been a great surprise. Defense in general has been disappointing, goaltending sporadic, pp is horrawful.

I have to ask what your expectations were if you're disappointed by the results.

The loss of McDavid was a massive blow and with him this team has another 4 or 5 wins imo. Can this team turn the corner and be good reasonably soon? Yes, but only if the GM makes a few team altering moves this off season

If you believe that to be true, then we're a lot closer than you think since an extra four or five wins would have the Oilers as a top 10 in team in the league.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

The loss of McDavid was a massive blow and with him this team has another 4 or 5 wins imo. Can this team turn the corner and be good reasonably soon? Yes, but only if the GM makes a few team altering moves this off season.

Of course the loss of McDavid was a massive blow, but I can argue saying the loss of Klefbom has been a much more greater blow to the oilers as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad