Oiler Fans and Their Fascination on Vladimir Sobotka

• Thread starter Comic Book Guy*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comic Book Guy*

Is it just me, or does every 3rd trade proposal include Vladimir Sobotka?

Why?

1. THE OILERS DO NOT NEED ANY MORE SMALL PLAYERS

It's been repeated time and again that the Oilers do not need any more small players. It's perplexing that Oiler fans continue to chase Sobotka as if he was some kind of good match up against Getzlaf, Thornton or Crosby. Here are his vitals:

Vladimir Sobotka
Height 5'9.5
Weight: 190lbs

This guy is just about as tall as Roy or Arcobello. Take that Reaves!

2. THE OILERS NEED SECONDARY SCORING

And how exactly will they get secondary scoring from Sobotka? By praying for offense?

2007: 1G 6A 7 PTS 0.146 PPG
2008: 1G 4A 5 PTS 0.200 PPG
2009: 4G 6A 10 PTS 0.164 PPG
2010: 7G 22A 29 PTS 0.475 PPG
2011:5G 15A 20PTS 0.274
2012: 8G 11A 19PTS 0.396 PPG
2013: 9G 24A 33PTS 0.54 PPG

CAREER: 35G 88A 123 PTS 0.322 PPG

Why in the world are we trading assets to St.Louis for a guy that has been outscored by Rob Klinhammer, Marc Arcobello and Anton Lander?

He's small, scores once every 3 games, and provides almost no offense.

Am I missing something?

Comic Book Guy*

It's been a discussion for the past 5 seasons now. I want to know specifically why you all want that midget in Edmonton.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Go ask Blues fans what they think of Sobotka.

When they needed a big draw, they turned to Sobotka.

When they needed a player to inject some energy into the lineup and still be offensively smart enough to play with skill players (like he did when he ran with Tarasenko and Oshie during the playoffs) they turned to Sobotka.

When they needed someone who would play physical and smother the other teams better lines, they turned to Sobotka.

Hitchcock said during the season that he played that he may have had the best season out of anyone on the team.

A stellar all round player that can chip in on offense, play all over the lineup, and brings the type of play that is killer in the playoffs.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Have you ever watched Sobotka? The guy is VERY strong, he's a puck hound who seems to improve every year. He's used as a checker but still posts very reasonable offense while pinning other teams skill lines in the defensive zone. Elite 3rd line center/utility forward, that's an impact player and that's why people want to trade for him. He's pretty much what we all hope Lander becomes. Also i don't know where you got 5'9.5" but pretty much everywhere says 5'10".

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg

When they needed a player to inject some energy into the lineup and still be offensively smart enough to play with skill players (like he did when he ran with Tarasenko and Oshie during the playoffs) they turned to Sobotka.

When they needed someone who would play physical and smother the other teams better lines, they turned to Sobotka.

Hitchcock said during the season that he played that he may have had the best season out of anyone on the team.

A stellar all round player that can chip in on offense, play all over the lineup, and brings the type of play that is killer in the playoffs.

Exactly. He's exactly the type of player we need, regardless of size.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He's a bull dig. He'd probably be the toughest and best boards player on our team

We should also target shaw and soderberg

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He hits like a truck. A smaller truck maybe but a truck none the less.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He's a bull dig. He'd probably be the toughest and best boards player on our team

We should also target shaw and soderberg

Shaw is the perfect example of a guy I just hate on another team but would love to have on our team.

Comic Book Guy*

I refuse to believe that you believe any of this. That guy is offensively limited and has no business taking a spot from Pitlick, nevemind Lander, Purcell, etc.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He was easily the pound-for-pound strongest player in the league.

Looking at his height/weight is pretty pointless.

Add his above average offense for a #3C and possibly being the best faceoff man in the league, it's pretty easy to see why he's an attractive player.

Comic Book Guy*

Sobokta is one of the best 3rd line centers in hockey. He's young and would be an excellent fit for the Oilers.
Based on what exactly? I provided evidence to prove otherwise in the OP. What evidence do you have to support this? Sobotka is not elite in any area of hockey. I don't see what you guys are seeing.

Comic Book Guy*

He was easily the pound-for-pound strongest player in the league.

Looking at his height/weight is pretty pointless.
Do you have video proof of this? Because I watched a Blues-Oilers game live and I do not agree with this hyperbole.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I refuse to believe that you believe any of this. That guy is offensively limited and has no business taking a spot from Pitlick, nevemind Lander, Purcell, etc.

You can refuse to believe me, but you asked for an answer and I gave you one. You can go ask Blues fans and I suspect you will get a similar answer.

Your opinion is obviously different and that's fine, but this is precisely how I view Sobotka, and who many others view him as.

Comic Book Guy*

You can refuse to believe me, but you asked for an answer and I gave you one. You can go ask Blues fans and I suspect you will get a similar answer.

Your opinion is obviously different and that's fine, but this is precisely how I view Sobotka, and who many others view him as.
I'm not attacking you guys. I just want you all to get a grip on reality here.

Just provide me with proof of your statements. It's completely unfounded to characterize this guy as some kind of neo-Michael Peca/ Sami Pahlsson.

It's just not true. There is absolutely no evidence to show that any of these false characterizations are true.

It's not that I refuse to believe you guys. You just dont have any facts. I had facts in the OP. Where are yours?

If I had a list of 100 players I want on the Oilers, Sobotka would be #200. He is easily one of the worst choices to add to the Oilers. I personally find no difference between Sobotka and Lennart Petrelll (who also hit hard and was offensively challenged). The facts how there is ZERO difference between those two players.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg

HAHAHA what?? So first you say that we need secondary scoring and then mention that Pitlick deserves to be on this team ahead of Sobotka? Sobotka produced at over a ppg clip during both of his short stints in the AHL. Sobotka is just the waaaay better hockey player

ElFossum

Nov 19, 2013
Saskatoon SK
I don't think you have ever seen Sobtoka play then, have you toppep... Take a gander at some blues film and you'll see the intrigue myself and other fans have with Vlad.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What evidence was provided in the original post that suggests he isn't a good 3rd liner? His points?

Guy was excellent at the draw, played in all situations and had some of the harder zone starts on the team.

Last edited:

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Based on what exactly? I provided evidence to prove otherwise in the OP. What evidence do you have to support this? Sobotka is not elite in any area of hockey. I don't see what you guys are seeing.

You provided stats and seem to have not watched the player he is used to shutdown other teams best quite a bit which does not help when you mandate is try and shutdown a line you usually aren't offensively oriented. Look at most guys that go to the blues the whole team they play a defensive slanted system to smother other teams and play them physical. This means not many people put up huge amounts of points they just have phenomenal depth that spreads the scoring over a bunch of players so they get a bunch of 40-60 point guys but no real top end scorers.

This year being an exception as they had Tarasenko truly break out and Jaden Schwartz play very well they have generally not had many guys 60+ points.

I don't know why we need a extremely high scoring guy he fills a role as a great PK and even strength guy who hits like a truck he may be small but he is gritty with a good shot. It is similar to how Cal Clutterbuck is 5'11 and one of the better hitters in the league size isn't everything.

Edit: Main point being the things he brings don't necessarily show up on the stat sheet but he does bring a lot and would be a great fit.

Comic Book Guy*

HAHAHA what?? So first you say that we need secondary scoring and then mention that Pitlick deserves to be on this team ahead of Sobotka? Sobotka produced at over a ppg clip during both of his short stints in the AHL. Sobotka is just the waaaay better hockey player
Travis Morin has been scoring at over a PPG clip in the AHL for some time now. Same with Alexandre Giroux.

What's your point? The AHL is not the NHL. In the NHL, he spent 4-5 seasons scoring at a 0.15 PPG clip. That's Lennart Petrell guys!

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'm not attacking you guys. I just want you all to get a grip on reality here.

Just provide me with proof of your statements. It's completely unfounded to characterize this guy as some kind of neo-Michael Peca/ Sami Pahlsson.

It's just not true. There is absolutely no evidence to show that any of these false characterizations are true.

It's not that I refuse to believe you guys. You just dont have any facts. I had facts in the OP. Where are yours?

Hate to be that guy, but it comes from watching him play. I guess you have a different opinion that the vast majority of people who watch Sobotka play. There is nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't even make you wrong. However, it does put you in the minority and most people will not agree with you.

His coach raved about him, fans of his team raved about him, people outside of the market raved about. You could be one of the few who is ACTUALLY right about him, but a betting man would likely say you're not.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain the advanced stats liked him as well, but I'm not sure how you feel about such things.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's a versatile 3rd line center who can play up in the lineup and play with skill players should you need it. He's strong defensively. He's elite on faceoffs. He's physical. He kills penalties. And he'd potentially be cheap to acquire in terms of assets. And he's not a guy at the end of his career so he could be a part of the organization 4+ years if the fit was good.

Those are the reasons why people think he'd be a good fit in Edmonton.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

He is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than Pitlick and >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than Purcell. it's not even close.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Basically the way to look at Sobokta is this, especially if you haven't seen him play of forgot about him because he played 1 YEAR in the KHL.

One of the best defensive teams in the NHL, with an excellent defensive coach, treated him as their #1 two-way and big defensive moment player at center. He also chipped in some nice offense as well.

If you can't see what that means as a player, then I guess you can be mad he's not 6'4"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad