Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2, Islanders 1 (SO)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Even though I didnt like Talbot on the 1st GA, I thought that was his best game since Nov.

We didnt give the Islanders much, but a bit, and Talbot was able to make a save or 2 last night for the first time in forever.
He made a nice save on eberle in OT, he had a solid game

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So much Negativity for a solid win.

Oilers played better from top to bottom. Beat a desperate team all but guaranteed to miss the playoffs now. A team built and coached purely on offensive talent only.

Islanders are what many here seem to want the Oilers to be. They have Tavares and Eberle and Barzel and still are going to most likely miss the playoffs as well.

A good win.

A solid win? They were garbage all game (both teams were), nobody outside of McDavid and Khaira put in any effort. Team has phoned it in for the season and if they are going to put in this kind of effort, they might as well just lose all the games.
I want to see the team win if it's building towards something. Wins like last night serve no purpose outside of proving what we all already know that McDavid is pretty good at hockey and ensuring that they draft a lower rated prospect.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A solid win? They were garbage all game (both teams were), nobody outside of McDavid and Khaira put in any effort. Team has phoned it in for the season and if they are going to put in this kind of effort, they might as well just lose all the games.
I want to see the team win if it's building towards something. Wins like last night serve no purpose outside of proving what we all already know that McDavid is pretty good at hockey and ensuring that they draft a lower rated prospect.
This sounds like a post I would make. ;)

I actually felt kinda bad for the Islanders goalie. He nearly shut us out until he got beaten by a fluke.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This sounds like a post I would make. ;)

I actually felt kinda bad for the Islanders goalie. He nearly shut us out until he got beaten by a fluke.

Oh no, I came off sounding that bad? :D

But seriously, how can anybody say that was a good win? That game was absolutely dreadful, it was like a morgue on ice. I'd rather them lose if it's going to be such a poorly played game. Games like the one against Nashville I'd like to them to win, that was a fun game in which they played hard and well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh no, I came off sounding that bad? :D

But seriously, how can anybody say that was a good win? That game was absolutely dreadful, it was like a morgue on ice. I'd rather them lose if it's going to be such a poorly played game. Games like the one against Nashville I'd like to them to win, that was a fun game in which they played hard and well.

heh. I think you don't like defensive stalemates. What I was more impressed with was the Oilers attention to gap control, limiting open ice, puck support and levels of defense, and not losing patience with the plan. Its somewhat impressive that at no point in the game did the players lose the script and start cheating for offense and trading chances. They kept the game tight the whole game. They even played with some caution in the 3 on 3.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
heh. I think you don't like defensive stalemates. What I was more impressed with was the Oilers attention to gap control, limiting open ice, puck support and levels of defense, and not losing patience with the plan. Its somewhat impressive that at no point in the game did the players lose the script and start cheating for offense and trading chances. They kept the game tight the whole game. They even played with some caution in the 3 on 3.

Its amazing what this team can do when they can stick to their game plan instead of chasing the game from behind, ex cheating for offense.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

What I saw was 2 teams putting in the least amount of effort possible just waiting for the game and season to end. There were minimal offensive chances because neither team made any sort of push, not because of solid defense. It was just awful hockey, I felt bad for the fans who attended.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The have incredibly better offense, have a good amount of picks and prospects to fix the defense. Also not in cap hell so they can fix their defense that way

Their offense has cooled off significantly since their hugely unsustainable start.

Their 2.55 GF/60 is 18th at even strength since Christmas. The Oilers are 21st with 2.51.

Their PP GF/60 is 25th at 6.18. Fun fact: That's basically double the Oilers who are in 31st with 3.6 haha.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What I saw was 2 teams putting in the least amount of effort possible just waiting for the game and season to end. There were minimal offensive chances because neither team made any sort of push, not because of solid defense. It was just awful hockey, I felt bad for the fans who attended.

I saw that in the prior toilet bowl game that made me want to vomit the few minutes I was watching it. This one was at least remotely compelling with the Eberle story line.

Its odd, sorry, to suggest a Doug Weight coached team fighting for their last chance at a playoff spot wasn't giving anything. If anything this game had pretty incredible passion and the teams were hating each other only about 5mins in. Did you miss the dirty play, cheap shots, retaliation or that it was a very physical game. The teams looked pissed at each other. Khaira flattening Clutterbuck was on of the most cathartic moments of the season. I want to cue that one up everytime I feel frustrated at something..;)

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Everytime Nuge and McDavid are put together.... they look good and dangerous. They need to experiment more with this.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Was at the game yesterday, few observations.

- Overall an absolute snooze fest until the tying goal and OT
- Where this team would be for creating true offense without McDavid is horrific to consider
- The PP is completely stationary, no urgency or intent. The PK defenders don't even need active sticks against it
- We still retreat and defer to slowing the play down rather than transition quickly up the ice, and this is not a style that vibes with McDavid's skill set
- Our board play for the wingers coming out of our zone is weak as hell, led by Lucic, with JP, Aberg and Caggiula all struggling too
- Lucic is struggling so hard and is praying for the offseason. I would give him a pass for being sick, but this level of play is now 30+ games old
- Caggiula, while he has decent sandpaper, is very slow, especially live. I was shocked how terrible his speed and puckhandling was
- Khaira is a beauty
- Strome I was still relatively unimpressed with despite a few nice passes. Okay on the rush, but cannot win a race or position well in 50/50 puck battles ever
- Larsson, despite looking tired at times, is showing a more flashes of last season version since his first return to the team
- Nurse has a bomb that he needs to learn to unload more frequently. Bear has a tremendous outlet pass and great offensive instincts
- Oh and Nuge played Barzal very well

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Everytime Nuge and McDavid are put together.... they look good and dangerous. They need to experiment more with this.

I think so, too. Nuge is pretty fast, and should be able to keep up with McDavid a hell of a lot better than Lucic on the LW. I also think if Nuge was on the wing he'd use his shot more, and he has a very good one. Drai is a better playmaker and passer than Nuge is, and just seems like the better and more natural fit for the 2nd line C position. Maybe two big bodies like Lucic and Drai together on a line could create some havoc. Now we just need some RWers. I'm hopeful Yamamoto can step in next season and put up near 2nd line numbers or so, but still need another. Maybe Benson will surprise, but that's a long shot, IMO. Although he's a natural LWer I believe (but his skill would still help if he's ready).

Lines I'd like to see next season:
Nuge - McDavid - UFA/trade
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto
Puljujarvi - Strome - Aberg
Caggiula - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Sekera - Dahlin ;)

Probably still need more skill, but I'm just keeping my expectations low -- and for good reason given our last off season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think so, too. Nuge is pretty fast, and should be able to keep up with McDavid a hell of a lot better than Lucic on the LW. I also think if Nuge was on the wing he'd use his shot more, and he has a very good one. Drai is a better playmaker and passer than Nuge is, and just seems like the better and more natural fit for the 2nd line C position. Maybe two big bodies like Lucic and Drai together on a line could create some havoc. Now we just need some RWers. I'm hopeful Yamamoto can step in next season and put up near 2nd line numbers or so, but still need another. Maybe Benson will surprise, but that's a long shot, IMO. Although he's a natural LWer I believe (but his skill would still help if he's ready).

Lines I'd like to see next season:
Nuge - McDavid - UFA/trade
Lucic - Drai - Yamamoto
Puljujarvi - Strome - Aberg
Caggiula - Khaira - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bear
Sekera - Dahlin ;)

Probably still need more skill, but I'm just keeping my expectations low -- and for good reason given our last off season.

One thing about Nuge is that the guy has a pretty amazing gas tank, and really good cardio. He rarely slows down as the game goes on, he can skate miles. Likewise McDavids, cardio is incredible. Can play 27 mins and hes still wheeling out there.

I dont know if Nuge would ever be as effective with McDavid as Draisatitl is (hard to know because we have never seen it), but he should be able to keep up pretty well with McDavid. Draisaitl gasses out pretty easily. But Draisaitl does things no other player on this team can. He has a better ability to drive a line than RNH does, so I think it makes sense to want to put the guy as the 2C.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One thing about Nuge is that the guy has a pretty amazing gas tank, and really good cardio. He rarely slows down as the game goes on, he can skate miles. Likewise McDavids, cardio is incredible. Can play 27 mins and hes still wheeling out there.

I dont know if Nuge would ever be as effective with McDavid as Draisatitl is (hard to know because we have never seen it), but he should be able to keep up pretty well with McDavid. Draisaitl gasses out pretty easily. But Draisaitl does things no other player on this team can. He has a better ability to drive a line than RNH does, so I think it makes sense to want to put the guy as the 2C.

McDavid's endurance might be top 5 in NHL history. He is unbelievable, he might have the highest endurance of any team athlete on the planet, to be able to play 4/5 minutes of a 3-on-3 OT, using big speed burts multiple times is bordering on superhuman.

Even someone like LeBron James (if he could skate), I bet if you asked him to do that he would just be dying and gassed for air. Crosby can't do that either.

Reactions: nightfighter

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Nurse is no slouch with the cardio, too. Bet the guy could play 25-28 minutes a game no problem. Both he and McDavid are freaks in that regard. Incredible endurance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad