Post-Game Talk: Oilers 6 Sens 2 - 4 McPoints

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I'm certainly not saying he's Strome. But we're one year removed from where I won a 100 buck bet, and other bets, that Gagner would put up more pts in Columbus than Nuge would here. Just saying. A view on a player is not just what he's doing now, in the moment, and I don't tend to go "pace" with Nuge either as when he is playing a topline role he's eating more punishment and the likelihood of injury or getting banged up increases.

Maroon put up 52 goals with McD in two seasons of play, punched cows, was a board demon winning pucks, and matches the big heavy aspect that McD can play. McD is actually more consistently dominant when with people that can play a heavy game. Last night on the same shift as the 2nd McD goal even the diminutive Hoffman belted Nuge putting him right on his ass. Against WC clubs that happens much more regularly. It will on Saturday.

Finally, this seasons goal total with Nuge is a little outlier. 3 of the goals are empty net goals and two others are own goals scored by opponents when Nuge attempted to center a puck. Nuge is typically anywhere from 15-24 goals. A McD season those numbers increase, but without the big linemate intangibles.
Have you gone through every Drai goal and make sure they are real points. You've already done it with Jp and RNH.

He would never benefit from a bounce or playing against a bad team right?

Having said that I agree and have concerns RNH can keep it up and would like a larger sample size. I also agree about a bigger winger for the line would help it a lot.

Just this selectively picking apart points makes no sense to me

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Marleau after SJ got a ton of centres (Pavelski too)
Couturier swapped to wing this season
Cogliano in Anaheim.

If Nuge fits with McDavid, why move him?

Hall was traded because the rest of the assets here were low in value and the team needed a defenceman that could survive top matchups.

Ebs was dealt because his value was approaching zero, and he was already strapped to the rail car by the end of the playoffs.

The agurment to trade Nuge is... because a centre can't play wing, or Chai's got to Chai? I'm not buying it.

Nuge has already shown more chemistry with Connor than Hall or Eberle did. Hall's style did not mesh with Connor's and Ebs straight up crapped the bed when gifted the golden opportunity. Nuge has shown that he can run a scoring line as a center and be a solid LW with Connor. Unless we get a great return for him, he stays.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Nuge has already shown more chemistry with Connor than Hall or Eberle did. Hall's style did not mesh with Connor's and Ebs straight up crapped the bed when gifted the golden opportunity. Nuge has shown that he can run a scoring line as a center and be a solid LW with Connor. Unless we get a great return for him, he stays.

Honestly I'm not sold on Nuge as a line driver, he's too inconsistent at it. However he's a near perfect complementary piece to an elite talent.

I love the idea of running McDavid and Nuge on the top line, and letting Draisaitl (a better driver than Nuge) carry the 2nd line with whatever wingers are hot. Even without much change I like the look of the forward core...

RNH-McDavid-Hansen
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Slepyshev-Strome-Aberg
Pakarinen-Khaira-Kassian

Suddenly you got decent speed throughout the lineup, no line that needs to be sheltered, and a nice mix of guys that can play up and down the lineup depending on who's hot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad