OHL to Chatham?

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Plenty of places not smack dab in the middle of three OHL teams (Sarnia, London, Windsor) that could get a team. If I'm putting a new team in the Western Conference, I'm putting it in Stratford, and they also need a new arena.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Plenty of places not smack dab in the middle of three OHL teams (Sarnia, London, Windsor) that could get a team. If I'm putting a new team in the Western Conference, I'm putting it in Stratford, and they also need a new arena.
There's rumour it could be Mississauga, Sarnia, Erie, or Belleville

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
They can have our play-by-play guy who lives in Chatham and commutes to call Spits games.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't see any team moving in time for the 2013/14 season. However, the Otter's lease expires at the end of next season.

Bassen, was flirting with Hamilton earlier, now that the Bulldogs re locked into Copps until 2016, the Hammer is not available.

Perhaps, Chatham being next in line makes sense. If it happens, hope they're called the Maroons.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
15 years of attendance futility and financial losses,Missy make the most sense.

I agree.

New owner has made it clear that he will give Missy a 3 year chance, and the timing seems so perfect for them to move to Chatham by 2014-15.

I am sure that the Town of Chatham will throw all kinds of perks at Elliott Kerr to relocate.

Other possibility may be Erie. They seem to be the only real team on an isolated island in the OHL. They need to move closer, and in Ontario to lure more high end players.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Other possibility may be Erie. They seem to be the only real team on an isolated island in the OHL. They need to move closer, and in Ontario to lure more high end players.

They need to win to lure the players, not be closer to Ontario. When Erie was winning, that arena was rocking and they were known as a great franchise. You start losing and it's tough to keep players around.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
They need to win to lure the players, not be closer to Ontario. When Erie was winning, that arena was rocking and they were known as a great franchise. You start losing and it's tough to keep players around.

I cant disagree with that. So what has changed from those days to these days.

Wasnt Bassen in charge back then? What has been the major difference?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I agree the Erie makes the most sense, in terms of next season, I would think that 2014/15 is more realistic since the Otters's lease expires in 2014.

If Chatham approves the new arena and the reno on the existing arena soon, I can see a mid-fall announcement much like how the Battalion's news to North Bay.

PITTNERIE

May 7, 2013
Western Pennsylvania
I agree the Erie makes the most sense, in terms of next season, I would think that 2014/15 is more realistic since the Otters's lease expires in 2014.

If Chatham approves the new arena and the reno on the existing arena soon, I can see a mid-fall announcement much like how the Battalion's news to North Bay.

I don't see Bassin passin the baton just yet. He has fought to keep this team in town. There are over 3000 fans that see the game. Erie is getting an upgrade for an arena to 6500 seats. I am sure it will be more than a one year lease. I can Mississauga moving before Erie does. Yes Bassin wants to retire but I am sure during his tenure the Otters will stay in Erie. I can see an All Star game coming to town.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Besides...why would all levels of government in Pennsylvania spend millions to upgrade Erie's arena only to see its #1 tenant leave?

That's what puzzles me.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
So lets move the team with the most loyal fan base and brand new arena to an unproven city with a rink that is not OHL calibre :huh:.

Does not seem to make a whole lot of sense but what does in this league anymore.

According to Bassin he is not moving the team anywhere for at least one more year. After this lease expires then it is anyone's guess at this point.

PITTNERIE

May 7, 2013
Western Pennsylvania
Ask the people on North Bay, they lost a franchise in 02 to Saginaw. Did not make sense to me either. But North Bay needed to upgrade their arena. Erie got an upgrade. I bet Bassin get queries by the boatload to move the team since 1996 and even more now since it was yahoo.com

PITTNERIE

May 7, 2013
Western Pennsylvania
http://www.goerie.com/article/20130515/HOCKEY01/305159877/Bassin-denies-report-on-Otters%27-sale-move-to-Chatham-Kent

Erie is not going.........

PUBLISHED: MAY 15, 2013 3:09 PM EST
UPDATED: MAY 15, 2013 3:09 PM EST
Bassin denies report on Otters' sale, move to Chatham-Kent
BY VICTOR FERNANDES, Erie Times-News
[email protected]

Sherry Bassin continues to deny reports of the Erie Otters' impending move to Ontario. First, it was Hamilton. Now, it's the Chatham-Kent region.

"Absolutely no truth to it," Bassin, the OHL club's managing partner and general manager, said in response to a Chatham-Kent Sports Network report Tuesday stating that a deal has been reached to sell the franchise to what the website called a "prominent local businessman."

Bassin previously has denied reports of the franchise's potential move to Hamilton, including a report that he has spoken with Michael Andlauer, owner of the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs, about purchasing the Otters.

"Everytime I turn around, I'm going to five different places," Bassin said.

According to the Chatham-Kent Sports Network report, an announcement regarding the Otters likely would be made following the Memorial Cup, the CHL's annual championship tournament, which begins Friday and runs through May 26 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

Bassin said he continues to receive inquiries about the Otters.

"That's it," Bassin said, referring to not moving any closer to selling the franchise.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Ask the people on North Bay, they lost a franchise in 02 to Saginaw. Did not make sense to me either. But North Bay needed to upgrade their arena. Erie got an upgrade. I bet Bassin get queries by the boatload to move the team since 1996 and even more now since it was yahoo.com

It was a very difficult time in North Bay when we lost our team. But in the end it wasn't an attendance issue, it was an ownership issue. If an owner wants to sell his team, there isn't much that can be done about it. It's just too bad that someone took out the "right of refusal" in the city contract to have the city have the first dibbs on the team before its moved. We all knew something was going on a few years before it even happened by not putting a quality product on the ice and have the attendance go down, and put the blame on the fans when they didn't want to watch sub-par hockey.
Thankfully, we welcome the Battalion with open arms and i'm pretty sure this will not happen again, as ownership wise, from what we've seen so far. He seems pretty commited to bringing a championship team to North Bay and we all will support him.
P.S. We can hardly wait for Saginaw ! ! ! !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad