Oil 2014 1st round pick

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Same response I had last year. If we can find a quality, young player that can become part of our core going forward, I have no problem with moving our 1st. Last year there was a lot of Subban/O'Reilly chatter and I was all for that. If we can find those kind of pieces, I would hope MacT would be interested.

A lot of that chatter, at least as far as PK goes, was people saying they wanted nothing to do with that cancer, he's not that good, etc. Funny how things change so quickly.

If we actually do sign a good UFA we should hold off announcing it until we trade the 2014 pick. Or is that totally illegal?

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
A lot of that chatter, at least as far as PK goes, was people saying they wanted nothing to do with that cancer, he's not that good, etc. Funny how things change so quickly.

If we actually do sign a good UFA we should hold off announcing it until we trade the 2014 pick. Or is that totally illegal?

I don't know about any rules issues there, but I imagine we would have to trade the pick very fast after the signing to prevent it from getting out anyways. Surely a big name signing would stay quiet.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know about any rules issues there, but I imagine we would have to trade the pick very fast after the signing to prevent it from getting out anyways. Surely a big name signing would stay quiet.

Yea it's not going to happen but it would be pretty funny for us Oilers fans. Imagine if we signed say Clarkson, then we trade the pick for a dman that night and announce the trade in the morning. Obviously would be horrible for MacT's reputation among GMs.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Keep the pick. I think it will be around 5-10 so we should be able to get a decent player

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I don't think this will be a Top 10 pick next year, but you don't trade your firsts until you know you have a playoff spot locked, or you're making them regularly.

'Cause that leads to disaster.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
I agree with most of you that don't want to trade the pick right away. It useless to trade it until we know where the Oilers will land. If it's another top 10 then trade down or for a proven player + picks

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The more I think about it the more I think that I'd be ok with Edmonton trading their first rounder for someone who's got a few years left on their contract if Edmonton is in 8th place or better. That's a big if.

Unless Edmonton is hitting an absolute home run I don't want to see Edmonton cough up their first rounder over the off season.

I'd prefer to see Edmonton draft in the first round. We're still relatively weak at some positions on our team and in our system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad