OHL Announces 2015-16 Rule Changes

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Should make for some interesting OT periods with alot more open ice.

I'm also a fan of the no change icing; about time they introduced that!

Too bad they didn't have this last year. Mcdavid , one of debrincat/baptsite/Strome, and Dermott would have probably been unstobable

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
I noticed in last nights game London vs Sarnia there were a few neutral zone icings that they didn't allow changes on. It seemed like the linesmen weren't sure what side of the blueline the puck came from and went with the safe play of no change. Like any new rule I am sure there will be an adjustment period for both teams and officials and hopefully by early in the season everyone will get used to it. The nice part is come Memorial cup time all 3 leagues will be using the same procedure so the adjustment time won't be in the most important game of these teams seasons. I do however think they just need to make the rules uniform across the CHL, I am not sure if it has changed again but I know the Q had eliminated the trapezoid. It doesn't make sense to me how 3 leagues under the same umbrella all play with their own rules, how can you allow a goalie to play a puck in the corner all year and then expect him just to stop for a tournament?

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I'm happy they've brought the icing rule in. I'm tired of watching London Dmen ice the puck for no reason and gives Dale and easy out for not being able to coach the defensive side of the game.

I've also never understood why 3 leagues all played by different rules.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The argument people always use is "three leagues, not one" and "there are laws in the various states, even though they're in the same country." In a way, baseball is the same - DH in AL, no DH in NL. It should be the same, but...

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
The argument people always use is "three leagues, not one" and "there are laws in the various states, even though they're in the same country." In a way, baseball is the same - DH in AL, no DH in NL. It should be the same, but...

Yes but when it comes time for playoffs (MLB vs Memorial Cup) the rules continue. Memorial Cup goes to one set of rules. Plus there is interleague play in baseball so everyone plays the same games every year. There is no OHL vs Q or W vs Q in the regular season.

It's a development league those rules should resemble what is being played at the high levels.. sure a few tweeks to see how ideas play out but stuff that affects the game in a championship level is silly IMO.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I recall when the NHL first went to no-change icing the OHL was contemplating following suit. I believe they even played a few exhibition games using no-change. I know the sentiment on the NOOF was "These are kids, they should be allowed to change"

I am glad they went with this rule, even if it is a hybrid of sorts.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I recall when the NHL first went to no-change icing the OHL was contemplating following suit. I believe they even played a few exhibition games using no-change. I know the sentiment on the NOOF was "These are kids, they should be allowed to change"

I am glad they went with this rule, even if it is a hybrid of sorts.

Brian Kilrea set forth his arguement regarding the no change icing rule. It hampers the development of young players. I believe this. When you have mismatch lines in the OHL with 19 year olds pitted agaisnt 16 year olds, it means that the 16 year olds can't have the opportunity to clear the zone by icing the puck and return the balance.

All we will see is 16 year olds reduce their ice time. The visiting team will never play their 4th line in the opposition rinks. A good coach that cares only about wins will never place his team in the position of not being able to get his 4th line off the ice. So, unless the score is loppsided, the weaker lines will now never play any minutes, thus stunting the development of players and reducing the overall skill on the ice over time.

Imagine now, a 4th line of predominently 16 and 17 year olds get hemmed in their own zone and they ice the puck. They have to stay on the ice and the opposition coach throws on his 1st line of scoring studs. The young line has zero chance of defending. If you were a coach, how often will you now play your young kids with the risk of that happening? I wouldn't.

Well done OHL. Morons.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Brian Kilrea set forth his arguement regarding the no change icing rule. It hampers the development of young players. I believe this. When you have mismatch lines in the OHL with 19 year olds pitted agaisnt 16 year olds, it means that the 16 year olds can't have the opportunity to clear the zone by icing the puck and return the balance.

All we will see is 16 year olds reduce their ice time. The visiting team will never play their 4th line in the opposition rinks. A good coach that cares only about wins will never place his team in the position of not being able to get his 4th line off the ice. So, unless the score is loppsided, the weaker lines will now never play any minutes, thus stunting the development of players and reducing the overall skill on the ice over time.

Imagine now, a 4th line of predominently 16 and 17 year olds get hemmed in their own zone and they ice the puck. They have to stay on the ice and the opposition coach throws on his 1st line of scoring studs. The young line has zero chance of defending. If you were a coach, how often will you now play your young kids with the risk of that happening? I wouldn't.

Well done OHL. Morons.

Ya, I am not buying into "The Sky is falling" mentality. Kids will learn to play the game slightly different and they will be better players for it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ya, I am not buying into "The Sky is falling" mentality. Kids will learn to play the game slightly different and they will be better players for it.

Simply put, they won't get the opportunity.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The QMJHL and WHL both have the no change icing rule in place and they seem to develop players just fine.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I wish the chl would just use nhl rules. Let the ahl, the nhl's development league play with experimental rules and gimmicks.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I wish the chl would just use nhl rules. Let the ahl, the nhl's development league play with experimental rules and gimmicks.

the only rule change here that doesn't align with the NHL is how faceoffs are conducted. The NHL has been no change icing for as long as I can remember and are going 3 on 3 OT this season.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would rather they play 4 on 4 for 10 minutes and if it's still a tie than it's a tie

I am fine with that. People say the shootout isn't real hockey but since when is 3 on 3 real hockey? 3 on 3 hockey is the rarest form of hockey during a game but they think this is a good idea?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Which means less hitting.

After 60 minutes of regulation, just designate two guys to skate to centre ice, drop gloves, helmets,a nd elbow pads, upclip the jersey's and the first one to hit the ice loses the game.

That is more a part of hockey than 3 on 3 play is.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Maybe in the 1980s when we had line brawls every night.

I don't think 3 on 3 is a perfect solution but I'd much rather see a game end 3 on 3 than in the shootout.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Maybe in the 1980s when we had line brawls every night.

I don't think 3 on 3 is a perfect solution but I'd much rather see a game end 3 on 3 than in the shootout.

3 on 3 just seems like a gimmick to me. Maybe in basketball OT should go from 5 on 5 to 3 on 3. How about football OT instead of 11 on 11 we go 7 on 7.

At least you admit it really isn't a perfect solution.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There isn't one way that's going to appease every fan. Some want 5-on-5, some want 4-on-4, some accept 3-on-3. Heck, I didn't mind the shoot-out. They go with what's exciting and what is likely to end the game in the best possible way. Nobody really wants to see a tie, so they try different things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad