Oil Change and 24CH

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Silly me thought the leaf game was at 7 tonight not 9, so I've been watching oil change to pass the time. Anyways, it got me thinking, Edmonton (Oil Change) and Montreal (24CH) both have programs that follow their team around for the whole year. I know we have 24/7 this year for the Winter Classic, but how come we don't have a program like that. With such a big market there would be tons of viewers tuning in every week to watch it.

Just food for thought.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Add Behind the Bruins to the list. And if Leafs TV were to do shows like this, when would they show all those old games? :sarcasm:

To be serious, I wouldn't mind a show that follows the Leafs.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Silly me thought the leaf game was at 7 tonight not 9, so I've been watching oil change to pass the time. Anyways, it got me thinking, Edmonton (Oil Change) and Montreal (24CH) both have programs that follow their team around for the whole year. I know we have 24/7 this year for the Winter Classic, but how come we don't have a program like that. With such a big market there would be tons of viewers tuning in every week to watch it.

Just food for thought.

Blackhawks also have NHL36 or something. It is surprising, but maybe they decided against it knowing we would get HBO, so the leafs decided not to over-saturate the product. I'm glad they don't since it makes 24/7 feel that more special.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
We do have that, it's called the Toronto Media!

Anyway I agree it would be cool, but for this market its probably a bit excessive, our team is already under the largest microscope in hockey. I think the penguins also have a similar program as well...

Jacob8hockey*

If the Leafs ever do get a program like this I beg its not on Leafs TV

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
We probably never did because all those shows started during Burke's tenure with the Leafs. Do you really see Burke allowing for that kind of show during the season? Maybe in a year or two after 24/7.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Even if it didn't follow the leafs and followed the marlies instead. Would give them some exposure and fans could keep tabs on them. There is a market for this among hockey fans. I know I record even the memorialcup ones that follow junior teams. I just like the behind the scenes stuff.

wulfio*

If the Leafs ever do get a program like this I beg its not on Leafs TV

I'm pretty sure it would have to be on Leafs TV. Too much conflict with sportsnet vs. TSN, and deciding air time. It would probably also drive up subscriptions for Leafs TV so it's win win for MLSE.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
"Did you see on last nights episode? Phil Kessel had three slices of pizza. And it was pepperoni, it didnt even have any vegetables. How is he going to keep playing at an elite level for the next 8 years if hes eating three slices of pizza at one meal? Were taking your calls now"

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Based on the current ownership structure, my guess is they would air it on Leafs TV first, then allow TSN and SN to show replays.

I'm assuming they will do it next year. Likely didnt want to start last year because of the uncertainty of the season, and this year because we will have 24/7.

Next year makes sense to me.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
"Did you see on last nights episode? Phil Kessel had three slices of pizza. And it was pepperoni, it didnt even have any vegetables. How is he going to keep playing at an elite level for the next 8 years if hes eating three slices of pizza at one meal? Were taking your calls now"

You've got it.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

We do have that, it's called the Toronto Media!

Anyway I agree it would be cool, but for this market its probably a bit excessive, our team is already under the largest microscope in hockey. I think the penguins also have a similar program as well...

The Habs also have a lot of media coverage, both in French and English.

I'd like if they did a behind the scenes program starting next year or something. After 24/7, not this year.

Jacob8hockey*

Not that I have anything against the people who run Leafs TV or anything but I feel like its sooo amateur for one of the largest and richest teams in NA.

Lets be honest, the quality could be improved. Alot.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Leafs probably don't want that although it would be cool... i'm fine with just 24/7 though

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Habs also have a lot of media coverage, both in French and English.

I'd like if they did a behind the scenes program starting next year or something. After 24/7, not this year.

Its true that the Habs have a great following, but its probably a 3.5 million population difference between the Greater Montreal (including Gatineau) and the GTA.

You think it would be smart for the Leafs to capitalize on the popularity and buzz around a team that actually has some potential. I'm sure if you let Rogers and Bell starting bidding on it, it would be additional revenue for the team and players.

I think that there would be a correct way to handle doing a show like this and make it so it wasn't just "another media outlet" attitude in the city. There is just so much content in this city that the content is saturated down and it really pin points almost useless facts about the team.

I'm sure you could sell to Leafs nation and casual fans that the team is still really young. You've got Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Josh Leivo, and JVR all still under the age 25. I'm sure you could get the female crowd excited with Lupul promos in the body issue. There are still lots of ways to go about this because a majority of the team isn't married and are still living in the bachelor life style. And as a male around the age of some of these guys, that's what you truly wanted as a kid.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I've enjoyed the few episodes of Oil Change that I've seen. I don't think I would enjoy it for my team though just because it would be too much, like I already watch the games and read articles, would be kind of cool to see them on a show, but not on a consistent basis. 24/7 is enough team insight for me.

Wouldn't mind it maybe at the beginning of each year just for like 4-5 episodes so we can get to know the new people a little more and see them enjoying themselves as the season is still young. I feel like as it goes on though it would get more and more boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad