Post-Game Talk: Oilers 2 Canucks 1 (Brock Boeser)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What bugs me the most is the first success we finally have (bubble playoffs) and Benning immediately trades away all the players that made it happen. (Tanev, ect) and completely ruins the vibe of the team.

In fairness - he didn’t trade them.

…he simply ran out of time to re-sign them. Which is worse.

At any rate, it’s ancient history. If this skid keeps up, someone’s head is going to roll; a good start was and is absolutely critical to the Canucks’ hopes of making the playoffs this year. Starting off looking this impotent isn’t good.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Petey needs to pick things up. Our highest paid forward at least have to deliver.

Sure. But things have a funny way of balancing out. He can pick it up and Garland will go cold or Demko will. The exact problem with the roster is they have no wiggle room for success when personal performances dip. That’s why they shouldn’t have been moving picks etc.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It is frustrating. They are playing defensively not good defense. Sometimes pinching is the right play and not doing it costs you. Sometimes forechecking is better than skating back into position. The Canucks are choosing the conservative mistakes like a football team playing prevent defense. Issue is we do not have a lead and prevent defense is just conservative play that does not stop the other team. Team should not have these issues at this point. It is obvious they do not know how to win.

Reactions: Indiana

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Thing is they could likely move a body or two , get good returns, balance the lineup and be better now and for the future. But only if someone other than Benning is making the deals. If it’s Benning he’ll be moving out picks and guys like Hoglander.

Agreed.

This is going to be controversial but if the season goes to sh**, they definitely have to look at trading Boeser and seeing what they can get for him. His contract is up and at the current market, he's looking at a $8M+ contract, which would screw up the cap structure on this team.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It is frustrating. They are playing defensively not good defense. Sometimes pinching is the right play and not doing it costs you. Sometimes forechecking is better than skating back into position. The Canucks are choosing the conservative mistakes like a football team playing prevent defense. Issue is we do not have a lead and prevent defense is just conservative play that does not stop the other team. Team should not have these issues at this point. It is obvious they do not know how to win.

Yes. And then the other things remain an issue. Coverage in the zone. Losing races and losing battles. These are things that don’t really change in any system. It goes beyond system and to actual ability and smarts.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
In fairness - he didn’t trade them.

…he simply ran out of time to re-sign them. Which is worse.

At any rate, it’s ancient history. If this skid keeps up, someone’s head is going to roll; a good start was and is absolutely critical to the Canucks’ hopes of making the playoffs this year. Starting off looking this impotent isn’t good.
Ancient history - 13 months ago lol

But Gillis - 8-13 years ago

What a time to be a fan.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Agreed.

This is going to be controversial but if the season goes to sh**, they definitely have to look at trading Boeser and seeing what they can get for him. His contract is up and at the current market, he's looking at a $8M+ contract, which would screw up the cap structure on this team.
They should trade Miller and re-sign Boeser. Luongos hit will be gone. Miller will decline fast in 2-3 years, Boeser should be good for 6+ years. Unless its a trade you cant say no to of course

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
The actual players on the blueline are playing better in spite of the team playing like shit tbf. Hughes has looked great and both OEL and Myers have been positives somehow

I know it's early, but seeing Quinn Hughes lead the Canucks blueline in +/- is encouraging (and 2nd on the team behind Garland), especially considering how his defensive responsibilities are increasing. He matched up against McDavid/Draisaitl last night and ended the game +1. That's honestly quite impressive.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
They should trade Miller and re-sign Boeser. Luongos hit will be gone. Miller will decline fast in 2-3 years, Boeser should be good for 6+ years. Unless its a trade you cant say no to of course

Miller is not a player I would keep. Pouts, stands still most of the time.

The problem I have is that Boeser is not really a play driver and when he's not scoring, he's not doing much. Would you be comfortable giving Brock a $8M+ contract for 8 years?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

The problem I have is that Boeser is not really a play driver and when he's not scoring, he's not doing much. Would you be comfortable giving Brock a $8M+ contract for 8 years?
Agreed. Miller needs to go because he doesn’t seem to want to be here and will surely be gone when his contract is up.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver

Most frustrating thing about the post-game was Sat constantly saying they're not playing conservative. When it's clear as day their forecheck is very conservative because they fear odd man rushes to death.

Even though it's clear this team should be aggressive to succeed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ancient history - 13 months ago lol

But Gillis - 8-13 years ago

What a time to be a fan.

I don’t believe I’ve ever said “but Gillis”, so please don’t put that on me.

And my ancient history remark was more in relation to those roster moves in their relation to last night’s game and our team’s current offensive ineptitude.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
All the off season talk about brad Shaw has certainly quieted down
Even is Shaw was any hood, which i doubt he is, he can’t succeed in the position he is in. He is officially responsible for nothing. green is still head coach and Baumer runs the d

mow another no name hire in King is taking up space

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Agreed. Miller needs to go because he doesn’t seem to want to be here and will surely be gone when his contract is up.
I do think many posters now can see a future without using their hearts.
Selling to the fans is about selling them "Huggy Bear" or "The Flow".

Boeser HAS to go because his next contract sets the bar for Horvat and Miller. Benning has already thrown enough gas on the fire by signing Garland, an outsider, for just about the same money as Horvat gets now.

Miller never wanted to come here, he signed a home town discount to stay in Tampa and coming here, as far away a possible, from his family is a destination of choice let alone the tax and cost of living hits that reduce his paycheck.

The team is at the same spot as the past years, it is early yet but it looks like Benning underestimated LA, ANA and SJ. They have passed the Canuck's 7 year rebuild with loads of draft picks yet to come. The Nucks may need another world wide event to make the playoffs like last time.

Boeser and Miller, maybe even Horvat just because he has suffered here for so long, have to go. The new draft rules would make Bedard a real possibility in 2023.
It will be hard to compete with Chicago and Arizona for Wright.

By moving these guys could end up with a Colorado type rebuild, or even an Ottawa type. Lots of high draft picks, just keep Benning away from the draft floor his first round picks are a crap shoot as he terms it.

Capspace, draft picks and a sense of direction, a PLAN this will encourage fan confidence.

Reactions: Foundational Player

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Most frustrating thing about the post-game was Sat constantly saying they're not playing conservative. When it's clear as day their forecheck is very conservative because they fear odd man rushes to death.

Even though it's clear this team should be aggressive to succeed.
Adding more confusion to our lack of player chemistry they bring in Shaw who clearly is trying to add a neutral zone structure that Green hasn't had as part of his coaching/teachings since he's been here. Now instead of being fully aggressive they are half aggressive and half hanging back and not providing the kind of support they need to the first in forwards. Instead of dialing it in in the pre season they spent it auditioning career AHLers and Chiasson in the top9.

You could see Green and Shaw having a discussion that looked a bit heated just last game over coverage. They clearly are playing conservative and are confused.

It's strange you will see a winger go in hard trying to force a turnover without the support necessary to seal it off which is resulting in a lot of unnecessary and useless chasing of the play. The PK and PP are both still a mess. Standing still on the PK even against 2nd units and a static PP where they play on the top of the umbrella and rarely rotate down low or have a good enough shooter in Boeser that they have to respect his presence. Teams pretty much ignore Chiasson and stuff Horvat on the bumper and everything is from the outside unless Chiasson makes a play which is painful to watch. Without Hughes and his amazing lateral movement it would be laughable. They have no ability to create seams with the current duo down low. At minimum there needs tobe a scripted rotation

We still suck at deflections and net presence. The 2 best options i've seen are Miller and Hoglander (and Podkolzin in the KHL and Junior and needs some time to transition) and they don't even use them there instead it's the same Miller behind the back pass without anyone down low that can create gaps by being good at screen and deflections (thus forcing a lot of attention) or being able to rotate out and make in tight down low plays. Something the aforementioned have been pretty good at. Even Boeser over Chiasson is a no brainer improvement.

The coaching at this point has done more to harm this team than help it. Wasted the pre season and still after 8 games the forwards are confused and being forced into play styles that doesn't fit what has typically been successful for them.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Lotto line plus Hogs has scored 4 goals so far this season..If you had told me before the season that we would have had trouble scoring, I would have been surprised.

I thought that the Canucks did match the intensity of the Oilers in the 2nd, and they did elevate their play to another gear (the Oilers were fairly dominating in the 1st)..As I said pre game, giving the Oilers PP"s would be their undoing...Oilers are going to win the Pacific..imo.

The Canucks seem to be following a pattern of letting the opposition take the initiative at the beginning of games..then having to chase the game..They haven't set the pace.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

I believe Boeser has more untapped potential that better coaches could unleash. Also, the RFA QOs have changed recently and wouldnt be 8M+ for him anymore? Someone more in the know than me halp.

Reactions: Indiana and Draino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad