Proposal: Offseason Trade

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Eriksson Ek is pretty much untouchable unless the overpaying is brutal. At the worst end he is one of the top shutdown 3rd line Cs in the league. At the ceiling he is a future top 6 Center.

he is still only 23 and I believe we haven’t seen the best of him yet.
I think in an ideal world, he’s a 40 point, selke-caliber 3C. Don’t see the offense there without PP time for more than that, though he could prove to deserve PP time as things progress.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
with what?

The only reason Ek doesn't play the PP already is because he plays the PK and ES against top lines, playing the PP as well would mean he leads the forwards in minutes.

Koivu got 1.5 minutes, Galchenyuk got 2, Luke Johnson got over half a minute. I'm absolutely certain we could find a spot for Ek on the PP and he wouldn't be the worst offensive player we put there this year.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
with what?
Am I the only one that picked up an innuendo?

tumblr_inline_ms2pxgl4HW1qz4rgp.gif

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The only reason Ek doesn't play the PP already is because he plays the PK and ES against top lines, playing the PP as well would mean he leads the forwards in minutes.

Koivu got 1.5 minutes, Galchenyuk got 2, Luke Johnson got over half a minute. I'm absolutely certain we could find a spot for Ek on the PP and he wouldn't be the worst offensive player we put there this year.
I'm sure that part is true. Still doesn't mean you want a guy like Ek anywhere near your PP

Production
Production comes from talent. What role are you using Ek in on your PP?

Reactions: GumbyCan2

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I'm sure that part is true. Still doesn't mean you want a guy like Ek anywhere near your PP

Production comes from talent. What role are you using Ek in on your PP?
It would have to be some sort of net-front role

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It would have to be some sort of net-front role
Because he doesn't really have the puck skills, passing, or shot to play any other role. But, what would make him good at the net front role? His ability to play with his stick upside down? :facepalm:

I get that just about every players numbers would be better if given a bunch of PP time. That doesn't mean that every player should be given a bunch of PP time. Some guys are just not likely to ever be anything more than very good 3rd liners. I think the Wild have 3 of those guys right now. I think all 3 of Greenway, Ek, and Kunin can probably give you quality minutes on a top 6 line without really hurting your team, but none will ever more valuable in the top 6 as they would be as shutdown 3rd liners. Kunin could be an exception if he ever learns how to catch a pass.

Playing a guy like Ek between guys like Zuccarello, Kaprizov, or Fiala would be great in their own end. It would probably lead to spending quite a bit more time on offense. The only problem is that the amount of plays that would die because of Ek's lack of skill would more than offset any defense that he plays.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Because he doesn't really have the puck skills, passing, or shot to play any other role. But, what would make him good at the net front role? His ability to play with his stick upside down? :facepalm:

I get that just about every players numbers would be better if given a bunch of PP time. That doesn't mean that every player should be given a bunch of PP time. Some guys are just not likely to ever be anything more than very good 3rd liners. I think the Wild have 3 of those guys right now. I think all 3 of Greenway, Ek, and Kunin can probably give you quality minutes on a top 6 line without really hurting your team, but none will ever more valuable in the top 6 as they would be as shutdown 3rd liners. Kunin could be an exception if he ever learns how to catch a pass.

Playing a guy like Ek between guys like Zuccarello, Kaprizov, or Fiala would be great in their own end. It would probably lead to spending quite a bit more time on offense. The only problem is that the amount of plays that would die because of Ek's lack of skill would more than offset any defense that he plays.
He actually had some quality passing ability. He doesn’t have the best shot in the world but when he gets it off it’s a nice shot.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He actually had some quality passing ability. He doesn’t have the best shot in the world but when he gets it off it’s a nice shot.
Ek has a well above average shot when it comes to velocity, and it's probably average as far as accuracy is concerned. The real problem is that his release is terribly slow. Not a great trait to have on a PP. He has the passing skills of a 3rd liner.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Ek has a well above average shot when it comes to velocity, and it's probably average as far as accuracy is concerned. The real problem is that his release is terribly slow. Not a great trait to have on a PP. He has the passing skills of a 3rd liner.
his passing ability is above a 3rd liner, just using the same argument as with Zucc he needs proper linemates to finish his quality passes. he could be much more offensive given the 2c role. he has the skill and talent but its not gonna be unleashed putting him in the shutdown role even though he is solid in it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
his passing ability is above a 3rd liner, just using the same argument as with Zucc he needs proper linemates to finish his quality passes. he could be much more offensive given the 2c role. he has the skill and talent but its not gonna be unleashed putting him in the shutdown role even though he is solid in it.

And with Foligno, Greenway and Kunin, who aren't skilled players, no less. He's not going to drive play on a top 6 line, but he doesn't need to.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
And with Foligno, Greenway and Kunin, who aren't skilled players, no less. He's not going to drive play on a top 6 line, but he doesn't need to.
agreed he wont drive the line but he can be a solid playmaking C with great defense which would work well with Fiala as Fiala creates on his own and Ek can make up for his turnovers with great defensive play.
Greenway and Kunin are both more skilled than Ek.
Kunin has a better release than Ek but what does Greenway have over him besides height?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
agreed he wont drive the line but he can be a solid playmaking C with great defense which would work well with Fiala as Fiala creates on his own and Ek can make up for his turnovers with great defensive play.

Kunin has a better release than Ek but what does Greenway have over him besides height?
Skating, passing, puck handling, Strength, shot.

Thinking that Ek can be a playmaking center is a really embarrassing take.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Skating, passing, puck handling, Strength, shot.

Thinking that Ek can be a playmaking center is a really embarrassing take.
youre so anti Ek its not even funny anymore. you have always been so low on the kid yet he has more skill and potential than youll ever give him. If they wise up and give him the 2C slot, youll see how good he can actually be in a scoring role.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Greenway's only positive quality right now is puck protection, and it hardly ever leads to anything anyway.

Neither are good puck handlers. Ek has a better shot.
Jordan Greenway's rank among Wild forwards this season at 5 on 5
CF% 4th
FF% 3rd
SF% 6th
GF% 4th
XGF% 2nd
SCF% 1st
HDCF% 3rd
Dzone starts 2nd most
Ozone start% 4th lowest

Goals 8th
Assists 3rd
Points 5th
Takeaways 1st
Hits 2nd

This talk that Greenway is anything but a very good young two-way player is beyond embarrassing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Jordan Greenway's rank among Wild forwards this season at 5 on 5
CF% 4th
FF% 3rd
SF% 6th
GF% 4th
XGF% 2nd
SCF% 1st
HDCF% 3rd
Dzone starts 2nd most
Ozone start% 4th lowest

Goals 8th
Assists 3rd
Points 5th
Takeaways 1st
Hits 2nd

This talk that Greenway is anything but a very good young two-way player is beyond embarrassing.

And his rankings in most of those top categories plummet when you look at him individually, and not give him credit for his line.

G/60: 13th
A/60: 5th
P/60: 12th

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And his rankings in most of those top categories plummet when you look at him individually, and not give him credit for his line.

G/60: 13th
A/60: 5th
P/60: 12th
It's actually 10th in goals with Kunin in 4th and Ek in 11th
3rd in Assists with Ek in 2nd and Kunin in 9th
9th in points with Ek in 6th and Kunin in 8th

Yeah, his line sure carried him:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad