OHL Top 10 scoring - 3 Preds 09 picks

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Just noticed a pretty unusual little fact, while looking at stats for various Predators prospects. 3 of the top 10 scoring leaders were picked by the Predators in the 09 draft:
(GP,G,A,PTS,PIM)
1 Jason Akeson Kitchener Rangers 58 24 78 102 21
2 Tyler Toffoli Ottawa 67's 60 50 45 95 27
3 Ryan Strome Niagara IceDogs 56 28 64 92 74
4 Nail Yakupov Sarnia Sting 56 43 44 87 53
5 Ryan Ellis Windsor Spitfires 50 21 66 87 53
6 Taylor Beck Guelph Storm 55 38 47 85 52
7 Christian Thomas Oshawa Generals57 47 36 83 32
8 Shane Prince Ottawa 67's 54 25 57 82 16
9 Michael Latta Guelph Storm 60 31 50 81 147
10 Colin Behenna Barrie Colts 59 30 51 81 25

In addition, Mike Latta's 147 PIMs are among the league leaders. All three should be in Milwaukee next year. Austin Watson is just outside the top 20 with 31 goals, as well.

I don't remember ever seeing such a situation, just thought it was kind of a weird\cool.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
If Austin Watson was still in a Spitfire uniform then you would probably see him in that list as well.

i was a little surprised he wasn't traded from Peterborough, I know there were rumors.

Kind of bummed that being on an awful team is sort of limiting what he can do, although I believe he was playing with Matt Puempel until his injury, at least.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
What's the story on this Jason Akeson kid? Looks like he's put up pretty huge assist numbers the last couple of seasons, but wasn't drafted, and as far as I can tell, is a free agent.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
i was a little surprised he wasn't traded from Peterborough, I know there were rumors.

Kind of bummed that being on an awful team is sort of limiting what he can do, although I believe he was playing with Matt Puempel until his injury, at least.

it works both ways playing on a weak team he would get all the PP and PK minutes so his numbers would be increase because of that. Look at his Plus and Minus not doing very good 5 on 5.

2010-11 Regular Season Peterborough Petes 60 31 28 59 -35 44

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
What's the story on this Jason Akeson kid? Looks like he's put up pretty huge assist numbers the last couple of seasons, but wasn't drafted, and as far as I can tell, is a free agent.

this happens all the time an OA player playing against younger players get a lot of points in their last year of playing in the OHL.

The leader in Points in the quebec league is an OA also and not drafted.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
this happens all the time an OA player playing against younger players get a lot of points in their last year of playing in the OHL.

The leader in Points in the quebec league is an OA also and not drafted.
Tyler Johnson in the dub just as well may end up being the league's leading scorer too.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Hes never really put up outstanding numbers, mainly because hes been behind so many players for so long, and in his draft year was a spare part. His first year with good numbers last last year but he didn't put up enough to get drafted even though he went to the Ducks training camp.

This year hes broken out with ice time and such and hes definitely getting a contract since hes an excellent skater and has great hockey sense. He'll be an NHL player for sure. Maybe the Preds can sign him and make it 4 of them top 10 OHL scorers :nod:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

He will be back next year to the OHL for sure, decent chance of him getting traded then.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Hes never really put up outstanding numbers, mainly because hes been behind so many players for so long, and in his draft year was a spare part. His first year with good numbers last last year but he didn't put up enough to get drafted even though he went to the Ducks training camp.

This year hes broken out with ice time and such and hes definitely getting a contract since hes an excellent skater and has great hockey sense. He'll be an NHL player for sure. Maybe the Preds can sign him and make it 4 of them top 10 OHL scorers :nod:

he has 40% of his points on the PP. 36a 7g. you need to be able to play 5 on 5 to go to the next levels. as an OA he should have a lot more points if he has 43 points on the PP he should be in the 120's or more in points.

look at the other two Strome has 28a 6g for 34 points on the PP as a 17 year old. Toffoli has 11a 12g for 23 points as a 18 year old. so they have more points 5 on 5 than him.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
he has 40% of his points on the PP. 36a 7g. you need to be able to play 5 on 5 to go to the next levels. as an OA he should have a lot more points if he has 43 points on the PP he should be in the 120's or more in points.

look at the other two Strome has 28a 6g for 34 points on the PP as a 17 year old. Toffoli has 11a 12g for 23 points as a 18 year old. so they have more points 5 on 5 than him.

Have you ever watched him lol? Since you implied he doesn't know how to play off the PP and he most certainly does.

Watch him before you judge. He has all the tools to make the NHL and he will be a highly sought rookie free agent.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Have you ever watched him lol? Since you implied he doesn't know how to play off the PP and he most certainly does.

Watch him before you judge. He has all the tools to make the NHL and he will be a highly sought rookie free agent.

i do watch him every week. he is an OA and is getting points does not make him a good player. if he was doing it as a 17,18 or 19 year old it would be better. He may make the AHL if he gets a chance but he may not get a chance. Most players that only do good as a OA do not get a chance to prove they can do it in a higher league playing with players older and same age.

Look at Luke Pither from last year lots of points as a OA 18g 19a on the PP so 40% of his points which was 94 points. Same as Akeson looking good as a OA but the scouts see that. Luke got picked up by Philly. Not sure where he is playing he is not in the AHL.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
i do watch him every week. he is an OA and is getting points does not make him a good player. if he was doing it as a 17,18 or 19 year old it would be better. He may make the AHL if he gets a chance but he may not get a chance. Most players that only do good as a OA do not get a chance to prove they can do it in a higher league playing with players older and same age.

Look at Luke Pither from last year lots of points as a OA 18g 19a on the PP so 40% of his points which was 94 points. Same as Akeson looking good as a OA but the scouts see that. Luke got picked up by Philly. Not sure where he is playing he is not in the AHL.

:laugh:

No you haven't watched him because you're completely wrong about everything you're saying about him, and you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Most players who dominate as an overager,

1. Aren't good skaters, Akeson is an excellent skater
2. Don't have good hockey sense, Akeson has great hockey sense and vision

Pither wasn't close to as good as Akeson, and definitely doesn't have the same tools Akeson does.

If you're going to talk about a player you claim to watch, actually know something about them, which you obviously don't. No overager has ever been the best player in the OHL, Akeson finnally got his chance this year and he is the best player in the OHL this year. Just because hes an OA doesn't mean hes a bad player.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
:laugh:

No you haven't watched him because you're completely wrong about everything you're saying about him, and you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Most players who dominate as an overager,

1. Aren't good skaters, Akeson is an excellent skater
2. Don't have good hockey sense, Akeson has great hockey sense and vision

Pither wasn't close to as good as Akeson, and definitely doesn't have the same tools Akeson does.

If you're going to talk about a player you claim to watch, actually know something about them, which you obviously don't. No overager has ever been the best player in the OHL, Akeson finnally got his chance this year and he is the best player in the OHL this year. Just because hes an OA doesn't mean hes a bad player.

i never said he was a bad player but he is getting 40% of his points on the PP. He is a OA playing against 85% younger players i guess that makes him the best.

These are all facts you need to look at just because he is your home town player does not mean he is the greatest.

If your kid was an average player playing as a 12 year old how would he do playing against the 10 year olds. He may be the best player same here.

he was not good enough as a 19 year to make any AHL team this year. Unless all the NHL scouts do not know what they are doing. I guess everyone else is wrong but you. Good for you.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
i never said he was a bad player but he is getting 40% of his points on the PP. He is a OA playing against 85% younger players i guess that makes him the best.

These are all facts you need to look at just because he is your home town player does not mean he is the greatest.

If your kid was an average player playing as a 12 year old how would he do playing against the 10 year olds. He may be the best player same here.

he was not good enough as a 19 year to make any AHL team this year. Unless all the NHL scouts do not know what they are doing. I guess everyone else is wrong but you. Good for you.

I don't care that hes 20, he has all the talent to make the NHL.

He was in Ducks training camp and he really never had a chance to get a contract, it was more of a tryout and see what skills he had then if he had a good year this year they'd give him a contract, which will definitely happen and it'll be more than just Anahiem after him.

I really don't think you've watched him since all you bring up is the stats, which are very good stats, instead of talking about his skills.

The things that a smaller player (Under 6'0) need to make the NHL and have an impact in Pro Hockey is skating and hockey sense, which are Akesons biggest strenghs.

Almost every overager who dominates has an area thats severely lacking. What is Akesons? Hes not amazing in every area obvious, but doesn't have a blaring weakness like most 20 year old CHL players have.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I don't care that hes 20, he has all the talent to make the NHL.

He was in Ducks training camp and he really never had a chance to get a contract, it was more of a tryout and see what skills he had then if he had a good year this year they'd give him a contract, which will definitely happen and it'll be more than just Anahiem after him.

I really don't think you've watched him since all you bring up is the stats, which are very good stats, instead of talking about his skills.

The things that a smaller player (Under 6'0) need to make the NHL and have an impact in Pro Hockey is skating and hockey sense, which are Akesons biggest strenghs.

Almost every overager who dominates has an area thats severely lacking. What is Akesons? Hes not amazing in every area obvious, but doesn't have a blaring weakness like most 20 year old CHL players have.

He is good makes good passes but these are mainly on the PP. Last year Luke Pither was signed March 4 all OA can be sign any time so Akeson can be signed today if the NHL scout like him. I have seen that Brian Burke is at a lot of Ranger games maybe he is looking at him also because he could sign him before some other teams pick him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad