OHL standings

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
How the OHL calculates team points for conference and division standings has changed. Both Windsor and Kitchener are tied with their division leaders - Saginaw and Erie but both have a game in hand on the division leaders. In the past the game in hand would put you in first place. That is not the case now. Does not mean much now but will going into the playoffs for home ice.

Anyone know how this is calculated and could you post a link to the new format or can you post an explanation for all to see? Any info would be appreciated.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
How the OHL calculates team points for conference and division standings has changed. Both Windsor and Kitchener are tied with their division leaders - Saginaw and Erie but both have a game in hand on the division leaders. In the past the game in hand would put you in first place. That is not the case now. Does not mean much now but will going into the playoffs for home ice.

Anyone know how this is calculated and could you post a link to the new format or can you post an explanation for all to see? Any info would be appreciated.

OHL Playoff Format and Tie-Breaking Procedures – Ontario Hockey League

First tiebreaker is wins, second tiebreaker is head-to-head, third tiebreaker is goals for/against.

At this point, when playing one extra game is still a ~15% difference, you'll see oddities like this.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...In the past the game in hand would put you in first place. That is not the case now. Does not mean much now but will going into the playoffs for home ice...
I don't get it...going into the playoffs, everyone should have 68 games played, and nobody would have a game-in-hand on anybody...???

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I don't get it...going into the playoffs, everyone should have 68 games played, and nobody would have a game-in-hand on anybody...???
Yes at the end of the year there would be no game in hand scenario. I'm just talking about the standings as they evolve during the year. If you look right now Saginaw has played 2 games more than anyone but with no head to head results and they have scored more goals than anyone they sit in first. Years past teams tied in points but had played less games would sit in first. Does it really mean anything, no really other than pride of being in first place and bragging rights. At the end of the year they all play 68 games and they have their head to head results so it works itself out.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Yes at the end of the year there would be no game in hand scenario. I'm just talking about the standings as they evolve during the year. If you look right now Saginaw has played 2 games more than anyone but with no head to head results and they have scored more goals than anyone they sit in first. Years past teams tied in points but had played less games would sit in first. Does it really mean anything, no really other than pride of being in first place and bragging rights. At the end of the year they all play 68 games and they have their head to head results so it works itself out.

That's exactly reason why I believe that standings watching at this point in the season are really mute.

Not because of the fact that these points aren't necessarily harder to obtain later on in the season but more because everyone is in the same position more or less. With everyone being there tied or a point separating them there's always standings jumping this early on in the season.

For a good example heading into yesterday's games Owen Sound was sitting in the bottom half of the standings in the conference with a single shootout win jumped into the top half of western conference.

Where standings are more important are at the 10,20,30,50,60, game marks of the season where as those are the most critical points on the season that play into final standings and playoff positioning. I agree that games in hand right now and all the math dose add into to some small part the same as head to head scenarios. But for right now those scenarios are really more media hype then season factors at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad