Post-Game Talk: Oil hold off the Devils, 2-1.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can't believe people wag their fingers at other posters for not falling down and crying in joy over a win. We beat up on Jersey, but just got ****ed in the ass by Toronto, and Pittsburgh. Also we've been held down and ****ed in the ass by every other damn team in the league.

I won't admonish anyone for celebrating a win. Go crazy. But don't sit there and give your fellow posters **** for not being excited. This team is garbage, our management is garbage, and this year has been garbage.

We won a game. Yippee.

This is a post game thread based on this particular game though. I can't speak for other posters but the only critical post I had issue with was how we played in this particular game. There were a lot of great things about this game.

Every team has rough stretches btw, and Toronto is a lot better than their losing streak suggests. They aren't like Buffalo. The same basic squad was fighting for 1st in the East several times. Pittsburgh is the best team in the East with their players back from injury

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
You obviously didn't see the play with 2mins left. It was easy to not notice but just a brutal pinch decision that a #1 Center that is supposed to be an allround player can't make. Thought he was ordinary throughout the game and amazing he doesn't get on the board on a night when Eberle was on fire.

In dfence of the Nuge on that pinch, although it is on him to decide when and when not to pinch we have been seeing a lot of successful pinching from the team since Eakins left (not those gawdawefull leave no man back types) and some have went sour like in the Leafs game and like with Fayne (whos not a pinch first kinda guy) tonight.

I wonder if these pinches aren't by design and are the hammering our of a new, more aggressive puck retrieval strategy. Heaven knows we are getting bodies down low and hemming teams in for once.

Just a thought on that play, the rest of Nuges game obviously is not looking that great lately.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I can't believe people wag their fingers at other posters for not falling down and crying in joy over a win. We beat up on Jersey, but just got ****ed in the ass by Toronto, and Pittsburgh. Also we've been held down and ****ed in the ass by every other damn team in the league.

I won't admonish anyone for celebrating a win. Go crazy. But don't sit there and give your fellow posters **** for not being excited. This team is garbage, our management is garbage, and this year has been garbage.

We won a game. Yippee.

I called out the trend of, Oilers win and people come up with excuses for the other team losing. "So and so wasn't himself tonight" "They didn't bring it"

You can celebrate, not celebrate, talk about every mistake we made, point out the good I don't care. I just want to note that our fans make up excuses for other teams losing.

Also yeah this team is garbage, one of the worst lineups in hockey, one of the worst D corps in hockey. Yet they have still found ways be .500 since Nelson got here in spite of losing two of our best forwards. I hope it doesn't make me crazy to be happy about that.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
It was a................???

"Nice to see Yak get the GWG. Yak and Roy have some chemistry"

It was a nice power play goal by Yak on a feed from Eberle.

I wondering why the Oilers have not used this type of play before..........it looks like a play that has legs and it makes use of Yak's strengths as a shooter.

Hope this continues.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Congrats on the win. My team played terrible. 14 shots in an entire game is a joke. But that's not why I'm here. How has Mark Fayne been for you guys this year? His stats on the season are not nearly as good as I expected they would be for him this season, but that never tells the whole story. How would you rank his play among all your defenseman this season?

He had one of the worst pinches ive ever seen this game but overall has been solid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How was Marincin tonight? Playing like an NhLer?

Not bad. Not great but not bad.

I'm starting to think he might peak at a 4/5 defenceman. Not as in an 4/5 on Edmonton 4/5 but a real actual 4/5. Which, for us, for a pick taken after the first round, is a landslide win.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
In dfence of the Nuge on that pinch, although it is on him to decide when and when not to pinch we have been seeing a lot of successful pinching from the team since Eakins left (not those gawdawefull leave no man back types) and some have went sour like in the Leafs game and like with Fayne (whos not a pinch first kinda guy) tonight.

I wonder if these pinches aren't by design and are the hammering our of a new, more aggressive puck retrieval strategy. Heaven knows we are getting bodies down low and hemming teams in for once.

Just a thought on that play, the rest of Nuges game obviously is not looking that great lately.

Wouldn't be railing on it except that it occurred with 2 mins left with us a goal up on the road. . That and the brutally slow skate to the bench. Should be buying petry drinks for saving his ass there. Petry btw has been some kind of good under Nelson. So many Oilers have been.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

We won a game. Yippee.

The compete factor was the main reason this team lost against Pitts and most def against the Leafs. Under Nelson there have been some brutal games, make no mistake about it. But under Nelson there have been many more good games where the team actually showed up. All we ask for as fans is for hard work and if they lose, at least won't have to question their work ethic. Tonight was a perfect example. if the team lost I'd have been okay with it because they battled.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
"Nice to see Yak get the GWG. Yak and Roy have some chemistry"

It was a nice power play goal by Yak on a feed from Eberle.

I wondering why the Oilers have not used this type of play before..........it looks like a play that has legs and it makes use of Yak's strengths as a shooter.

Hope this continues.

I posted in the Yakupov discussion thread that Eberle/Yakupov should be a PP combo. They both have good shots from the side wall and Eberle is a good right handed playmaker that can get Yak the puck in the sweet spot for the one timer.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The compete factor was the main reason this team lost against Pitts and most def against the Leafs. Under Nelson there have been some brutal games, make no mistake about it. But under Nelson there have been many more good games where the team actually showed up. All we ask for as fans is for hard work and if they lose, at least won't have to question their work ethic. Tonight was a perfect example. if the team lost I'd have been okay with it because they battled.

I had no problems with the loss against the Pens. Just Pittsburgh, a far better team, being right on top of their game. They spanked Calgary 4-0 in the game after. At least our game was close.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really enjoyed seeing Yak get that PP goal tonight. Still an adventure in his own end but it was nice to see him celebrate a goal.

Eberle with another solid game.

RNH will be fine...saw some good things in this game.

The team really misses Hall and Pouliot. They are more of a slow plodding team without these 2 players in the lineup. Hall keeps dmen honest with his speed.
Pouliots net presence and forecheck is also sorely missed.

Unexpected win to be sure.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I posted in the Yakupov discussion thread that Eberle/Yakupov should be a PP combo. They both have good shots from the side wall and Eberle is a good right handed playmaker that can get Yak the puck in the sweet spot for the one timer.

Good call. Still can't get over what a sweet pass that was. Puts it right threw middle ice right in PERFECT position for the onetimer.

Eberle ought to have been 1st star tonight. Did everything. Ran everything. Best game he's played all year imo.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I called out the trend of, Oilers win and people come up with excuses for the other team losing. "So and so wasn't himself tonight" "They didn't bring it"

You can celebrate, not celebrate, talk about every mistake we made, point out the good I don't care. I just want to note that our fans make up excuses for other teams losing.

Also yeah this team is garbage, one of the worst lineups in hockey, one of the worst D corps in hockey. Yet they have still found ways be .500 since Nelson got here in spite of losing two of our best forwards. I hope it doesn't make me crazy to be happy about that.

Well, the Devils were dreadful tonight, absolutely dreadful.
The Oilers outplayed them for sure but the Oilers usually wilt when the opposition pushes back and the Devils had nothing in the tank tonight so that certainly helped the cause.

As I pointed out though, there were positives. Klefbom continues to improve and Eberle has been a different player under Nelson. One thing that sucks is seeing Petry flourish knowing that he'll be gone next month, it takes some of the joy out of these wins knowing that he'll need to be replaced amongst the many other items on MacT's shopping list.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Eberle is carrying the PP to an extent right now. He is really on his game. Very good coaching decision to put Yak out their with Eberle on the PP and have them both playing up high.

That configuration was a very interesting coaching decision. It may well help with the fact that there are very few shooting dmen on this roster.

The only potential issue I see (long term) is that you can defend 3 Oilers up high with 2 defenders because of the lack of shooting dmen on this team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well, the Devils were dreadful tonight, absolutely dreadful.
The Oilers outplayed them for sure but the Oilers usually wilt when the opposition pushes back and the Devils had nothing in the tank tonight so that certainly helped the cause.

As I pointed out though, there were positives. Klefbom continues to improve and Eberle has been a different player under Nelson. One thing that sucks is seeing Petry flourish knowing that he'll be gone next month, it takes some of the joy out of these wins knowing that he'll need to be replaced amongst the many other items on MacT's shopping list.

Sometimes it feels like the Oilers win more as a direct result of our opposition playing like crap than the Oilers actually playing well. When teams are on their game the Oilers are simply no match.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Eberle is carrying the PP to an extent right now. He is really on his game. Very good coaching decision to put Yak out their with Eberle on the PP and have them both playing up high.

That configuration was a very interesting coaching decision. It may well help with the fact that there are very few shooting dmen on this roster.

The only potential issue I see (long term) is that you can defend 3 Oilers up high with 2 defenders because of the lack of shooting dmen on this team.

He was only out there because Pakarinen took a shot up high and had to leave the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad