OHL territory rights?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
I was wonderng if theres ever a chance they'd realign the ohl territorial rights for the USA. I like to see minnesota become part of the ohl instead of the whl. I think more most minnesota kids would be willing to play in the ohl rather than the whl. I mean is this ever possible? Wisconsin, Illinois are part of the ohl territory so why not Minnesota? What do u guys think about this subject.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I was wonderng if theres ever a chance they'd realign the ohl territorial rights for the USA. I like to see minnesota become part of the ohl instead of the whl. I think more most minnesota kids would be willing to play in the ohl rather than the whl. I mean is this ever possible? Wisconsin, Illinois are part of the ohl territory so why not Minnesota? What do u guys think about this subject.

What makes you think they'd prefer the OHL over the WHL?

I don't know anything about which league has rights over which territories, but I think it'd start opening a can of worms throughout the CHL...obviously if Minnesota went to the OHL, the WHL would want a territory in return....geographically Minnesota is quite a distance for OHL scouts to travel to also.

Last edited:

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
What makes you think they'd prefer the OHL over the WHL?

I don't know anything about which league has rights over which territories, but I think it'd start opening a can of worms throughout the CHL...obviously if Minnesota went to the OHL, the WHL would want a territory in return....geographically Minnesota is quite a distance for OHL scouts to travel to also.

I know most minnesota kids prefer to stay in minnesota and thats fine because minnesota hockey system is one of the best imo. I was just saying that maybe more would choose the Ohl instead of thewhl just because it the higher profile league and some of the dub teams are really spaced out. A kid from edina might not want to go to vancouver or edmonton but would prefer maybe sarnia or Toronto area. Like i said im not sure as im not from Minnesota.

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
TIL:

In the WHL teams can select eligible players from British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

In the OHL’s draft teams can draft players from Ontario, as well as from the U.S. states Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York, and a few other designated U.S. states east of the Mississippi River.

In the QMJHL, draftees come from Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, as well as the U.S. region of New England, which includes Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.

http://hockeyfamilyadvisor.com/understanding-the-chls-major-junior-draft-process/

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
TIL:

In the WHL teams can select eligible players from British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

In the OHL’s draft teams can draft players from Ontario, as well as from the U.S. states Michigan, Pennsylvania and New York, and a few other designated U.S. states east of the Mississippi River.

In the QMJHL, draftees come from Quebec, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, as well as the U.S. region of New England, which includes Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.

http://hockeyfamilyadvisor.com/understanding-the-chls-major-junior-draft-process/

The U.S. territorial rights for the CHL always confused me. For instance, Stefan Noesen is from Plano, Texas, yet was drafted by the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL in 2009. Also, Austin Levi is from Aurora, Colorado and was drafted by Plymouth in 2008. How does that work? Is there some sort of loophole?

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
The U.S. territorial rights for the CHL always confused me. For instance, Stefan Noesen is from Plano, Texas, yet was drafted by the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL in 2009. Also, Austin Levi is from Aurora, Colorado and was drafted by Plymouth in 2008. How does that work? Is there some sort of loophole?

Not sure of the exact rule, but it had something to do with each playing batam/midget hockey in Michigan.

Same as Taylor Hall being born and playing most of his minor hockey career in Calgary and moving to Kingston at age 13. By playing x number of years in OHL territory, he was eligible for the OHL draft.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
TIL:

Im aware of this but i was saying is it possible these states could ever change like minnesota becoming ohl territory instead of whl

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Not sure of the exact rule, but it had something to do with each playing batam/midget hockey in Michigan.

Same as Taylor Hall being born and playing most of his minor hockey career in Calgary and moving to Kingston at age 13. By playing x number of years in OHL territory, he was eligible for the OHL draft.

Thanks, that is helpful. I was always curious how Plymouth ended up with players from other parts of the U.S.

H44

Aug 31, 2011
I know most minnesota kids prefer to stay in minnesota and thats fine because minnesota hockey system is one of the best imo. I was just saying that maybe more would choose the Ohl instead of thewhl just because it the higher profile league and some of the dub teams are really spaced out. A kid from edina might not want to go to vancouver or edmonton but would prefer maybe sarnia or Toronto area. Like i said im not sure as im not from Minnesota.

Hi JFA87

Just curious as to why you think the OHL is the more high profile league. If you lived in western Canada, or northwest USA, you might have a completely opposite view. All three CHL leagues are high profile.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Hi JFA87

Just curious as to why you think the OHL is the more high profile league. If you lived in western Canada, or northwest USA, you might have a completely opposite view. All three CHL leagues are high profile.

Yea your right all 3 are great leagues. Just the ohl is my favorite and imo is the best of the 3. I think the dub is the toughest though.

Quixote

Sep 7, 2013

They really try not to break geographic boundaries unless there are extenuating circumstances - such as a player whose family relocates (permanent change of address). Even then there's no guarantee, but if you play youth hockey in Seattle and then your entire family moves to Michigan and you play Bantam there, then your family might want you to play closer to home (OHL vs WHL). If the player leaves home to billet in his Bantam years, but his family is still in the original location, the CHL would probably look less favorably on any request to be considered for a draft outside the assigned territory. The rule is that you are eligible based on the home address registered with USA Hockey. So if you're registered in Texas and you move to Illinois, you're going to be eligible for the Dub not the O. So if your family does relocate for other personal reasons (school, health, job, etc) make sure you update your USA Hockey registration address. They really frown on people relocating solely for the sake of hockey, though. I agree that all three leagues are great, so from a pure hockey perspective it doesn't really matter. More scoop in Navigating Youth Hockey: The Definitive Guide for Parents and Players (US version only).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad