OHL Bulldogs is Habs junior team?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
My impression is that the guy who bought the team (or whoever spoke to Lavoie) is kind of making a bigger deal than it really is. I doubt management truly has a grand master plan to bring guys over to the OHL to "develop" them.

First of all, they'll draft so few of them on OHL territory. Also, odds are tha they'll have been drafted by another team as they came out of midget or high school hockey at 15 years old. How can the Habs have any idea at this point who they're going to draft? Besides, the main preoccupation of the GM in place will be to build a good team. That alone will be hard enough. No need to try to figure who the Habs might be interested in 3 years from now. Not only that but junior hockey is not all about developing hockey skills and whatnot. A lot more teaching goes on there. At the pro level you can tell guys to do this, this and that all the while singing a song or what have you. Junior kids don't execute juste like that. A lot more teaching (patience) involved.

So, I seriously doubt an NHL team would go on to buy a team to maybe develop 1 or 2 players every what? 5 years if not more? Sounds more to me like someone is trying to build some form of credibility for the team with the Habs somehow being involved in the thing. Also, teams have scouts following the players they drafted already. Would be quite a bit cheaper to simply hire a few more people to track their prospects than it would be to buy a team and hope maybe you can attract 1 or 2 players once in a while.

My 2 cents.

Good post,

And also those players would be fair game. Sure we could plug our draftee's on th team but we might as well wait a year or two and send them to the AHL.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
For prospects whose rights already belong to another CHL club, could the Habs and that player perhaps persuade the club in question to trade their rights to Hamilton? Is that maybe what they're getting at?

In theory, I mean. Would it be legal to do? Obviously a bit unethical.

We could bust some leafs prospect :naughty:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You guys just don't get it.

Bergevin wants to develop a whole infrastructure where he can develop undrafted talentless grinders, 4-5th liners and bottom pairing dmen. :laugh:

You should all be embarrassed for not getting it right away. :sarcasm:

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Don't know if somebody can link that little article written by Renaud Lavoie in the "Journal de Montréal" today or if I even read that correctly.....But there is a small piece of article when Lavoie is talking about the fact that since Andlauer, who is partially a Habs owner, has now a OHL team with the Bulldogs, that this team will serve as a junior team....for the Habs. That if the Habs sign a US player and can convince him to join the OHL....that they will send him there....Am I missing something? Aren't they just all going to the draft and every team can pick them? Is Lavoie smoking something? Or am I?

Thanks.

yup!!! he's high as f... it just doesn't make sense, for ex.:McCarron's rights were owned by london before we drafted him but the habs could just send him to hamilton instead... no way. that's not how it works

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought Andlauer sold his shares of the Habs?

I haven't really followed the story but my understanding was that Andlauer only sold his AHL shares and is still a part owner of the Habs but I don't care enough to look it up so I could be wrong.

yup!!! he's high as f... it just doesn't make sense, for ex.:McCarron's rights were owned by london before we drafted him but the habs could just send him to hamilton instead... no way. that's not how it works

Are you trying to say that we couldn't have sent McCarron to Hamilton instead of the OHL? Could they were able to.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
There seems to be lots of confusion here regarding how the CHL works. As someone who's had season tickets to the local OHL team for many years, let me assure everyone that it is not possible within the current structure of the CHL to have one franchise be a farm team to a single NHL club.

Basically, Canadian and American prospects of any note get drafted into the CHL at 16 years of age -- based on territories prospects are eligible for just one of the three CHL leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL). On rare occasions, a prospect can apply for exceptional status and be drafted at 15 (McDavid, Tavares, etc.). Canadian prospects almost always sign with their CHL team immediately upon being offered a contract. American kids, though, will quite often delay signing with their CHL team and instead start with the US National Development Team Program. They do this because signing a CHL contract prohibits them from playing NCAA hockey, so playing for the USNDTP keeps their options open. However, the CHL franchise that drafted the player still retains the player's CHL rights.

Any prospect under a CHL contract when drafted by an NHL team can only play in either the NHL or CHL until his CHL eligibility is exhausted -- such players cannot play in the AHL. Prospects who sign a CHL contract AFTER being drafted by the NHL, however, have the option of playing anywhere while still having CHL eligibility. However, that player's CHL rights are still owned by whichever CHL drafted him. Prospects will occasionally use an NCAA scholarship offer to leverage a trade to another team within the same CHL league (there are no trades between the WHL and OHL, for example), but usually they end up either going to the CHL team that drafted them or to the NCAA.

So, basically, each CHL team ends up with a collection of players drafted by many different NHL teams, along with players who are not yet eligible for the NHL Draft, and players who go undrafted by the NHL.

Dec 8, 2014
You guys just don't get it.

Bergevin wants to develop a whole infrastructure where he can develop undrafted talentless grinders, 4-5th liners and bottom pairing dmen. :laugh:

You should all be embarrassed for not getting it right away. :sarcasm:

He should buy more teams in the chl then. :laugh:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
They are really going all in with Michel **** system eh? :help:

It's not Michel's system, it's the same system that won the cup in 1993. There are not 20 systems in the NHL, maybe 5, so I'm sure many other teams play in about the same ways. (NJ and Minny being obvious clones.)

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
There seems to be lots of confusion here regarding how the CHL works. As someone who's had season tickets to the local OHL team for many years, let me assure everyone that it is not possible within the current structure of the CHL to have one franchise be a farm team to a single NHL club.

Basically, Canadian and American prospects of any note get drafted into the CHL at 16 years of age -- based on territories prospects are eligible for just one of the three CHL leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL). On rare occasions, a prospect can apply for exceptional status and be drafted at 15 (McDavid, Tavares, etc.). Canadian prospects almost always sign with their CHL team immediately upon being offered a contract. American kids, though, will quite often delay signing with their CHL team and instead start with the US National Development Team Program. They do this because signing a CHL contract prohibits them from playing NCAA hockey, so playing for the USNDTP keeps their options open. However, the CHL franchise that drafted the player still retains the player's CHL rights.

Any prospect under a CHL contract when drafted by an NHL team can only play in either the NHL or CHL until his CHL eligibility is exhausted -- such players cannot play in the AHL. Prospects who sign a CHL contract AFTER being drafted by the NHL, however, have the option of playing anywhere while still having CHL eligibility. However, that player's CHL rights are still owned by whichever CHL drafted him. Prospects will occasionally use an NCAA scholarship offer to leverage a trade to another team within the same CHL league (there are no trades between the WHL and OHL, for example), but usually they end up either going to the CHL team that drafted them or to the NCAA.

So, basically, each CHL team ends up with a collection of players drafted by many different NHL teams, along with players who are not yet eligible for the NHL Draft, and players who go undrafted by the NHL.

We are all aware how the CHL works lol.

I think that the article is either a) bogus, or b) the Habs are trying to use Hamilton as a team to entice Euro & Ameircan players over if anything. So if a Euro has no CHL affiliation, the Habs would entice him to sign with the Bulldogs so that he can play in a familiar/logical system for the Habs future.

Mag1328

Aug 9, 2006
The Oilers own the Oil Kings so there's a precedent, but the Canadiens haven't pitched in a dime in the Bulldogs transaction. It's all Andlauer.
Andlauer still has his shares in the Canadiens.
Habs will be allowed to access all the information concerning Bulldogs players, but not the scouting reports on other players. But that doesn't mean much: Timmins can talk to any CHL scout he wants whenever he wants.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The Oilers own the Oil Kings so there's a precedent, but the Canadiens haven't pitched in a dime in the Bulldogs transaction. It's all Andlauer.
Habs will be allowed to access all the information concerning Bulldogs players, but not the scouting reports on other players. But that doesn't mean much: Timmins can talk to any CHL scout he wants whenever he wants.

Merci Marc-Antoine. It's Renaud who's pretty much misinformed.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Just because the Oilers own a CHL franchise does not make it a farm team of the Oilers. Looking at the Oil Kings roster, only two Oilers draft picks since 2009 have played for the WHL club. Similarly, until this offseason, Peter Karmanos owned both the Carolina Hurricanes and Plymouth Whalers of the OHL (he just sold the Whalers). The vast majority of Whaler players over the years who were NHL draft picks were the property of teams other than Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad