Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Pens 2 in shootout

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
+1 40 points is what I expected, anything beyond that is gravy.

Horcoff arguement, 40 points as a 3rd line sometimes 2nd line guy with possession stats and some hitting good.

40 points by playing top two lines and pp all year while doing nothing else, not good.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
:laugh: I've noticed a couple of teams have done that recently.

EDM's 4th game in 6 nights. Even the Leafs don't expect the Oil to put up much of a fight. They wouldn't be wrong to think that either. :laugh:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I'm still hung up on how bad that anthem was last night. Someone told me she actually is on Sirius radio. Seriously. :D

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm still hung up on how bad that anthem was last night. Someone told me she actually is on Sirius radio. Seriously. :D

I thought my ear was broken after listening to that. What a croaker. Just awful singing voice. Try anything else as a career if you sound like that.

Several people commented on how bad it was. I think even some Pens players were forcing back a grin.

Funny thing is every diva sounds good to themselves. She thought she knocked it out of the ballpark. :amazed:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I thought my ear was broken after listening to that. What a croaker. Just awful singing voice. Try anything else as a career if you sound like that.

Several people commented on how bad it was. I think even some Pens players were forcing back a grin.

Funny thing is every diva sounds good to themselves. She thought she knocked it out of the ballpark. :amazed:

I checked the Pen forum and the ratings were pretty much the same. I think in a studio they can make almost anyone sound like something, but then when they go live...look out for your ears.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Excellent game by Nilsson. Good sign that they didn't fold after losing the lead. Last year they would have fallen to pieces.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It's not a 'bad' play per se but if it's pretty much your "go-to" play...every time...then it is a bad play because every team can read that from a mile away.

Not to mention the button hook stops any flow whatsoever. It's akin to Yakupov with that weird skating style of his as he goes into the o-zone and stickhandling like the puck is a grenade/hot potato.

IMO the Button hook is a great play if you have a solid passer who isn't being given anything by the opposition defense. I agree that he probably does it too much. You gotta do other things too to keep the defense honest.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
How does Eberle win first star with his 1 shot and -1 in 17 minutes?

He was chosen the first star? Who picked, Mr. Magoo?

He didn't do a damn thing again. Nilsson was first star by a mile. Malkin and Hall are good choices for the other two.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Has anyone else noticed that Taylor Hall just throws dozens of muffins on net from the perimeter?

Not a very dangerous player. He generates tons of opportunities but throws the majority of them away. Has anyone EVER seen him take a slap shot? Instead of wristing it from like 50 feet out, if he insists on shooting from those areas, I'd like to at least see him get some velocity on the shots and use a clapper. What is up with that? Does he know how to take a slap shot?

Yep, every game., it must be in his DNA., or connstant brain farts if you will. Perfect example was the 1st goal by Draisaitl. He was just soo bent on shooting, muffins, without taking a sec to realize that Draisaitl was actually open, all alone, from 5 feet out., elects to throw a muffin into the goalies pads innstead of just sliding a short sweet pass to Leon

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
That is the thing I really hate with Nuge. He ALWAYS does the button hook and stops. It's like Hemsky all over again.

The rest of the league see that play so many times that they know its pretty much Nuge's only play.

This. He constantly holds onto the puck for way too long when he's on the half board during a pp. He always holds onto it and it draws 2 defenders towards him but instead of making a quick pass he tries evading them himself and it ends up with the puck being dumped out. Take for example the game against Carolina when they got that pp goal and it was a carbon copy of what happens a lot with nuge 2 players start to close off his space and instead of passing it up he tries to evade by banking the puck on the boards behind him to try and create space and it almost gets picked off. The only reason that didn't get picked off is cause the defender couldn't track it when it got into his feet.

I don't understand the pp or the make up of it at all. In San Jose their pp was always super fast passes instead of holding onto the puck until the defender gives the passer a little room to make a perimeter pass. I remember watching San Jose and scared ****less of their pp always because they were so fast with their passes that they would always be able to get cross ice passes before they were so fast moving the puck around and its like they aren't trying that tactic at all with this Oilers team. It's either that or the players just aren't buying into that strategy.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Yep, every game., it must be in his DNA., or connstant brain farts if you will. Perfect example was the 1st goal by Draisaitl. He was just soo bent on shooting, muffins, without taking a sec to realize that Draisaitl was actually open, all alone, from 5 feet out., elects to throw a muffin into the goalies pads innstead of just sliding a short sweet pass to Leon

There's no guarantee a pass makes it through the defender and a shot at that point gives you a chance at five hole and the rebound doubles as pass therefor you get two scoring chances for the price of one.

That close to the net, on that play, everything is a reaction at the point. what's the guy to do, he's one of the best in the NHL. Really needs to throw in a slap shot every once in a while when on partial breaks at an angle though, or pick a corner, right into the chest everytime is getting old.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
IMO the Button hook is a great play if you have a solid passer who isn't being given anything by the opposition defense. I agree that he probably does it too much. You gotta do other things too to keep the defense honest.

Yep. Like I mentioned, a lot of teams have the read on him now, just like when we had Hemsky. We're just lucky [somewhat] that we have other weapons that are better than Nuge

This. He constantly holds onto the puck for way too long when he's on the half board during a pp. He always holds onto it and it draws 2 defenders towards him but instead of making a quick pass he tries evading them himself and it ends up with the puck being dumped out. Take for example the game against Carolina when they got that pp goal and it was a carbon copy of what happens a lot with nuge 2 players start to close off his space and instead of passing it up he tries to evade by banking the puck on the boards behind him to try and create space and it almost gets picked off. The only reason that didn't get picked off is cause the defender couldn't track it when it got into his feet.

I don't understand the pp or the make up of it at all. In San Jose their pp was always super fast passes instead of holding onto the puck until the defender gives the passer a little room to make a perimeter pass. I remember watching San Jose and scared ****less of their pp always because they were so fast with their passes that they would always be able to get cross ice passes before they were so fast moving the puck around and its like they aren't trying that tactic at all with this Oilers team. It's either that or the players just aren't buying into that strategy.

Nuge still thinks like Junior hockey. Game pacing is poor. Having crap development for 2 years doesn't help either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad