Oil Kings over under is at 5

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
So how many 94's and 95's does Edmonton lose to the NHL next season?

Mitch Moroz - under contract for his 20 year old season - Oilers need to elevate gritty players like this, I say he's gone.

Henrik Samuelsson - also under contract at 20 years old and proved he is ready to be elevated - also gone

Curtis Lazar - reports say he almost made the Senators at 18 so I think he gets it done this time around - gone

Edgars Kulda - not drafted, should be sticking around to play as an overager but he would fill two spots if he does... with so many leaving they probably let it happen.

Ashton Sautner - not drafted - probably a lock to fill one of the overage spots

Griffin Reinhart - another drafted 20 year old under contract, and to a team that needs him to elevate into their D core - GONE

Blake Orban - not drafted - should be one of the overagers

Tristan Jarry - drafted but there should be no reason why they attempt to elevate him at 19 to be Fleury's backup - not when they can see him play as the starter in dub one more year with less in front of him and see how he handles it.

Tyler Santos - Keep a 20 year old back up over Kulda? Unless they choose to move Kulda because of the import O/A double occupancy then Santos is getting moved and/or released.

So there you have it. A great team had a great year, and a franchise has done well. Time for a step back I'm thinking with what looks like a serious exodus of significant core players in their immediate future.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Lazar will be back... but team is looking a little weak... possible Lazar trade for a HUGE return?... Portland should be pretty damn good again with a Petan/Bjorkstrand duo.... hmmmm do they dare send Lazar to their arch nemesis' Winterhawks for a huge young return???

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Hmmm. Never thought about a Lazar trade. Don't think Portland would do it though. Suffered a lot of penalties from the league and I don't think they have the assets to give Edmonton what they would ask for. Really good food for thought though. Perhaps Vancouver or Victoria trade for him? Maybe Brandon?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Well Im just thinking of a team that will be a serious contender next season. It's weird thinking it's not Portland/Edmonton again haha. Portland will be yes but unfortunately not Edmonton.. So thats why I feel its a no brainer trading Lazar.... I think Winterhawks have alot of assets to give up... Alot of fans dont realize for how good and powerful the Hawks were last season, that they still rolled with 3 16 year olds and 4 17 year olds on a regular basis each game and they played great. Sure they have nothin much for picks, but they can offer up alot of youth for a Lazar push... You know they will gear up once more forsure for a push.. They gotta take advantage of having Petan/Bjorkstrand for another year.. They will put up astronomical points next year

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
I hear what you're saying with Portland making a push, and I didn't realize they rolled with so much youth on the roster. My point was simply that with no picks they won't be able to replace assets if they give up too many for a one and done player, regardless of how much he may help you. The idea is to remain in contention year after year. Not trade a season for a championship. Especially after that organization has successfully brought back the fan base.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
should be:

Kulda-Lazar-Bertolucci
Eller-Pollock-(Robertson/Bauer/Trade)
(Ralph/Robertson/Bauer)-Koch-(Baddock/Ralph)
(Magnes/Brown)-(Walter/Trade)-(Brown/Magnes)

This of course is without any guys coming out of camp, which is very unlikely. Rotundo will likely earn a spot.

Sautner-Mayo
Mills-Irving
Carrol-Trade/Prospect

Jarry
Dea

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
That lineup is not frightening. They will be in the mix for a playoff spot, but the Oil King domination has been silenced for the time being. If the Coyotes sign Kulda then he is an overage import under contract. If Lazar makes the Senators then Laxdal is your MVP, and that's only if he doesn't replace Steve Smith on the bench next to Eakins.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Good for him. He went to a good organization. Smart and classy guy.

Maybe you should worry about your own team?

Their showing in the playoffs was nothing short of embarrassing.

...but if I did that then this post wouldn't exist and there would be even less people talking about the WHL on this site... did you want to talk about the Hitmen? I don't mind discussing their playoff exit, but it might be better served in new thread though. You could also just engage this conversation. Up to you I guess...

Oct 15, 2008
...but if I did that then this post wouldn't exist and there would be even less people talking about the WHL on this site... did you want to talk about the Hitmen? I don't mind discussing their playoff exit, but it might be better served in new thread though. You could also just engage this conversation. Up to you I guess...

Engage a Hitmen fan who starts a thread to bash the Oil Kings? Now why would I want to do that?

Im all for more WHL discussion but this doesnt really interest me much. None of us really have any idea how the Oil Kings are going to do next season. I thought they would be a fringe playoff team last year. Shows what I know.

Trading Lazar to the Winterhawks?

Yeah right. Because the Winterhawks are loaded with high draft picks- oh wait..........

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Jr Hockey is cyclical. Teams build up and develop players for a 2 or 3 year run at the championship. The Oil Kings and for that matter the Winterhawks cycle is ending and now they must rebuild for the next run thats how it works for everybody.

Conversely, the Wheat Kings and Hitman are hitting the peak of their cycle and should take over as the top teams in the WHL for the next couple of years.

Its not really complicated.

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
On a side note, I am relatively new to being a junior hockey fan. I have only been a season ticket holder for two years and missed out on the 2010 Hitmen team that went all the way. So this is my first time experiencing the cycle of junior hockey.

I also don't think I am "bashing" the Oil Kings in this thread. I think you may just be being a little defensive, and that's fine, I can see how the thread would come across that way. In all honesty I am just reacting to what the cycle of junior hockey is doing to teams... not just the Oil Kings... but they are a good example of the cycle changing the team dramatically.

I have a lot of respect for the Oil Kings, and even more for Laxdal. I listened to an interview with him during the Memorial Cup and the sky is the limit for that guy. won't be surprised to see him as an NHL coach. I wonder if the Oilers didn't offer him a spot on the staff. It would make more sense for a guy like that to take a head coaching position at the next level instead. I'm also not totally convinced that the tradition and culture the Oil Kings have created is going to change all that much. I assume Steve Hamilton is going to take over and he seemed to be a candidate for almost every vacant head coaching position as they became available.

On the flip side... Lazar could come back. Samuelsson, Reinhart, and Moroz/Kulda could play as O/A's and they might. This is all speculation. I enjoy speculating though. The Islanders look like they need to elevate young Reinhart. The Oilers look like they need a player like Moroz to elevate. Phoenix is a tough one for me, partly because they kept Turris in the AHL for so long... they may elect to leave Samuelsson and Kulda where they are. They still have to sign Kulda to a contract anyway, and the Oil Kings would need to decide if they want to use an O/A spot and a Import spot on the same player. I am told it is rare that a team will do that, but I don't see why you wouldn't if the player is worth it.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
On the flip side... Lazar could come back. Samuelsson, Reinhart, and Moroz/Kulda could play as O/A's and they might. This is all speculation. I enjoy speculating though. The Islanders look like they need to elevate young Reinhart. The Oilers look like they need a player like Moroz to elevate. Phoenix is a tough one for me, partly because they kept Turris in the AHL for so long... they may elect to leave Samuelsson and Kulda where they are. They still have to sign Kulda to a contract anyway, and the Oil Kings would need to decide if they want to use an O/A spot and a Import spot on the same player. I am told it is rare that a team will do that, but I don't see why you wouldn't if the player is worth it.

I think Reinhart plays in the NHL or at worst the AHL. Samuelsson, Moroz will most definitely play in the AHL next year. My guess is that Kulda will play in the AHL or europe next season. I don't think they would waste O/A and an Import spot on one player IMO.

As for Lazar. His chances are high that he makes the Sens with their current roster but i think the Sens are looking to make some trades so who knows what the roster will look like in September. I guess we'll see what happens at training camp.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Engage a Hitmen fan who starts a thread to bash the Oil Kings? Now why would I want to do that?

Im all for more WHL discussion but this doesnt really interest me much. None of us really have any idea how the Oil Kings are going to do next season. I thought they would be a fringe playoff team last year. Shows what I know.

Trading Lazar to the Winterhawks?

Yeah right. Because the Winterhawks are loaded with high draft picks- oh wait..........

no picks, but they have a ton of extremely impressive youth in the 15-17 year age group

rabidgambit

Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
I don't really know a lot about the depth of the Winterhawks player protected list, but wouldn't they want to retain their prospects when they are not going to have the picks to replace them? Wouldn't trading away the prospects virtually guarantee them a bottom feeder season in the future?

Another thought that came to mind regarding the Winterhawks is how many of those prospects on their PPL are American born and how many of their families would be opposed to their sons being traded to a team in Canada... not sure how much that plays into it but after watching the players in Lethbridge force trades out of the Windy Valley I can imagine players blocking trades in this scenario as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad