OHL 2019 and Forward

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
When will the CHL/OHL and CHL/OHL teams step into the 21st century and hire a woman assistant coach, coach or GM for a team? There are more than enough qualified woman for these positions just need the "old boys club " to break down and give them a chance. Imagine bringing in a whole new fan base of young female hockey players that now see there is somewhere to take their hockey playing skills after they finish their hockey career. Thoughts?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
When will the CHL/OHL and CHL/OHL teams step into the 21st century and hire a woman assistant coach, coach or GM for a team? There are more than enough qualified woman for these positions just need the "old boys club " to break down and give them a chance. Imagine bringing in a whole new fan base of young female hockey players that now see there is somewhere to take their hockey playing skills after they finish their hockey career. Thoughts?

Good point outsider, I'm in the belief that gender shouldn't play a factor in decisions for hockey ops. If a woman is qualified for the job and can be successful then it shouldn't matter what the gender is. There has been several cases of women being on teams staff over the years as ATs or dentists, trainers etc. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least that as the direction of the league is heading towards an equal opportunity for women to be part of CHL teams in the coming years.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Shannon Miller would be #1 on my list.

Besides being an extraordinary coach, she’s in a personal financial position to focus on doing what’s right without fear of unemployment.

She’s got world class hockey acumen, guts, and a coaching record in NCAA and international contexts that is second to absolutely no one.

Reactions: LDN

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Good point outsider, I'm in the belief that gender shouldn't play a factor in decisions for hockey ops. If a woman is qualified for the job and can be successful then it shouldn't matter what the gender is. There has been several cases of women being on teams staff over the years as ATs or dentists, trainers etc. So it wouldn't surprise me in the least that as the direction of the league is heading towards an equal opportunity for women to be part of CHL teams in the coming years.

But a woman isn't "qualified for the job" until someone gives her a chance. Because until that happens, never will she have OHL experience or pro hockey coaching experience. Someone needs to break the mould in order for that to change

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
But a woman isn't "qualified for the job" until someone gives her a chance. Because until that happens, never will she have OHL experience or pro hockey coaching experience. Someone needs to break the mould in order for that to change

Many coaches get hired to coach in the OHL without having previous experience. We find out whether they are qualified or not based on how they do as an OHL coach.

I'm all for the best candidate available no matter gender, race, etc etc etc. As an OHL fan, I want my team to win period.

But I'm not for awarding a job to someone just because it's the 21st century and it's time. But if that person is the best qualified. Then I'm all for it!!!

Reactions: WaW and Finster8

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think the pressure should be put on minor hockey organizations for female coaches. almost every coach that didn’t play pro hockey has to start off there, and that’s where a lot of junior hockey teams, whether it be a CHL team or not, are getting their assistant coaches and having them work their way up.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
I think the pressure should be put on minor hockey organizations for female coaches. almost every coach that didn’t play pro hockey has to start off there, and that’s where a lot of junior hockey teams, whether it be a CHL team or not, are getting their assistant coaches and having them work their way up.
Hockey Canada alone had over 7,000 female coaches in 2016 (I don’t know the 2018/19 figures). The problem isn’t a lack of female coaches in the developmental/youth levels. The problem is that they do not apply for CHL jobs and/or are not recruited by CHL teams to fill coaching vacancies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Hockey Canada alone had over 7,000 female coaches in 2016 (I don’t know the 2018/19 figures). The problem isn’t a lack of female coaches in the developmental/youth levels. The problem is that they do not apply for CHL jobs and/or are not recruited by CHL teams to fill coaching vacancies.

how many of them are coaching AAA teams though

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Many coaches get hired to coach in the OHL without having previous experience. We find out whether they are qualified or not based on how they do as an OHL coach.

I'm all for the best candidate available no matter gender, race, etc etc etc. As an OHL fan, I want my team to win period.

But I'm not for awarding a job to someone just because it's the 21st century and it's time. But if that person is the best qualified. Then I'm all for it!!!
I'm all for best candidate etc etc. Problem is there are more than enough qualified women in the field but they are not finding a way to open that last door. Maybe they are not applying, who knows, but more likely they don't think they have a shot. Again only speculation on my part.

The Memorial Cup host from Sportsnet was a lady and she did a bang up job. Caroline Cameron I believe her name is.

There are lots of men that coach girls/ladies hockey - why not the other way around?

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
During the Sarnia/London pre-season exhibition game, I noticed that the Sting have a young, attractive female trainer or assistant trainer. I mentioned this to a fellow fan, and his comment was: " Sarnia's team will probably experience an epidemic of pulled groins this upcoming season."

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
During the Sarnia/London pre-season exhibition game, I noticed that the Sting have a young, attractive female trainer or assistant trainer. I mentioned this to a fellow fan, and his comment was: " Sarnia's team will probably experience an epidemic of pulled groins this upcoming season."

She's been there for a couple years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad