Proposal: Oilers 5th Round pick to Sharks for Ryan Carpenter

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
My proposal would be an Oilers 5th Round pick (2024) to the Sharks for Ryan Carpenter. Sharks would retain 1/3 of salary.
Better to just send a contract back and up the pick to a 4th or maybe a 3rd depending on who we are sending back. Ryan , Janmark , Brown or Gagner

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
He makes league minimum, so no retention, but yeah sure I'd take a 5th for him. Guy is a solid PKer but is probably below replacement level at evens as a 4C...

Reactions: Couch Rooted

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He’d have to be retained 50% to have any value. He’d be like a very last on the list priority addition for the Oilers. So like if we have used all our cap for priority upgrades maybe we squeeze him in a depth piece.

Reactions: Couch Rooted

Couch Rooted

Dec 22, 2019
No thanks, rather just keep Carpenter.
He’d have to be retained 50% to have any value. He’d be like a very last on the list priority addition for the Oilers. So like if we have used all our cap for priority upgrades maybe we squeeze him in a depth piece.
If he can win faceoffs and can kill penalties sure
He has been killing penalties, his faceoff % is a bit low. He seems to be a gritty team player, something that could compliment Oilers 4th line.

Right shot centre, intriguing he’s only -1 on the Sharks.
He has a small NHL sample size, but I think as a rotate in during this long stretch the Oilers will need to add another forward for their durability.

Couch Rooted

Dec 22, 2019
Why would the sharks use a retention slot on a guy making league minimum?
I was looking at ways the Oilers could add a forward without taking away. This appeared to be the only scenario.

He makes league minimum, so no retention, but yeah sure I'd take a 5th for him. Guy is a solid PKer but is probably below replacement level at evens as a 4C...
I’m don’t know the rules on retention. It just appeared to be an option to add a bottom six player while the Oilers are going through a stretch that durability may be an issue.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Better to just send a contract back and up the pick to a 4th or maybe a 3rd depending on who we are sending back. Ryan , Janmark , Brown or Gagner
That makes no sense. Any one of those could be waived and buried at full cap hit. Unless another team is taking Browns bonus there is no point to burying those players.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doesnt Browns bonus stay with edmonton regardless
Probably, but there has been some conflicting reports from the media on it. There was one report that basically said it depends on the fine print in the contract about when the bonus is paid - if it was when he met the conditions it belongs to Edmonton. If it's at the end of the season, it could go to another team. But again, that was one article and I have no idea how legit it was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad