OHL ref suspended for tweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Too bad he got suspended for the season.. would have LOVED to see him ref another game here in the Soo, where we would have given him some good ol' Sault Ste. Marie razzing!

Reactions: Bearness

bidzey*

is it a personal tweeter account, or is it affiliated with the OHL. Ya I know... not a nice thing to say, but if it's a personal account, what is this? have we become communist now? We can't have opinions?

Funny thing is when I was at the Soo mall I was babe watching while having my coffee, you know what? I think I saw 2 in 1 hour of watching. Am I going to get in trouble now because I said that?

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
is it a personal tweeter account, or is it affiliated with the OHL. Ya I know... not a nice thing to say, but if it's a personal account, what is this? have we become communist now? We can't have opinions?

Funny thing is when I was at the Soo mall I was babe watching while having my coffee, you know what? I think I saw 2 in 1 hour of watching. Am I going to get in trouble now because I said that?

It is a personal account, yes he is entitled to his own opinion but he should keep that personal. Social media is available for everyone to see. What he said was wrong, and he works for the OHL so it is a bad representation especially for a league official. He should have been suspended but full season and playoffs seems kind of harsh. He has to look for new opportunity for revenue starting now, if he hasn't already.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

When you are a public figure representing your league it does matter. Referees have to be perfectly impartial and show respect for the players and cities they work in/with.

The fact is some jobs require more discretion than others. As an extreme example, the Prime Minister cannot behave like a construction worker (OK, maybe bad example ;) ).

bidzey*

It is a personal account, yes he is entitled to his own opinion but he should keep that personal. Social media is available for everyone to see. What he said was wrong, and he works for the OHL so it is a bad representation especially for a league official. He should have been suspended but full season and playoffs seems kind of harsh. He has to look for new opportunity for revenue starting now, if he hasn't already.

When you are a public figure representing your league it does matter. Referees have to be perfectly impartial and show respect for the players and cities they work in/with.

The fact is some jobs require more discretion than others. As an extreme example, the Prime Minister cannot behave like a construction worker (OK, maybe bad example ;) ).

you both make good points, but an OHL ref is far from a Prime Minister or any other prominent figure.

Maybe a better punishment would have been a blind date in the Soo.:sarcasm:
:laugh: I don't know which discipline I would take... that a tough one :laugh:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
The OHL has a social media policy in place. Its for teams, players, officials and anyone working within the OHL. Even if it is his personal twitter account he still has to abide by the policy.

IkeaMonkey*

Kinda related in terms of refs being idiots on social media...USHL ref,Johnathan Morrison , last season...

"@Scott, Why would I want to skate in CR when I can skate in Waterloo? You know, the original PartyTown, not RiderTown where their idea of a pregame is some strangely homo-erotic euro dance tune. Give me Buccaneer Arena/Young Arena or give me death."

The league's response? From head of officials Scott Brand himself...

"Oh by the way then there something is wrong with the league - I was at the game, and brought the crew a beer - great game last night by the teams and the Officials did a great job. 5th goal by the Hawks puck was loose- I was standing in the zamboni end, also talked with Hilibrandt the CR goalie, met his housing parents- great people. Crap like this cheapens a great rival and a great game. I have been in this league 27 seasons, when our guys suck I will be the 1st in line to let everyone know, I am going to go ahead and head to waterloo now to watch America's Team- the Black Hawks play the Bucs- a 2 hour and 5 minute dump and chase fest since it 3 for 4 and 3 in 3 days for both teams. And if any CR fan or other hockey expert wants to apply for the RIC of the league- I encourage you to apply. Then I will go back to being a GM- maybe in CR- sell out the building every game and get rid of the Viking dancing YMCA dancers after each goal- serious WTF is that- no wonder the officials dont want to see goals- who wants to see that video. See you at clover leaf by 11 "

Yes, the league's response was, "no wonder the officials don't want to see goals" because a certain team plays a...eccentric...video/song after a goal. Oh and the head of officials describes (his favorite) team as "America's team"

Guess what? Nothing was done to the ref or head of officiating. In FACT, league spokesperson, Brian Werger's response was...

This has been addressed. Although it was a private conversation between two people that was done in a joking manner, it is not the image that the USHL wants to portray. A mistake was made and the individuals involved acknowledge such and regret their error. Despite an intrusion on a private conversation, they understand that comments made in a social media platform can be misinterpreted from an outside view and they should not have put themselves in that position.

These individuals care deeply about the USHL and it is ridiculous that anyone would suggest there is any bias towards or against any USHL teams.

Again, the matter has been addressed and we now consider this matter closed.

The officials were stupid enough to have this conversation on Facebook and the league blames the fans for an "intrusion of privacy" and calls fans concerns "ridiculous". The USHL, folks.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

His job is to be impartial as a ref. By blasting a team/market, he's being anything but impartial and therefore the league clearly has the right to make a suspension.

snipes29

Sep 24, 2022

Impartial are you kidding me? They are always favouring one team over another

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
$200 a day plus expenses. Just like Jim Rockford :laugh:
Gotta love Jim Rockford!

It is sort of uncanny. I was thinking about that show a couple days ago and was going to try to see if it was available somewhere to stream it. I’d watch that series again.

BTW, we are showing our age…..

Reactions: 190 is almost 206

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

You can have an opinion, that doesn't excuse you from the consequences of that opinion. If his opinion had nothing to do with the OHL and was pro nazi it would have ended up with the same result. Regardless if you are on the clock or not you are still representing your employer and they have the right to act accordingly. Most people who make stupid comments like this on social media do it using a fake profile so it can't be traced back to them. This one went all in. Gets what he deserves.

It's got zero to do with communism, it's always been this way, social media just makes it more prominent.

Edit: holy crap... just realizing this thread is from 2013. Mods how about a lock?

Reactions: OHLTG

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That Petes fan just started a fight with someone over something said 9 years ago, that's hilarious.

Also, all time hashtag in that ref's tweet #allfaties with fatties not even spelled right
They must have eaten the other “t”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad