• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean, let me know what NHL-drafted Russian prospects who make the top line/top pair in the KHL don't at least try the NHL. They try if they can. It's the default expectation. Maybe you don't follow prospects around the rest of the NHL, fair enough. But some of us here who do are telling you that's the default expectation. There are sensible economic reasons why some wait until later to come over, but they still do eventually try. They aren't dumb and their agents aren't dumb, they want to make the money they need when they can make it, at the time that fits their life circumstances.

To me, if Chistyakov continues the trajectory he has been on so far... and make no mistake a top-pair KHL defenseman on a top team at 21-22 yrs old is EXTREMELY rare... then he's going to be a big star there, and the odds of him coming here jump dramatically closer to 100%, not just 50%. I only said 50% to allow for a little "drop off" in case last year was an anomaly for some reason. Most of us here don't really follow prospects, and I also have ramped that down dramatically in the last decade myself, so I'm in that boat too, at least in terms of trying to watch players. But in terms of following other leagues and other teams from the armchair, I'm telling you what he has done so far is far far above the normal curve, and most Russian players in that category - by FAR most - do come to try their hand in the NHL. If you don't want to believe it, fine, but that's just denying reality.
Hi. While I'm a fan of the Preds, I'm also a Jackets fan. Sergei Mozyakin.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hi. While I'm a fan of the Preds, I'm also a Jackets fan. Sergei Mozyakin.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Yes. One out of hundreds. Drafted 21 years ago. Are we past “extremely rare” with that one example?

To me, it’s a lot like saying “don’t rank NCAA prospects” because once upon a time Jimmy Vesey didn’t sign. Yeah, it has happened. Very rarely. And there’s no valid reason to project that rarity onto a different player when the vast majority of cases go a different way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean, let me know what NHL-drafted Russian prospects who make the top line/top pair in the KHL don't at least try the NHL. They try if they can. It's the default expectation. Maybe you don't follow prospects around the rest of the NHL, fair enough. But some of us here who do are telling you that's the default expectation. There are sensible economic reasons why some wait until later to come over, but they still do eventually try. They aren't dumb and their agents aren't dumb, they want to make the money they need when they can make it, at the time that fits their life circumstances.

To me, if Chistyakov continues the trajectory he has been on so far... and make no mistake a top-pair KHL defenseman on a top team at 21-22 yrs old is EXTREMELY rare... then he's going to be a big star there, and the odds of him coming here jump dramatically closer to 100%, not just 50%. I only said 50% to allow for a little "drop off" in case last year was an anomaly for some reason. Most of us here don't really follow prospects, and I also have ramped that down dramatically in the last decade myself, so I'm in that boat too, at least in terms of trying to watch players. But in terms of following other leagues and other teams from the armchair, I'm telling you what he has done so far is far far above the normal curve, and most Russian players in that category - by FAR most - do come to try their hand in the NHL. If you don't want to believe it, fine, but that's just denying reality.
That's all well and good, but until he's in the states it doesn't really matter to me.

Thing is with me I'm pretty consistent, I feel about the same with college players, until they sign that contract I don'tworry about them either. Only difference with them is you know they are going to be in North America and there is a greater benefit to them most of the time to get the contract ball rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce