NHL Entry Draft: OHL Prospects - 2018 NHL Mock Draft (1st Round)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Third year that I've done a mock draft. As I always mention, while I cover the OHL extensively, I'm a hockey prospect nut in general and as such, have a fair amount of knowledge of the other players available.

Scouts seem to be universally in agreement that is a strong and deep draft year. A few potential franchise players available early. And potential high impact players available all the way into the mid second round. That said, there does seem to be a relative consensus for the players most likely taken in the Top 20 or so. There will always be surprises. Some years more than others. But this year, it just feels like everyone has a pretty good handle on most guys who will go early. It's that 20-31 range that seems quite unpredictable.

And well, because it's Vegas, I've got them winning the cup and selecting last (or at least Detroit with their pick).

Here's my first round mock draft.

1. Buffalo Sabres - Rasmus Dahlin (Frolunda, SHL)
At this point, this seems like a no brainer; Dahlin is the slam dunk first overall pick. Projected by some to be the next Nik Lidstrom, Dahlin will be deemed the savior of the Sabres franchise, who seem to be stuck in a rebuilding carousel. But Mittelstadt looks like a great pick at this point, and now they've added Dahlin. Could those two pieces be the key to progression for this once storied franchise? Was so incredibly impressed with Dahlin at the U18's, especially as a draft eligible player. I think the one thing that's not talked about enough is his size. This guy is 6'2 and possibly still growing. Can't wait to see what he does in the NHL next year.

2. Carolina Hurricanes - Andrei Svechnikov (Barrie, OHL)
Carolina definitely hit the jackpot winning the lottery and moving up into the 2nd spot where they can take Svechnikov. The Svech vs Zadina debate seems to have cooled a bit and it really appears almost set in stone that Svechnikov is the #2. He's the perfect hybrid for the way the game used to be played, and how it is played now. Has great size, but also dynamic skating ability. Has that killer instinct as a power winger and tremendous goal scoring potential. But his two-way game is underrated and could develop to the point of being elite IMO. Marian Hossa is the comparison that I've thrown around. It just so happens that he fits perfectly into Carolina's lineup. They've got a terrific young defense and some very talented young playmakers up front. But size and power from a guy who can drive possession on the wing is just what the doctor ordered. I think he can be a 30-30 guy next year in the NHL.

3. Montreal Canadiens - Filip Zadina (Halifax, QMJHL)
I know there has been a lot of talk lately about Montreal drafting someone other than Zadina; opting to take a center like Kotkaniemi instead. But I just don't think the Canadiens can pass up on what they have been gifted in Zadina. This is a team that looks to be on the cusp of a rebuild, who is working hard to overhaul their prospect cupboard. In that scenario, and when you're drafting in the top 3, you need to take the player you think can be the best and that seems to nearly unanimously be Zadina. And look, sure Montreal could use a franchise center. But they also had only two 20 goal scorers this past year. And if there's one thing Zadina can do, it's light the lamp. This kid is a dynamic goal scorer who also plays hard in all three zones and should be a long time NHL player and 30+ goal scorer.

4. Ottawa Senators - Oliver Wahlstrom (USDP, USHL)
Yes, I know that the Senators are faced with the task of dealing with the inevitable move of Erik Karlsson. Because of that, it seems like some people want the Senators to try and replace his ability to move the puck with one of the elite puck movers available. And Brady Tkachuk seems like a potential pick too because of the intensity level he plays with. But I think Wahlstrom is the 4th best player available this year, and I think his goal scoring potential fits in extremely well with what Ottawa is building. That is, of course, if you see him on the wing and not down the middle, like I do. I look at guys like Logan Brown and Colin White, possession based centers who will need that trigger man in the future. And the one thing this draft has a lot of is quality defense prospects. The Sens choose again at 22 in the first and can likely find a quality defender there. But they won't find a potential top line forward in Wahlstrom.

5. Arizona Coyotes - Noah Dobson (Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL)
It does seem likely that the Coyotes go defense at #5. When they've drafted high (in the lottery), they've gone forward in recent years and the depth they have up front is insane right now. But on the backend, it's a different story. Jakob Chychrun is just starting to find himself after some injury issues and OEL isn't getting any younger. The question is, what defender do they go with? The elite skating, but undersized Quinn Hughes? The poised and confident Evan Bouchard? The athletic and dynamic Adam Boqvist? It could be any of those. But I put my money on Noah Dobson. He had a heck of a QMJHL playoffs and Memorial Cup and looks like a potential Alex Pietrangelo type of defender at the NHL level. And while the Coyotes would love to have a dynamic puck mover on the backend, I think Dobson is the best of the bunch in his own end and that two-way ability fits in very well with what they currently they have and need.

Here's the link to the rest:
OHL Prospects: 2018 NHL Mock Draft

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I like that you have Wahlstrom and Dobson at 4/5, because I think barring a surprise drop from the top 3 or a trade, Ottawa's choice would come down to those two.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I like that you have Wahlstrom and Dobson at 4/5, because I think barring a surprise drop from the top 3 or a trade, Ottawa's choice would come down to those two.

I think logically, it makes sense. The two obvious wild cards are the Montreal Canadiens and Brady Tkachuk. The Canadiens throw a wrench into everything if they pass on Zadina at 3 (which seems to be rumoured after Zadina's comments). Then that probably means that Ottawa goes with Zadina. The other wild card is Tkachuk. The guy that every arm chair scout seems to want their team to avoid, yet he remains a mainstay in almost every top 4 ranking out there by those that cover the draft. Someone is going to take this kid early and it could even be Montreal or Ottawa at 3/4.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Your top 10-11 look good. Then it falls off a cliff in my opinion. Highly doubt Sandin goes that high. Highly doubt Veleno goes that low.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Ive been reading your mock draft material for years (thought it had been more than 3 tbh). Kudos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad