OHL Officiating

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I'm going to open up Pandora's Box here. I follow a lot of threads during both regular season and during the entire playoffs. Lots of comments on officiating from all - it's to be expected that the fans of a team that lost may jump on the officiating sometimes as an excuse, but I'm also seeing a lot of mutual agreement between fan bases on the officiating of games - good or bad. The main trend I also see is when I check the game sheets of games where complaints are higher than usual - seems to be that the same culprits enforcing the rules are always involved. I'll open this up to discussion now - any thoughts on whether it is a select number of officials that cause games to go off the rails, or whether it is the entire collective? Discuss.....

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I'm going to open up Pandora's Box here. I follow a lot of threads during both regular season and during the entire playoffs. Lots of comments on officiating from all - it's to be expected that the fans of a team that lost may jump on the officiating sometimes as an excuse, but I'm also seeing a lot of mutual agreement between fan bases on the officiating of games - good or bad. The main trend I also see is when I check the game sheets of games where complaints are higher than usual - seems to be that the same culprits enforcing the rules are always involved. I'll open this up to discussion now - any thoughts on whether it is a select number of officials that cause games to go off the rails, or whether it is the entire collective? Discuss.....

Got to remember this is a development league for both players and officials alike.

I don't mind that refs make mistakes...I really don't. I just would like them to be consistent in making bad calls. I don't care if a certain official likes to call hard slashes more than others do, just keep it consistent between teams and over the course of the season.

It's also about accountability for me too. If the same officials are making the same mistakes over and over, they should be reprimanded in some way. Right now, there seems to be 0 accountability. Should be just like players and suspensions. Make a mistake once, league often gives the benefit of the doubt...continue to make that same mistake, and the punishment gets larger and larger.

I happen to think much of the complaining is as a result of fans looking for something to blame a loss on and is blown way out of proportion.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Like any league, there are good and bad officials. The CHL is a development league for players, but also for officials.

Unfortunately for the CHL, much like players, as soon as an official is good, he's gone to upper leagues.

I don't think anyone is happy with the officiating, mostly due to inconsistency - players, coaches and fans have no idea what is a penalty at any point during a game or during the season. That makes it extremely difficult. It also lends itself to accusations of bias and favouritism, when in reality, it may be just a crappy call or non-call.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
As fans we complain about refs even in the NHL. Refs are easy targets. Go to a minor house league hockey game that means nothing and listen to parents. They can't keep refs. OHL refs miss calls or let stuff go in every game. It helps to get the fans into games. There is an old saying" Black and white and always right":) Complaining is just something the majority of us do when it comes to refs. Most of the time they get it right.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Officiating is complained about in every league, in every sport. It's a cop-out

As far as accountability goes, it's out there, you just rarely hear about it because leagues don't want to put a target on the back on one of their officials

This.

chriscoutu

Oct 13, 2014
Oakville
Best of the Best

How does everyone feel about Scott Oakman ? I have been disgusted by his officiating since 2010. I think he has an ego problem and takes over every game he refs.

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
There is no doubt that there is some bad officiating in the OHL.

The real question is this; is it good enough for the league?

I probably go to more 'neutral' venue games in a year than most people - sitting in the stands, with no vested interest in who wins is quite interesting. Fans for the home team want (expressed verbally) penalties for minor touches and moan at obvious penalties for their team. When the home team loses, it is the ref's fault, obviously because the crowd gripped about every call.

Some people would seriously be shocked at what they would look like on camera with their behaviour - I really wonder what motivates people to act like they do or maybe the question should be how pathetic is their life to act this way. It is also interesting to hear how many calls the fans get wrong and how uneducated the average fan is on the rules.

Had most of these people taken two minutes to look at the situation in an unbiased manner they would understand just how difficult the job is and how the vast majority of the games are officiated very well. The fact is that even when you have instant replay, there are still calls that remain in dispute. Think about it, several people looking at a play in slow motion from different angles and there still isn't a definitive answer.

Now take the 'penalty' call. There isn't a 'distinct line' as in a call for a goal or off side. People (leagues, commentators, players, coaches, fans) can't even agree before a game what the so called line is - yet fans feel qualified to 'rate' the consistency of calls. The fact is that in any game there may be a hundred potential penalties by someone making a very strict interpretation of the rule book - others may only see ten. The fact is that after all the doomsday predictions from the introduction of the two ref system, the refereeing is much more consistent now. Games are much more in control - penalties away from the puck are much more consistently and fairly called. And this is the goal for a ref - control the game, make the game about hockey skills and team play, not about intimidation.

Really, if you look at the level of refereeing in the OHL, the quality matches or even exceeds the other people in the game. There is some terrible coaching, some bad players and some pathetic game day programs from some clubs. From neutral games I watch I would estimate that at least 9 / 10 are well officiated - Of the 1 /10 that isn't, I would say at least 50% of the time the winning team got the short end of the calls. Of the now 1 / 20 game that the losing team got the short end of the calls, I would estimate that only 1 /5 made a difference in the game - meaning that maybe one game per year might be decided by the ref, but you would have the same statistic in the opposite direction - winning a game you really didn't deserve.

I have to chuckle at the bitter people saying McDavid gets special treatment - what a joke. If anything the special treatment is the extra that the opposing teams gets away with. Almost every game there a probably 3 to 5 additional penalties that could be called - interference and holding especially.

One thing is for sure - people won't stop complaining and blaming the refs.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Great post fanofdo.

It amazes me when a large number of the fans at EIA Boo the refs as soon as they step on the ice before the game has even started. What a way to get them motivated to call a good game.......

All the bad years that Erie had was just the Refs picking on the team, the refs hated traveling down here, the league didn't want a team so far South, etc. Just excuses.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Great post fanofdo.

It amazes me when a large number of the fans at EIA Boo the refs as soon as they step on the ice before the game has even started. What a way to get them motivated to call a good game.......

All the bad years that Erie had was just the Refs picking on the team, the refs hated traveling down here, the league didn't want a team so far South, etc. Just excuses.

What is amazing is all the conspiracy theories that fans come up with. They make the Kennedy assassination look like child's play. Branch with his golden turban on looking into a misty pool directing the referees he sees in the reflection while his beady eyed minions look on grinning. It doesn't matter what league it is hockey fans will always ***** about the refs. We all do it at times. It's like politics. No one wins the argument. It's simple really. If your team loses its the refs. If your team wins the other fans are whiners. It's a human thing. Monkeys don't care.:)

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I can forgive the judgment errors on whether penalties are or are not called -- after all, this is a developmental league for the officials, too (as has been said by others above). The items that bother me more are the procedural errors that occur due to a lack of understanding of the rules by the officials. Over the years, I have seen faceoffs taken in the wrong zone, coincidental penalties incorrectly applied, players let out of the penalty box incorrectly when multiple overlapping penalties are being served, etc. During a Whalers game this year where the Plymouth coach messed up the lineup card, the officials also messed up how it was supposed to be handled per OHL rules (I had to look up the rule afterwards, too). It can be entertaining, though, as you almost never see those things happen in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad