OHL Power Rankings (Week 3)

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks Bobber, poor choice of words on my part in regards to MacInnis. I more or less mean I would like to see him be more impactful on a consistent bases. He's been good in some of my viewings and completely invisible in some. With that being said, he has picked up assists in some of those viewings where I thought he was very quite.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Thanks Bobber, poor choice of words on my part in regards to MacInnis. I more or less mean I would like to see him be more impactful on a consistent bases. He's been good in some of my viewings and completely invisible in some. With that being said, he has picked up assists in some of those viewings where I thought he was very quite.
I totally agree. Ryan needs to step up more in games. He has it in him to dominate some teams.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
OTownApologist - Your Correct, I miss read the score on that game. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bobber - Agree with you, I've seen him dominate and that's what frustrates me the most about him. I know it's in him like you mentioned. Hopefully he find consistency this year, as you have to assume he has an outside shot at the American WJC team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa beat Windsor in OT on Thursday. So they went 2-1, not 1-1...all on the road.

They are also 6-1 in their last 7 after losing their first three.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Guys its a 5000 word article, I have no editor.. give me a break. For the 4 or 5 mistakes in the article there's also probably 20 solid points that many people would otherwise have know clue about. Would you prefer to read the bull that sportsnet puts out, were their writers state the fact they don't watch games. I'm a former player and current scout, I'm not a professional writer with a journalism degree I do this to get more exposure to the OHL game and for fans that dig and dig for info an get find it.

In all seriousness if you want to knit pick, we need an editor, volunteer. I'm completely genuine in asking that, I don't have time to proof read six articles a day on top of a day job and scouting.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Fair enough. You should know though that when you don't edit, it reflects poorly on your work. Whether you like it or not, it's the truth. When you don't take the time to correct that kind of thing, it kind of takes away from whatever good observations there may actually be.

Right or wrong, if I am reading an article and it starts out with spelling errors, or unchecked facts, I pretty much just ignore the whole article assuming that if you couldn't be bothered to fact check or proofread, why should I trust what's in the article itself.

Perhaps that's on me. I dunno.

Anyway, good luck with the articles.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Fair enough. You should know though that when you don't edit, it reflects poorly on your work. Whether you like it or not, it's the truth. When you don't take the time to correct that kind of thing, it kind of takes away from whatever good observations there may actually be.

Right or wrong, if I am reading an article and it starts out with spelling errors, or unchecked facts, I pretty much just ignore the whole article assuming that if you couldn't be bothered to fact check or proofread, why should I trust what's in the article itself.

Perhaps that's on me. I dunno.

Anyway, good luck with the articles.

Agreed.

When I read the article I'm not thinking about "Gee this guy probably has other stuff going on", I think about the spelling and statistical mistakes.

Not knocking your work Macker. I like your articles. Just saying if you are going to write you should find time to proofread or find an editor. It reflects poorly.

I wouldn't take it as a slight against your work Macker...some very astute observations and an overall good read. What I will put forth is this...would you hand something to your peers as a Scout to read with the same errors and not expect them to at least say..."wow your spelling is horrible?" Again..not a slight..but it does come off as a little bit bush league with those errors. You do great work...keep it up...but spell check is your friend ;)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Guys its a 5000 word article, I have no editor.. give me a break. For the 4 or 5 mistakes in the article there's also probably 20 solid points that many people would otherwise have know clue about. Would you prefer to read the bull that sportsnet puts out, were their writers state the fact they don't watch games. I'm a former player and current scout, I'm not a professional writer with a journalism degree I do this to get more exposure to the OHL game and for fans that dig and dig for info an get find it.

In all seriousness if you want to knit pick, we need an editor, volunteer. I'm completely genuine in asking that, I don't have time to proof read six articles a day on top of a day job and scouting.

First, I don't think anyone is attacking you at all. I think each person on here that contributes to the board by way of posting is adding insight. In many cases that insight adds to the overall knowledge base of the fans that view that portion of the forum. In this case, it is the Ontario Hockey League.

I like reading power rankings and such because it allows me an opportunity to gain insight on other teams that I simply don't have a means of accessing otherwise.

I am a 67's fan. As such, I have access to additional information afforded to me in this marketplace through local media and discussions with local fans.

When I suggested the 67's had won 2 of 3 on the road instead of your reported 1 of 2 on the road, it was not meant as an insult. I was correcting as a means to inform other fans of the stat error. I also added that the 67's had won 6 of their last 7 as a means of adding to the discussion. Maybe it adds insight that could be reflected in future rankings. Who knows.

Personally, I don't need nor want someone calling me out on a forum for adding to discussion especially if it is someone defending their work.

If your aim is to post the power rankings with no additional discussion which could potentially include pointing out major statistical errors like the record for a week (which normally wouldn't be a major error but since this is a weekly power rankings, it is probably one of the most important stats for the week), then approach the moderator of the site and ask to have it locked for no discussion.

If you post your work on a site like this, you need to expect there are people out there that may not only correct your work but also disagree with your opinions and assessments, not to mention your rankings.

I appreciate the work people like you do to add to the knowledge base of fans like me. In the beginning stages of Hockey's Future, I wrote a few articles and also prepared an NHL Draft Rankings and profiles for the OHL eligible players (1999). I know how much work that can be so I appreciate the efforts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad