• Adam Wilsby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Apologies for the delay I was literally underground yesterday so didn't have a chance to post.

Vote for the best prospect (with whatever reasoning you want) from the above poll.

Rankings:

1. Yaroslav Askarov (G, 11OA, 2020 Draft)
2. Joakim Kemell (RW, 17OA, 2022 Draft)
3. Matthew Wood (LW/C, 15OA, 2023 Draft)
4. Luke Evangelista (RW, 42OA, 2020 Draft)
5. Juuso Parssinen (C/LW, 210OA, 2019 Draft)
6. Philip Tomasino (RW, 24OA, 2019 Draft)
7. Tanner Molendyk (D, 24OA, 2023 Draft)
8. Fedor Svechkcov (C, 19OA, 2021 Draft
9. Zachary L'Heurex (LW, 27OA, 2021 Draft)
10. Spencer Stastney (D, 131OA, 2018 Draft)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm thinking:

Chistyakov

Schaefer
Lind
Afanasyev
I wouldn't be so bold as to vote down our own scouts on Nilsson vs. Lind, but I can definitely see us finishing up with Chistyakov, Schaefer, Nilsson, Lind, Afanaseyev as the final top-15.

Probably Stastney would end up being the only head-scratcher for most external folks, because they didn't see him play 8 games like we did.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
You fools, Afanasyev is not even top 20, let alone 11

Not sure between Lind and Schaefer personally.
Lind. he was my vote

I wouldn't be so bold as to vote down our own scouts on Nilsson vs. Lind, but I can definitely see us finishing up with Chistyakov, Schaefer, Nilsson, Lind, Afanaseyev as the final top-15.

Probably Stastney would end up being the only head-scratcher for most external folks, because they didn't see him play 8 games like we did.
hopefully we keep going to like 30 or however many prospects we have in the system.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'll say the difference between 10 or 11 and 18 or 20 will probably be the closest it's been in my time of following our prospects closely.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Schaefer being voted out of the top ten is ridiculous lol

Schaefer didnt show alot of progression in d+1 and was drafted 32nd overall in a not deep draft and a couple years ago that wouldve been early 2nd round instead of 1st. Stastney i think may be the only outlier in the top 10 personally. We have alot of good forward prospects at the moment.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Schaefer being voted out of the top ten is ridiculous lol
I think most outside observers would agree. However I think the way a lot of people look at things here, it's really heavily weighted by what they see locally... either directly with the Preds, or at least at a slight remove in Milwaukee. And only a few people follow prospects elsewhere at all. So Schaefer being relatively "new" to us, and a name people didn't really recognize or follow here until this year's trade deadline, it hurts his ranking here.

His junior production for example is about on par with Afanaseyev's, Schaefer was drafted higher, and Afanaseyev hasn't shown much as a pro yet either, so probably anybody outside of this forum would be scratching their heads about us ranking Afanaseyev over him. But we're going to rank Afanaseyev ahead, because we don't really follow junior players and we've seen Afanaseyev longer, gotten to know him better.

I think think a good argument against Schaefer is what we saw from him at the WJC. Taken off that stacked 1st line in Seattle, he was just a pure 4th line checker on a team that was comprised of other top young talents bound for the NHL at the WJC. Afanaseyev back in his day also played in the WJC. And chipped in at least a little offense. Heck, even Austin Watson back in his day was a big scorer at the WJC, not just a 4th line grinder. So if you look at things that way, maybe it can help put Schaefer's likely projection into better perspective? Just being "A 1st Round Pick" garners him accolades from the prospect-watcher people outside of this forum. But if you really think about it, he probably doesn't project to being a significant NHLer, if he ever makes the NHL at all. :dunno:

Reactions: maplepred

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I think most outside observers would agree. However I think the way a lot of people look at things here, it's really heavily weighted by what they see locally... either directly with the Preds, or at least at a slight remove in Milwaukee. And only a few people follow prospects elsewhere at all. So Schaefer being relatively "new" to us, and a name people didn't really recognize or follow here until this year's trade deadline, it hurts his ranking here.

His junior production for example is about on par with Afanaseyev's, Schaefer was drafted higher, and Afanaseyev hasn't shown much as a pro yet either, so probably anybody outside of this forum would be scratching their heads about us ranking Afanaseyev over him. But we're going to rank Afanaseyev ahead, because we don't really follow junior players and we've seen Afanaseyev longer, gotten to know him better.

I think think a good argument against Schaefer is what we saw from him at the WJC. Taken off that stacked 1st line in Seattle, he was just a pure 4th line checker on a team that was comprised of other top young talents bound for the NHL at the WJC. Afanaseyev back in his day also played in the WJC. And chipped in at least a little offense. Heck, even Austin Watson back in his day was a big scorer at the WJC, not just a 4th line grinder. So if you look at things that way, maybe it can help put Schaefer's likely projection into better perspective? Just being "A 1st Round Pick" garners him accolades from the prospect-watcher people outside of this forum. But if you really think about it, he probably doesn't project to being a significant NHLer, if he ever makes the NHL at all. :dunno:
That’s a good breakdown and yes that makes sense. I mean I just see it as poile and Trotz wanted him as a big piece of the ekholm trade so there must be something they like in him. He made a little progression but not a ton I get that. I still see him developing into a solid third liner unless he really takes a dump in his progression. Whereas guys like L’Heureux, Afanasyev and such I don’t see as much higher than a fourth liner. I hope I’m wrong. Just really like schaefers game and size. Rarely caught out of position and so sound defensively with some definite offensive instincts.
Time will tell, any one of these guys could impress or disappoint it’s so early.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Personally I think Afanasyev will either bounce between the AHL and NHL for a few years or, more likely, head back to Russia/Europe.
Agreed. Not that their playstyles are similar but I could see him having a similar trajectory like Anthony Richard did. Probably capable of being a replacement level type of player in the NHL, but continually gets passed up by better players. There is hopefully going to be a lot of competition for callups among the Ads next season (and even to hold NHL spots for many guys) so it is time for Afanasyev to really assert himself if he doesn't want to get passed over. He needs to play more like he did in the Ads playoff run last year than he did in the regular season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
These guys are all going to be playing under a new system in theory so who knows what they will do. Just about any of then from #1 on down could fall on their face and be out of the league in the next couple of years.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
These guys are all going to be playing under a new system in theory so who knows what they will do. Just about any of then from #1 on down could fall on their face and be out of the league in the next couple of years.

Players favored for certain reasons over others by Poile and Hynes may not be by Trotz and Brunette and vice versa. There's such a thin line separating the successful teams and players each year, it's hard to predict what can happen when the dynamics of a team change like this.

Reactions: Scoresberg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad