Post-Game Talk: Oil hold off the Devils, 2-1.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
When using our best options at D we allow 15 shots.

Sounds ok.

New Jersey is kind of feeble offensively regardless. We'll see how the next week goes.

Also it's not the "best" options until a pylon gets put out instead of Ference.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
RNH takes everything that other teams can throw at him. He faces the Webers, Kopitars, Getzlafs, and Pietrangelos of the Western Conference, and holds his own - at 21.

just think how different this team would be if we could grab an Eric Staal or another similar player to play top line minutes? RNH vs the secondary defenders would be like heaven for this team.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Good to see my favorite oiler get a goal. Too bad he only has 6. RNH and Yak are horrible 1st overalls.

I don't understand this attitude. They are only a few years out of their draft year and a team can only pick the best player of the kids available to be drafted.

2011 looks to be a thin year for talent, and there is not another player that jumps out as being better than RNH. We have yet to see how he performs when he is physically ready to play to role he currently occupies. The other contenders the Oilers may have reasonably selected (Landeskog, Huberdeau, and Larsson) continue to struggle as well.

2012 it is still early, but among the top-2 players the team were seriously considering both Yakupov and Murray have disappointed so far. Galchenyuk is progressing well, but he has the luxury of playing on a deeper team and drafting him 1st overall after he missed almost the entire year previous to the draft would have been a huge risk. In retrospect, trading down a grabbing one of the top defenseman (Reinhart, Trouba, Lindholm, Rielly) would have been the best move, and ironically that is what a lot of folks around here feared would happen.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
"Nice to see Yak get the GWG. Yak and Roy have some chemistry"

It was a nice power play goal by Yak on a feed from Eberle.

I wondering why the Oilers have not used this type of play before..........it looks like a play that has legs and it makes use of Yak's strengths as a shooter.

Hope this continues.

This! A 1000 times this. Yak looked like a younger, smaller version of Ovechkin on that one-timer. Why are we not doing that more often. EVERYONE knows Ovie is going to shoot a one-timer from the left circle and he still leads the league in goals. Yak's shot isn't quite as good, but it looks pretty damn elite.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This! A 1000 times this. Yak looked like a younger, smaller version of Ovechkin on that one-timer. Why are we not doing that more often. EVERYONE knows Ovie is going to shoot a one-timer from the left circle and he still leads the league in goals. Yak's shot isn't quite as good, but it looks pretty damn elite.

Yea, and the players setting him up aren't scrubs. If the PK focuses on Yak too much the other players will make them pay.

I'd like to see one primary unit and one built around Yak shooting
Ebs Roy Yak
Schultz Purcell

Hall RNH Pouliot
Klefbom Petry

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Also it's not the "best" options until a pylon gets put out instead of Ference.

Ference has had some bad games, but I think he's had some good games this year as well. If he is properly used on the bottom line, he's fine. (No PP or PK last game!)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Congrats on the win. My team played terrible. 14 shots in an entire game is a joke. But that's not why I'm here. How has Mark Fayne been for you guys this year? His stats on the season are not nearly as good as I expected they would be for him this season, but that never tells the whole story. How would you rank his play among all your defenseman this season?

A bit late to the game here, but unlike a few posters, I think Fayne has been our best D zone guy and a very consistent presence on the blue line. Probably the most consistent on the team since he arrived.

I don't really care about his point totals at all. We just need a steady D like him.

Reminds me a bit of steady Steve Staios

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
A bit late to the game here, but unlike a few posters, I think Fayne has been our best D zone guy and a very consistent presence on the blue line. Probably the most consistent on the team since he arrived.

I don't really care about his point totals at all. We just need a steady D like him.

Reminds me a bit of steady Steve Staios

Agreed 100%

Don't care if he has 0 points.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed 100%

Don't care if he has 0 points.

He has 6 points. That's respectable for the type of stay-at-home D he's playing. I don't notice him most nights, which is exactly what we're paying him for.

Yeah. I think point totals are a bit over rated for this type of D.

There are Fogolin type players that are just solid D, and Paul Coffee types that one expects to score points.

You need both types for a winning recipe IMO.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Our D are taking more shots and pinching more, think this is part of a new system. Might even see Fayne's production increase.

Hopefully that god aweful pinch he made last night isn't going to increase too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad