OHL Team adoption of Analytics?

NV

Aug 22, 2003
When you can be on the ice with 4 of 17 different teammates, playing against 5 of 18 different opponents, all of whom have been on the ice for varying times, I have a hard time thinking these stats are as accurate as the believers want them to be. I also see great flaw in the idea of these numbers. I've watched games where one team dominated possession, but couldn't generate scoring opportunities, or even shots on net, turn the puck over and see the other team score with less than 10 seconds in the offensive zone.

At the end of the day, any time I have challenged an advanced stats follower, they seem to be unable to offer any retort that explained the importance of these numbers. I think it's one thing for the front office to have these, or the coaching staff, but as a fan, if this interests you more than watching and enjoying the game, you are missing the point
There's definitely a correlation between puck possession and goal differential and therefore winning games. Of course in any one game there is tons of randomness, but over the long term (large sample) it will hold true.

With new tracking technology in the hockey, analytics will be less dependent on Corsi/Fenwick/etc... as a proxy of puck possession and will have actual possession data including exactly who is on the ice, in what position, for what amount of time etc... and the results will be easier to pinpoint and more accurate - similar to what happened first with Pitch f/x and now Statcast in baseball.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
http://mississaugasteelheads.com/article/steelheads-announce-additions-to-hockey-operations-team

Changes to Steelheads Analytics Department are as follows...
1) Micahel Doyle returns to work with coaching staff in analytics.
2) Promote Zac Urback to management analytics
3) Hire Hayden Speak of Prospect-Stats as analytics assistant

All 3 are listed on the website.
http://mississaugasteelheads.com/hockeyoperations

More on these 3 in this article http://www.mississauga.com/sports-s...ds-add-more-faces-to-hockey-operations-staff/

Doyle:
Doyle returns to the Steelheads coaching staff this season. He has previously worked alongside Richmond with the Ontario Junior Hockey League’s Aurora Tigers, where Doyle served as assistant coach and assistant general manager. Doyle was also an assistant with the Team Canada East coaching staff for the 2012 World Jr. A Championships.

Urback:
Zac Urback is shifting over to work with general manager James Boyd and assistant GM Jan Egert on the hockey team management side.

Urback, a University of Western Ontario student, joined the Steelheads last year as coordinator of hockey analytics last year and will now work more closely with Boyd and Egert in evaluating players for trades and identifying free agents and prospects for the annual OHL Priority Selection Draft.

He was recently hired as an analytics consultant with the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche and will place primary focus on the analytical evaluation of OHL teams and players in his role with the Steelheads. Doyle was also an assistant with the Team Canada East coaching staff for the 2012 World Jr. A Championships.

Speak:
Speak, a computer science student at the University of Central Florida, is the prospect-stats.com and also partnered with Urback to create DEV (Draft Expected Value), a tool that analyzes CHL players and helps identify potential steals or busts among players have been drafted into the NHL or are in their draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad