Post-Game Talk: Oilers 6 Blues 4 - 4 PP goals!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I was so expecting St.Louis to tie it up. We've all seen it more than we'd like to admit in the last decade. Get lead, fall asleep in the third, lose in OT or give up the GWG with two minutes left. I guess that's progress.

I think the 5 minute PP saved them in this case. All they had to do was not get scored on for that and they were in good shape. I can't recall them ever having a 5 min advantage this year before.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They played well. Ebs is brutal when he runs up against the opposition. Seems like he couldn't fight his way through cobwebs without losing the puck. Don't think he's a Chia player next year.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Didn't get to see the game but was able to pop in and look at the boxscore the odd time. 4 pp goals? What bizarro world is this? Always enjoy beating the blues, does not happen that often but their a team you like to beat.

I'm sure the blues forum is up in arms about getting swept by Alberta. I also agree with the poster earlier in this thread about Blues goaltending. The Blues seem like the Burke and the canucks and their love of Cloutier in goal when they had a great team but never achieved anything because of weak tending at the wrong time.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I thought Reinhart had a strong game against the bigger STL bodies last night.

Agreed.

The kids skating is hurting him still, but he makes some really smart plays. You can tell he thinks the game at a high level, and seems to know where to be a lot of the time, it's just a matter of being fast enough to get there.

I really think if he can work on his skating, he'll be a top 4 Dman on any team in the NHL in the next couple of seasons.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed.

The kids skating is hurting him still, but he makes some really smart plays. You can tell he thinks the game at a high level, and seems to know where to be a lot of the time, it's just a matter of being fast enough to get there.

I really think if he can work on his skating, he'll be a top 4 Dman on any team in the NHL in the next couple of seasons.

He needs to go to the same skating school Drai went too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Davidson and Osterle play different styles of hockey, but one common amongst both is smart hockey. Both are safe and effiecent with the puck. Both can handle the puck well too. Thats what you get when you give someone 2-3 years in AHL

This should be done with Reinhart, he can easily be salvaged and turned into a top 4 D. Musil already is getting some glowing reports in AHL for his smart play. I wouldnt be suprised to see a good TC battle with him in the mix. If Musil passes thru waivers I could see him doing what Osterle is doing this year

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He needs to go to the same skating school Drai went too.

Isn't that the School of David Pelletier, but yes I agree.

Also, and I've been thinking about this for a little while, Adam Clendening isn't a great defenseman, but I suspect if he could skate like Justin Schultz he would be a $4M defenseman.

Gambl0r83*

Sure hope they don't start Broissoit next game, the Oilers need to keep gaining some composure off this.

Talbot was garbage today. People are overlooking the fact that at least 2 of those goals were scrivens-type let ins. We have a 3 goal lead going into the third period and not even half way through it's a one goal game. The team showed so much heart and skill scoring 4 PPG against the top 3 PK in the league, and stanley cup contender. But if we didn't get that 5 minute powerplay, this board is stinkin it up with a 6-5 OT Loss, at most people would blame the defense. And overlook the fact Talbot has been on a stink train lately

I think he's starting to check out, his last couple games have not been great at all. Ever since he got named NHL first star of the week, he's had one, maybe two games of that stature after the fact. He needs to be drilled and playing for his spot at all times, getting all those honors is getting to his head IMO and is not good going into next year

Best case scenario, Brossoit gets a couple starts before seasons end and becomes a wall. Clearly showing his potential and making a name for himself. Talbot will have that in the back of his mind all summer and it should push him to keep climbing. If he goes into the summer break thinking he's the clear cut #1, at least to start the season, it's going to be another **** show to start the 11th season trying to get a playoff spot.

Goaltending is the most important, critical and fragile position for this team, his mindset is everything.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Also, and I've been thinking about this for a little while, Adam Clendening isn't a great defenseman, but I suspect if he could skate like Justin Schultz he would be a $4M defenseman.
Draisaitl basically worked on his physical conditioning in the summer. His skating was never bad it just wasn't very explosive so it took a bit of time to get to his high top speed. He worked on leg strength and it helped immensely

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

http://oilersnation.com/2015/12/22/draisaitl-s-work-in-summer-pays-off-in-november-and-december

He wasn't skating in the first few months of the summer, but he was confident his training was working and he was getting stronger.

"I could tell just from my legs," said Draisaitl as he pointed to his bulging quads. " They were way bigger. My weight kept going up. I was able to run more hill springs, do more one-leg squats with heavier weight and I just kept progressing which is what you want in the summer."

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Parayko is what we need. Would not be surprised if teams offersheet him next year with the situation St. Louis is in.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Parayko is what we need. Would not be surprised if teams offersheet him next year with the situation St. Louis is in.
I think they might do a mini rebuild and move Shattenkirk or Pietrsngelo instead

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

If theres one player id risk offersheeting, its him. 6'5 massive RHD with physical edge, can skate, can score, has good hands

Hes played around 20 games as a second pairing D this year and killed it. Some Blues fans are saying he could replace Petro in the future

Call me crazy but id rather have him over Vat, Trouba, Shattenkirk if we are dealing our 1st this year (4-6 range)

Hes actually pretty close to be a top pairing D

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Fixed that for you.

Take it one step further.

Blue Steelcroft.

7822298_quiz-which-zoolander-character-are-you_f2525ce4_m.gif

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
If theres one player id risk offersheeting, its him. 6'5 massive RHD with physical edge, can skate, can score, has good hands

Hes played around 20 games as a second pairing D this year and killed it. Some Blues fans are saying he could replace Petro in the future

Call me crazy but id rather have him over Vat, Trouba, Shattenkirk if we are dealing our 1st this year (4-6 range)

Hes actually pretty close to be a top pairing D

Wait are you suggesting we trade our first for him?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think they might do a mini rebuild and move Shattenkirk or Pietrsngelo instead

Yes, I'm cheering for another early round flop for St. Louis because of the changes it will force on the Blues. Armstrong may decide to only ax Hitchcock in that situation; however, even then, I think the announcement of the expansion draft rules will force his hand towards moving a defenseman.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes, I'm cheering for another early round flop for St. Louis because of the changes it will force on the Blues. Armstrong may decide to only ax Hitchcock in that situation; however, even then, I think the announcement of the expansion draft rules will force his hand towards moving a defenseman.

Like John Shannon I actually question if it's actually something to worry about. They need to know by June 16 if there is going to be a 17 expansion. All indications are showing that isn't happening.

For STL I suspect they fire Hitch and see what a new coach can do before making drastic changes. Real cash or cap space might be an issue, but expansion probably isn't and if it does GM's will have plenty of time to worry about it.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Like John Shannon I actually question if it's actually something to worry about. They need to know by June 16 if there is going to be a 17 expansion. All indications are showing that isn't happening.

For STL I suspect they fire Hitch and see what a new coach can do before making drastic changes. Real cash or cap space might be an issue, but expansion probably isn't and if it does GM's will have plenty of time to worry about it.

I'm going off of what Friedman reported about Daly saying there will be a definite decision about expanding with 0, 1, or 2 teams before the 2016 NHL Draft.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Wait are you suggesting we trade our first for him?

Sort of.Ive seen people contemplating our first (4-6 range) for Trouba, Vat, Shattenkirk. TBH id rather have Parayko over all those. Higher upside and better than both Vat and Trouba. Cheaper and young that Shattenkirk. I dont think its that off of a trade. If you pick Chrychrun hes 2 years out from being an NHL player, Parayko is here now. Paraykos upside is also unreal

Plus if theres one guy wed get a hometown discount for when resigning him, its Parayko

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
McDavid will dominate the league once he can consistently beat NHL goalies on the breakaway.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McDavid will dominate the league once he can consistently beat NHL goalies on the breakaway.

Yup, he keeps trying two moves (flick over glove if coming in on his off wing) or to move goalie cross ice and then stop and go back to forehand if coming in on left wing (or straight ahead). He needs to learn to rifle it on the goalie to keep them on their toes

However he creates breakaways out of nothing. If its a 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 in the NZ he turns it into a breakaway

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Oilers after 73 in 2014-15: 20-40-13, 53 points (-76 GD)
Oilers after 73 in 2015-16: 28-38-7, 63 points (-39 GD)

Edmonton posted 62 points a year ago, going 24-44-14. From here to the end of the season, Todd Nelson brought them in 4-4-1. If Todd McLellan can do the same—and that is a heavy task with all the injuries to the blue—the club would finish 32-42-8, 72 points. That would be the highest total since Tom Renney’s final year. The Oilers are not tanking, as has been suggested online, as they are 6-4-0 in their last 10 games.

http://lowetide.ca/2016/03/17/where-were-you-when-i-needed-you/

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010

Once the streamlined goalie equipment comes into play next year he won't have to worry about being stopped by the Michelin man. I do worry about our own goalie situation and wonder how good Talbot or most goalies are in the league when they are no longer allowed to cheat with oversized gear. I suspect the athletic goalies will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad